Server Downtime: Electrical Substation Explodes

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Server Downtime: Electrical Substation Explodes

Postby jorb » Sun May 31, 2009 11:57 pm

An electrical substation/switchgear north of Stockholm has burned down/exploded due to a power surge.

Dagens Nyheter, in Swedish.

According to the news, it's pretty bad. Power even went out at my place for a few seconds (Spoiled by modern life? Nah.) Our DNS server, conveniently located in Loftar's basement -- a few kilometers, tops, from that smoke plume -- will be down until that little thing is taken care of. Considering the taxes I pay, I expect them up in a couple of hours.

Oh, and the game server itself is also down, courtesy of our good friends over at Bay12Games, not that it matters. ;)

I myself am drinking a some polish vodka with Pear and Melon juice. Like Nero. Watching Rome burn. We should implement spirits in H&H. :)
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Re: Server Downtime: Electrical Substation Explodes

Postby Milaha » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:00 am

It's our job to break things isn't it. ;)
Milaha

Postby Malicus » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:06 am

"It's our job to break things isn't it. ;)"

Indeed, it is, and we're quite good at it, too! I mean, I already have a plan for something that needs to be "tested" when the server is back up, as I posted there. Though we need an expendable guinea pig...

Edit: Quote tag no worky?
Malicus

Postby Vattic » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:33 am

And you have a picture and everything. I am surprised that there are enough of us bay12ers to cause a server to crash but then I'm not certain how many of us there are.
Vattic

Postby Ferinex » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:43 am

Actually Shadowlord was referring to L4, a member of AnywhereBB, not B12 :] SL is also a member of ABB.

So it was our fault, not yours. Eat it.
Ferinex

Postby Lightning4 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:00 am

Haha, yeah. I tried logging in during this time and actually managed to get in, with some IP redirecting and stuff. My client crashed and assumably brought down the whole server.

Sorry. :(
Lightning4

Postby jorb » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:04 am

Lightning4 wrote:Haha, yeah. I tried logging in during this time and actually managed to get in, with some IP redirecting and stuff. My client crashed and assumably brought down the whole server.

Sorry. :(

Nothing to apologize for. The sooner we find these holes/leaks/bugs/issues the better. Thank you for crashing the thing in an innovative way. :)
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Dwarfu » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:23 am

[quote="Ferinex"]not B12 :][/quote]

That plume clearly indicates some sort of magma vent has been tapped. B12 indeed. Expect the entire area to be encased in obsidian soon.
Dwarfu

Postby Vattic » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:30 am

I'd say a burning dwarf had got thirsty and found his way into the booze stockpile but it could be any number of things :P.
Vattic

Postby RaptorJedi » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:34 am

Well the site is working now.
RaptorJedi

Next

Return to Announcements