Lesser update: Barter stand

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Lesser update: Barter stand

Postby theTrav » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:05 am

sounds great, linen and cave bulbs can now be used as currency

JUST AS GOD INTENDED!
theTrav

Postby DatOneGuy » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:12 am

sabinati wrote:is your alt kinned... or partied?

Just for sake of answering anyway: Kinned, has full access to everything that's mine.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Hi. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
DatOneGuy

Postby gt4329b » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:39 am

So, an example to be sure I understand: if I'm selling cavebulbs and I want someone to pay me in hard metal bars ...but I don't have any bars (of any kind) in my inv, how do I specify "bars" as the payment medium/price?
"Also, the game was never user friendly." - jorb
gt4329b

Postby loftar » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:41 am

gt4329b wrote:So, an example to be sure I understand: if I'm selling cavebulbs and I want someone to pay me in hard metal bars ...but I don't have any bars (of any kind) in my inv, how do I specify "bars" as the payment medium/price?

You cannot. You need at least one item to "seed" the stand with.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby DatOneGuy » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:48 am

gt4329b wrote:So, an example to be sure I understand: if I'm selling cavebulbs and I want someone to pay me in hard metal bars ...but I don't have any bars (of any kind) in my inv, how do I specify "bars" as the payment medium/price?

Due to the nature of how they work the person with the bars should be the one making the stand generally.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Hi. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
DatOneGuy

Postby gt4329b » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:02 am

loftar wrote:

You cannot. You need at least one item to "seed" the stand with.

That's what I was afraid of :/

Still, awesome that we have this capability at all -- thanks!
"Also, the game was never user friendly." - jorb
gt4329b

Postby Potjeh » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:10 am

DatOneGuy wrote:THESE COINS, YOU MADE THEM USELESS-ER.

I'd say it's quite the opposite.

Previously if you had access to a marketplace but no mint and metal, and you saw let's say a sword in one of the stalls, you had to set up a stall to make enough coins to buy it. Problem is, that can take a while, especially since it's hard to guess what items will sell well. By the time you got enough coins, the sword might get sold and the owner might not restock. Hell, the whole market might go inactive, and you'd get stuck with a bunch of useless coins.

Now, if you want that sword and the swordsmith needs repair bricks, he can set up a vendor stall and a barter stall. You come to the market with an amount of bricks equal to the value of the sword, get coin at the barter stall and buy the sword at the vendor stall.

Sure, this doesn't make sense for such a 1:1 exchange, but it makes a lot of sense if the stall owner is buying multiple things (let's say bricks, chants, bulbs and linen) and selling multiple things (swords, plates and helmets). Setting up all the barter combos would take not only a lot of stalls, but also a lot of identical items for sale. Crafting 4 swords in advance is a more risky business move than crafting just one. And there's also the case where the buyer doesn't have enough of any single item type to buy the sword, but has enough in multiple types. By converting them all into coins at a barter stall, he can buy that sword with half bricks and half chants for example.

In short, coins become useful as an intermediate good in trade, and this increased usefulness might even increase their perceived value, maybe even making them acceptable as a primary trade good.

Of course, it'd be a lot better if coins were stamped with a village seal, so a market village would have a degree of control over inflation by preventing third parties from flooding the market with coins without adding any actual desirable items to the market. Due to lack of no-q metal sinks, increase in number of coins in circulation that outpaces the offer of goods is a serious concern.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby KnownPredator » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:04 am

Here is a list of all the bugs and or faults that need to be addressed.

1) people can easily steal items that are put up for trade with theft act. If this is possible these items will never be used outside of their own town.

2) You can't see the Q of items that you want to get or are getting.

3) after trades are made, the person who presented the initial offer has to put up an item that he will be giving and take it back down, almost like a reset, in order for other people to use the stand.

4) It really shouldnt be able to be controlled ( putting up what they have and what they want ) on land by other people who do not own that land. It makes it so they can lock up your stand and make it so you cant use it.

5) to say what you want, you have to have that item to begin... unless im doing something wrong. Make it have a list of items you can choose from??
KnownPredator

Postby DatOneGuy » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:34 am

Potjeh wrote:
DatOneGuy wrote:THESE COINS, YOU MADE THEM USELESS-ER.

