Stuff: I Can has moar!

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Stuff: I Can has moar!

Postby loftar » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:04 am

It's mostly because I wanted it to be available to those without access to metal.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Darki » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:16 am

here you go reposting sumthing what you gotta add :3 becus people are like wtf u can make shit out of pig meat ?
ImageImage add those to sausage menu meat :P
Darki

Postby FunnyMan » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:51 am

Darn. Came to give a bug report on the hardened leather loop, and discovered that I could have saved a bunch of leather and beeswax by reading two more posts before I started playing. :oops:

As far as mostly-historical cooking oil goes, I'd suggest olive oil. Olive Trees produce Raw Olives (which are essentially inedible due to bitterness). Raw Olives can be pressed into Olive Oil, which is used for cooking. (Having it produce amurca first is strictly optional, and likely not worth the effort.). Raw Olives could also be soaked in water (unheated cauldron, optionally with salt, when we get that) to produce edible Olives. Actually, there are a lot more ways to cure olives than I realized.

Or you could use a cauldron to cook butter into ghee, which has a high enough smoke point for frying.
FunnyMan

Postby thezood » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:57 am

"Raw Olives could also be soaked in water (unheated cauldron, optionally with salt, when we get that) to produce edible Olives", - no, raw olives must be putted into curding tub or something like it, because in rl olives must be prepared long time until became edible.
thezood

Postby ThirdEmperor » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:45 am

You guys just want olives to make pizza.
ThirdEmperor

Postby FunnyMan » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:03 am

thezood wrote:raw olives must be putted into curding tub or something like it, because in rl olives must be prepared long time until became edible.

Yeah, probably a good idea. It's supposed to take about a month, but based on the crop cycle in H&H, that probably makes it like an 8 hour (in-game time) process.
FunnyMan

Postby L0ckAndL0ad » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:27 pm

Can someone post a screenstot with new leather armor please? Is it really looks like the one from Fallout?
Deculture!
Zero | Fairy | Frontier | Area 88
L0ckAndL0ad

Postby Potjeh » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:56 pm

If you do add lard, make sure we get cracklings as a by-product when we render it.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby Phalacrox » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:10 pm

sabinati wrote:
loftar wrote:Well, Jorb seems to have a thing for fishsticks, as he has wanted them for a long time. :) I have no particular feelings for them in either direction.

Other than those particular things that we must have because it is such an integral part of life (like tea), we mostly try to judge from whether it seems (purely subjectively, of course) to fit the environment, quite simply. At times when we are doubtful, we try to use actual historical arguments. :)

I'm actually not categorically opposed to potatoes in the game, to be honest. I'd just prefer to add more kinds of staple foods from the elder days before considering them. (If for no other reason, it seems they could easily become a universal component in all kinds of recipes and outcompete all the other goodies.)

And yes, linseed oil would be possible to use for oil; it's mostly that the cauldrons are kind of hard to modify to use it instead of water. Also, I've let myself understand that linseed oil is mostly avoided for culinary purposes, as it has a slightly odd flavor. I haven't tried it myself, though.

linseed oil is typically what they call the industrial-use oil from flax (at least in english). the food oil is just called flaxseed oil and i have some in my fridge (admittedly i haven't used it yet, i actually got it for seasoning cast iron pans).

grapeseed, hempseed, hazelnut oil, and possibly some others from crops that currently exist are more common, hempseed oil in particular has a great flavor in vinaigrettes. i don't think i would fry with any of them though. grapeseed oil maybe.

animal fat could be used though.

Hello :roll: . Sunflower crop. Sunflower oil. Sunflower oil is the most used oil of all in cooking.
Phalacrox

Postby sabinati » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:54 pm

Phalacrox wrote:
sabinati wrote:
loftar wrote:Well, Jorb seems to have a thing for fishsticks, as he has wanted them for a long time. :) I have no particular feelings for them in either direction.

Other than those particular things that we must have because it is such an integral part of life (like tea), we mostly try to judge from whether it seems (purely subjectively, of course) to fit the environment, quite simply. At times when we are doubtful, we try to use actual historical arguments. :)

I'm actually not categorically opposed to potatoes in the game, to be honest. I'd just prefer to add more kinds of staple foods from the elder days before considering them. (If for no other reason, it seems they could easily become a universal component in all kinds of recipes and outcompete all the other goodies.)

And yes, linseed oil would be possible to use for oil; it's mostly that the cauldrons are kind of hard to modify to use it instead of water. Also, I've let myself understand that linseed oil is mostly avoided for culinary purposes, as it has a slightly odd flavor. I haven't tried it myself, though.

linseed oil is typically what they call the industrial-use oil from flax (at least in english). the food oil is just called flaxseed oil and i have some in my fridge (admittedly i haven't used it yet, i actually got it for seasoning cast iron pans).

grapeseed, hempseed, hazelnut oil, and possibly some others from crops that currently exist are more common, hempseed oil in particular has a great flavor in vinaigrettes. i don't think i would fry with any of them though. grapeseed oil maybe.

animal fat could be used though.

Hello :roll: . Sunflower crop. Sunflower oil. Sunflower oil is the most used oil of all in cooking.

i'm sure soybean aka vegetable oil, canola oil, olive oil and peanut oil are more frequently used, but sunflower oil is a good and versatile oil.
sabinati

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements