Stuff: I Can has moar!

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Stuff: I Can has moar!

Postby stickman » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:09 am

stickman

Postby ThirdEmperor » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:28 am

Well this sucks, I just lost all my leather, and now it actually has a use.
ThirdEmperor

Postby weirdguy » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:49 am

Kind of sucks how old worldians didn't have corn oil or potatoes or tomatoes, eh?

At the moment we'll just have to stick with animal fats.
weirdguy

Postby sabinati » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:59 am

loftar wrote:Well, Jorb seems to have a thing for fishsticks, as he has wanted them for a long time. :) I have no particular feelings for them in either direction.

Other than those particular things that we must have because it is such an integral part of life (like tea), we mostly try to judge from whether it seems (purely subjectively, of course) to fit the environment, quite simply. At times when we are doubtful, we try to use actual historical arguments. :)

I'm actually not categorically opposed to potatoes in the game, to be honest. I'd just prefer to add more kinds of staple foods from the elder days before considering them. (If for no other reason, it seems they could easily become a universal component in all kinds of recipes and outcompete all the other goodies.)

And yes, linseed oil would be possible to use for oil; it's mostly that the cauldrons are kind of hard to modify to use it instead of water. Also, I've let myself understand that linseed oil is mostly avoided for culinary purposes, as it has a slightly odd flavor. I haven't tried it myself, though.

linseed oil is typically what they call the industrial-use oil from flax (at least in english). the food oil is just called flaxseed oil and i have some in my fridge (admittedly i haven't used it yet, i actually got it for seasoning cast iron pans).

grapeseed, hempseed, hazelnut oil, and possibly some others from crops that currently exist are more common, hempseed oil in particular has a great flavor in vinaigrettes. i don't think i would fry with any of them though. grapeseed oil maybe.

animal fat could be used though.
sabinati

Postby Potjeh » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:59 am

Lard from pigs would be neat. People just got second generation piglets now, so it's not too late to add a lard q and quantity stats, and set it to 10 for all existing pigs. Pigs could use something that's unique for them.

Anyway, I love fish sticks, finally a use for salmon and pike. I generally like batter, but I think it should use more eggs (4, maybe) to be a good sink for them. I hope we get more recipes with batter, like fried chicken or french toast.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby sabinati » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:02 am

Potjeh wrote:Lard from pigs would be neat. People just got second generation piglets now, so it's not too late to add a lard q and quantity stats, and set it to 10 for all existing pigs. Pigs could use something that's unique for them.

Anyway, I love fish sticks, finally a use for salmon and pike. I generally like batter, but I think it should use more eggs (4, maybe) to be a good sink for them. I hope we get more recipes with batter, like fried chicken or french toast.

or just base it off of meat q/quan (since conceivably beef fat could be used for frying as well)
sabinati

Postby martinuzz » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:03 am

Pancakes and chicken salad are already a decent sink for eggs.
Why not use the frying pan and butter, for the fish-sticks and onion rings, if the cauldron is that hard to change?
martinuzz

Postby Potjeh » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:04 am

Meh, too boring. Pigs should be multidimensional like cows and sheep. Speaking of sheep, I sure hope we get feta soon, my sheep beat my cow in milk q :(
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby loftar » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:25 am

Potjeh wrote:Lard from pigs would be neat.

That would be neat, actually. I didn't think of that. Of course, in the long run, animal butchering should be extended quite a lot, but lard could probably be made useful quite fast.

Potjeh wrote:Speaking of sheep, I sure hope we get feta soon, my sheep beat my cow in milk q

I would love to make use of the sheep milk. It does, technically, even exist; it's just that it cannot really be made useful right now. I'd need to revamp the substance system in order to usefully be able to unify cow and sheep milk.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby sabinati » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:33 am

martinuzz wrote:Pancakes and chicken salad are already a decent sink for eggs.
Why not use the frying pan and butter, for the fish-sticks and onion rings, if the cauldron is that hard to change?

i was actually surprised the frying pan wasn't used
sabinati

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements