Stuff: I Can has moar!

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Stuff: I Can has moar!

Postby Nobody » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:46 am

Nice stuff, but only one question: what that shovel does? No difference in digging clay or soil with or without it equipped. Am i doing it wrong?

edit: also, where are combat moves for it?
Nobody

Postby Dwarfu » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:48 am

Can I get a reference link on batter and fish sticks, 'cause I find it funny that potatoes are shunned but fish sticks and birthday cake are in.
Dwarfu

Postby DatOneGuy » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:55 am

Nobody wrote:Nice stuff, but only one question: what that shovel does? No difference in digging clay or soil with or without it equipped. Am i doing it wrong?

It makes you dig clay faster, I can guarantee that, using one now.

Dwarfu wrote:Can I get a reference link on batter and fish sticks, 'cause I find it funny that potatoes are shunned but fish sticks and birthday cake are in.
\
BAtter/Fishsticks are both in, check for it yourself ingame. :|
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Hi. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
DatOneGuy

Postby Nonsapient » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:00 am

Cutthroat armor looks like it came from fallout. I love it.

At least the crafting menu image of it.
Nonsapient

Postby Dwarfu » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:01 am

DatOneGuy wrote:BAtter/Fishsticks are both in, check for it yourself ingame. :|

Really? I just figured sabinati was making stuff up and posting FEP info for shits and giggles.

I said a reference link. Additional info on what the devs used to decide (other than whim) to put in batter, fish sticks and onion rings (and birthday cake), but can wax philosophical on not including potatoes.
Dwarfu

Postby Nobody » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:01 am

DatOneGuy wrote:
Nobody wrote:Nice stuff, but only one question: what that shovel does? No difference in digging clay or soil with or without it equipped. Am i doing it wrong?

It makes you dig clay faster, I can guarantee that, using one now.

Found my mistake, i started to dig with it equipped, and after i dug couple of pieces i took it out from equipment window, but digging speed remained the same though. Little bug. Anyway thanks for nice stuff guys.
Nobody

Postby loftar » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:35 am

I don't think the fishsticks and onion rings are that odd. Deep-frying as a cooking technique has been used in Europe for millenia by now, hasn't it? It is true that fishsticks "as such" are a much newer invention, but fried fish certainly isn't. I don't know, I admit, if using batter in combination with it is a newer invention or not, but it seems like something The Ancestors (bless them) could very well have done.

Do correct me if I'm wrong.

Edit: It is true that some sort of oil should be introduced so that it can be done properly, of course.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Dwarfu » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:46 am

loftar wrote:... but it seems like something they could very well have done.

Yeah, I wasn't being derogatory or poking a stick at you guys or anything, just being curious and trying to get a bit of insight on your thought processes when it comes to the historcal/absolute/would have/should have/could have arguements of inclusion versus 'Hey, it's a damn game.'

loftar wrote:Do correct me if I'm wrong.

Wasn't a question of wrong or right, really, especially since I have no knowledge of historical cooking with batter, etc., so I couldn't argue any points anyways.

loftar wrote:...some sort of oil...

Flaxseed?
Dwarfu

Postby Nonsapient » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:54 am

Dwarfu wrote:Flaxseed?

Yes please. That way it'll have a use
Nonsapient

Postby loftar » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:55 am

Well, Jorb seems to have a thing for fishsticks, as he has wanted them for a long time. :) I have no particular feelings for them in either direction.

Other than those particular things that we must have because it is such an integral part of life (like tea), we mostly try to judge from whether it seems (purely subjectively, of course) to fit the environment, quite simply. At times when we are doubtful, we try to use actual historical arguments. :)

I'm actually not categorically opposed to potatoes in the game, to be honest. I'd just prefer to add more kinds of staple foods from the elder days before considering them. (If for no other reason, it seems they could easily become a universal component in all kinds of recipes and outcompete all the other goodies.)

And yes, linseed oil would be possible to use for oil; it's mostly that the cauldrons are kind of hard to modify to use it instead of water. Also, I've let myself understand that linseed oil is mostly avoided for culinary purposes, as it has a slightly odd flavor. I haven't tried it myself, though.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements