The State of the Hearth Address

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: The State of the Hearth Address

Postby Jackard » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:41 pm

astounding! the OP is written in such a manner that it actively resists being read, yet apparently important information is concealed within!

I recall opening this thread but must have closed it when my finely tuned bullshit detectors went into overdrive. perhaps a translation can be found later in the thread!! ah, here we are:

Thank you Gulluoglu wrote:We started this game 54 weeks ago, and opened it to the first players. Since we're happy with how things have been going with the game, and in recognition of our year anniversary, we want to tell you how things are looking now.

We, the developers, never expected the game to be where it is now when we first started it; more and more people are playing as time goes on, and we have about 30000 registered accounts with 3000 of those considered active accounts. It's natural for new challenges to always present themselves, though we think the game is relatively stable as is and the growth of the game and user base is proof of this to us. Further development, however, is still obviously necessary and important.

We are at a point where we feel band aid fixes and temporary issues are not as important as working on larger developments pertaining to the betterment of the game in the longer term, and because of this developmental additions to the game will seem to come less frequently. We hope that despite the less frequent updates, everyone will be patient while we develop.

One of the issues we all face is obviously the game server and our growing game population, and it is something we are thinking about too.

Another issue we want to address is a system that can replace the current system of Learning Points for skill acquisition and advancement, while still maintaining the fun and usefulness of that system. This is what we are working on now.

One other thing we are working on is improving the game world's map generation to make the game have more meaningful terrains as it pertains to the game world as a whole. (Maybe better flow from one terrain into another or regional variation, etc, not sure here.)

We want to make crafting more interesting, because the system needs work in the areas of time spent and difficulty in crafting something with less random senseless dice rolling.

You all rock, stick with us for another year. Here, have some cake.

well thats good to hear
“A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.”
Jackard

Postby jorb » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:03 am

Some things will require more time, Jackard, I am sorry to say so. We are working with fundamental redesigns. The OP was written in poor imitation of several American Presidents, and an attempt to assure you that we have by no means stopped working on the game, but are, in fact, more active than ever, now trying to work two sessions per week. The game is steadily progressing while we try to do fun stuff updates once a week to keep a bit of the fun in it for ourselves.

In this process we must try and test ideas, and that is a process of trial and error. We have stumbled several times on the way, and I expect that we shall again, for the issues facing us are not entirely trivial.

... and that is not an apology, but a simple statement of fact. :)
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Chakravanti » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:05 am

jorb wrote:Some things will require more time... We are working with fundamental redesigns.

Don't apologize for THAT. Fuck the naysayers and the quitters because you've more of a following than you can sustain. There are several key systems that require this before new content can be effectively delivered and we who have been around long enough to give a shit AND know what we're tlaking about, while some of us may not have the patience, do appreciate the necessity of such work and look forward to it's completion. Thanks for the token updates in the meantime

Autospeed ftw.
Well what is this that I can't see
With ice cold hands takin' hold of me
Well I am death, none can excel
-Ralph Stanley, O Death!
Chakravanti

Postby Ando » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:46 am

Jackard wrote:astounding! the OP is written in such a manner that it actively resists being read, yet apparently important information is concealed within!

I, for one, greatly enjoyed the form and style of the OP. I'm impressed that a non-native speaker of my language has such a deep command of it, as to be able to write archaic but expressive prose, and write it correctly. I liked it. It brought me joy.

Bravo, sir. Bravo.
--
Ando

Postby Jackard » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:42 am

jorb wrote:Some things will require more time, we are working with fundamental redesigns.

and I already pointed out that I have no problem with that, it is good news

the only issue here was delivering that news in a deliberately obscure manner
Jackard

Postby ThirdEmperor » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:26 am

But if it hadn't been delivered in said obscure fashion, there would never have been a hilarious photo of Avu yelling about cake while Abe Lincoln watched! Plus, I could read of just fine, this may have something to do with my mastery of the bullshitese language though.
ThirdEmperor

Postby Chakravanti » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:40 am

I totally agree. THat pic was priceless and totally worth wading through the archaic prose.
Well what is this that I can't see
With ice cold hands takin' hold of me
Well I am death, none can excel
-Ralph Stanley, O Death!
Chakravanti

Previous

Return to Announcements