I'd say it's quite the opposite.

Previously if you had access to a marketplace but no mint and metal, and you saw let's say a sword in one of the stalls, you had to set up a stall to make enough coins to buy it. Problem is, that can take a while, especially since it's hard to guess what items will sell well. By the time you got enough coins, the sword might get sold and the owner might not restock. Hell, the whole market might go inactive, and you'd get stuck with a bunch of useless coins.

Now, if you want that sword and the swordsmith needs repair bricks, he can set up a vendor stall and a barter stall. You come to the market with an amount of bricks equal to the value of the sword, get coin at the barter stall and buy the sword at the vendor stall.

Sure, this doesn't make sense for such a 1:1 exchange, but it makes a lot of sense if the stall owner is buying multiple things (let's say bricks, chants, bulbs and linen) and selling multiple things (swords, plates and helmets). Setting up all the barter combos would take not only a lot of stalls, but also a lot of identical items for sale. Crafting 4 swords in advance is a more risky business move than crafting just one. And there's also the case where the buyer doesn't have enough of any single item type to buy the sword, but has enough in multiple types. By converting them all into coins at a barter stall, he can buy that sword with half bricks and half chants for example.

In short, coins become useful as an intermediate good in trade, and this increased usefulness might even increase their perceived value, maybe even making them acceptable as a primary trade good.

Of course, it'd be a lot better if coins were stamped with a village seal, so a market village would have a degree of control over inflation by preventing third parties from flooding the market with coins without adding any actual desirable items to the market. Due to lack of no-q metal sinks, increase in number of coins in circulation that outpaces the offer of goods is a serious concern.

I like coins simply because of that yes.

I mean sure this does work in such a case, where I could have 2 stands for example:
1 Pickaxe for 1 silver coin
1 Scythe for 1 silver coin
54 Carrot Cake for 2 silver coins (Durr hurr randumz)

1 Silver coin for 800 Bricks
1 Silver Coin for 40 Chants
1 Silver coin for 50 Cavebulbs

This would take 9 slots as opposed to 6, this is doable using the current system with them as a midway, the problem is that there isn't anything good to use as currency including coins. For example if I decided to use 1 q90+ steel as coin, most people would rather save up 100 steel coins as opposed to simply obtain the q90 steel. There really isn't anything that's hard to make (so it can't be duplicated easily by 'ANYONE' to flood the system with unwanted bullshit), but also doesn't have enough of a use that it won't just be taken out of the system. The only real counter to this is making sure that let's say only 99 q90+ steel is floating around at any given time, so that it can't be taken out of the system, this limits things. :/

The only thing I could think of to fit in it's place to use for such a system would be hq stone since it's a byproduct of making hq metal thus useless (besides for stone axes), and if you can make hq metal and do so often, you'll have it in spades.
DatOneGuy

Postby loftar » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:51 am

KnownPredator wrote:1) people can easily steal items that are put up for trade with theft act. If this is possible these items will never be used outside of their own town.

Of course they can. If they couldn't, the stand would be the ultimate container.

KnownPredator wrote:2) You can't see the Q of items that you want to get or are getting.

... Yes, you can. I did not manage to find an instance where it didn't work, at least. It's in the tooltip.

KnownPredator wrote:3) after trades are made, the person who presented the initial offer has to put up an item that he will be giving and take it back down, almost like a reset, in order for other people to use the stand.

That shouldn't be necessary. I'm pretty sure he just needs to collect the payment.

KnownPredator wrote:4) It really shouldnt be able to be controlled ( putting up what they have and what they want ) on land by other people who do not own that land. It makes it so they can lock up your stand and make it so you cant use it.

I think it should. I imagine villages would want to be able to set up stands where outsiders can trade.

KnownPredator wrote:5) to say what you want, you have to have that item to begin... unless im doing something wrong. Make it have a list of items you can choose from??

Making it a list has two problems:
1) It would be an enormous list.
2) It would be boring, because it would reveal items to players who didn't previously know they existed.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements