Game Development: Stuff 6

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Stuff 6

Postby Avu » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:31 am

Potjeh wrote:You know what would make seedbags really fine? Merging. Make them take 4 leather and 4 string to make, take up 2x2 space in inventory and provide 6x6 slots for seeds. Even better, 3x3 in inv for 9x9 slots.

YES!
"Since all men count themselves righteous, and since
no righteous man raises his hand against the innocent,
a man need only strike another to make him evil."
Avu

Postby serpentyngallery » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:36 am

Avu wrote:
Potjeh wrote:You know what would make seedbags really fine? Merging. Make them take 4 leather and 4 string to make, take up 2x2 space in inventory and provide 6x6 slots for seeds. Even better, 3x3 in inv for 9x9 slots.

YES!

Double Yes!

Funny thing, at least I think it's funny. The poor man's belt still takes a full piece of leather, even though we can now make leather strips.... ooo... time to put in some Leather Strip... while I turn my hides into strips... of leather...
Ezekiel wrote: He called me what I believe to be an "ass fetus" in Russian and then killed me.
serpentyngallery

Postby keyn_thror » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:42 pm

Potjeh wrote:Make them take 4 leather and 4 string to make, take up 2x2 space in inventory and provide 6x6 slots for seeds.

Agreed!

Would make much less containers to store and close/open to sort seeds.

3x3 is a bit too much I think.
2x2 fits perfectly in pretty much everything - chests, cupboards, straw baskets and inventory.
Victory needs no explanation. Defeat allows none.
Победа не требует оправдания. Поражение не имеет его.
keyn_thror

Postby Dwarfu » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:54 pm

A q18 chicken salad gave:

4.0 CON
4.0 PER
4.0 DEX

at 3.0 filling (or 30 if you go by the smaller, incremental phase numbers).
Dwarfu

Postby Whitehead1771 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:15 pm

now asking for bigger seeds bags...come on.

A way better idea would be veggie bags that take 2x2(inventory) and give 4x4 space(straw bastket worth) and holds all the harvestable stuff not held by seed bags.
Have them function like seedbags....can plant / cook straight from them.
What fate can be worse than to know we have no one but ourselves to blame for our misfortunes!
- Sophocles
Whitehead1771

Postby DatOneGuy » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:17 pm

Whitehead1771 wrote:

A way better idea would be veggie bags that take 2x2(inventory) and give 4x4 space(straw bastket worth) and holds all the harvestable stuff not held by seed bags.

16 is not divisible by 3, so I'm not too keen on that. If it was 3x3 or 6x6 sure.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Hi. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
DatOneGuy

Postby Whitehead1771 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:30 pm

DatOneGuy wrote:
Whitehead1771 wrote:

16 is not divisible by 3, so I'm not too keen on that. If it was 3x3 or 6x6 sure.

Agreed.
my main point though was seedbags multiply inventory space by a factor of 9, but only hold seeds.
I would like something that multiplies inventory space that holds the other harvestable stuff, so maybe 5x3 vertically. for maybe a 1x3 "Produce bag".
with a return of 5 times the space used in inventory.
With cost to make slightly higher than 3 seedbags.....3 linen and a leather strip maybe.
What fate can be worse than to know we have no one but ourselves to blame for our misfortunes!
- Sophocles
Whitehead1771

Postby Zamte » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:38 pm

Chakravanti wrote:
Zamte wrote:I'd much prefer if we could get a container which you could right click seed bags onto, and it'd move the seeds contained in the bags into it for extraction later

I don't understand why? You can cook, grind flour and plant from seedbags. If you're savvy you can even Q sort with them. WHy do you want to remove seeds from the bags?

I use chests and cupboards to sort, because most of my fields are either 3x3 or 10x10. The 3x3s can be sorted in my inventory, the 10x10s require several cupboards. Removing seeds from bags is kind of a hassle. First I open the bag, then the cupboard, then scroll the mouse wheel up on the bag to move them to inventory, then scroll it down to move them to cupboard. It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the fact that my mouse is one of those "smooth scroll" wheels, so I can't count ticks. I invariably end up tossing flasks, seed bags, and whatever else in the cupboards. Due to the way shift-moving works (it always moves to last open "container") I then have to manually move the items back, which is obnoxious.

I'd be perfectly happy if you could even just right click seed bags on any container to empty them, just give us a way to empty them that doesn't involve taking seeds out one at a time manually.

Also, bigger seed bags, preferably ones that can hold all types of crop related items, would be nice. In fact, what would be really nice is a seed bag which simply allows the seed put into it (it'd only hold one type at a time) to be stacked up to 100. Stacking is something that's become pretty integral to games, and we have a severe lack of it here. There's really no reason my whole backpack, which I can fit 24 giant bars of steel into, or six large boards, or even a dozen logs, should only hold two dozen tiny seeds.
Zamte

Postby Xelen » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:25 am

I had an idea for the linen crates if you were interested. Since they are made of fabric and a frame, it would be plausible if they could be able to collapse and compact. It would be of great use if they could collapse into an item that is picked up, which takes something like 2x2, 1x4, 2x3 or similar space in the inventory. It could help for when the need for a container on the fly arises for things like foraging and etc. Might even make it a slightly more practical things for wealthier characters who already own chests and the like to own and use.

Edit: In case it wasn't 100% clear... you would have to take the container back out of your inventory to hold items in it. Basically just like carrying a portable container for on demand usage.
Last edited by Xelen on Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xelen

Postby DatOneGuy » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:19 am

The real problem here is that anyone with moderate success will easily have too many crops per harvest to be able to easily sort their quality to the point where you could waste 4 times as much time as you did harvesting the field.

With current mechanics of 'seedbags' or containers, it's not the answer unless they are much bigger...
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Hi. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
DatOneGuy

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements