local resources

Forum for discussing in game politics, village relations and matters of justice.

Re: local resources

Postby azrid » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:53 pm

bmjclark wrote:Could also just tie the debuff to the item itself, making it so that holding that item for the next hour makes it so you can't log out or hearth. It's not an unsolveable problem i don't think.

make thread witht this idea
azrid

Postby VDZ » Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:55 pm

bmjclark wrote:
Zeler wrote:
bmjclark wrote:I still think grabbing a local resource should give you a redhanded debuff for an hour where you cant log out or hearth.

Place two alts, one alt gathers, the other one picks it up from the ground and logs off

Could also just tie the debuff to the item itself, making it so that holding that item for the next hour makes it so you can't log out or hearth. It's not an unsolveable problem i don't think.

Put item in wicker basket, have alt hearth home with basket. "But then just make lifting the basket give red-handed!" Put item in wicker basket, put basket in boat, have alt hearth home with boat. "But then make lifting boat give red-handed!" Put item in saddlebags, hearth home with horse; give anyone riding or leashing horse red-handed too I guess. Soon enough even just looking at anything near a local resource will give you red-handed, and people will still find exploits to get around it. Not to mention people are going to cheese this mechanic to give unsuspecting people red-handed without them knowing.
VDZ

Postby Ysh » Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:58 pm

VDZ wrote:
bmjclark wrote:
Zeler wrote:
Place two alts, one alt gathers, the other one picks it up from the ground and logs off

Could also just tie the debuff to the item itself, making it so that holding that item for the next hour makes it so you can't log out or hearth. It's not an unsolveable problem i don't think.

Put item in wicker basket, have alt hearth home with basket. "But then just make lifting the basket give red-handed!" Put item in wicker basket, put basket in boat, have alt hearth home with boat. "But then make lifting boat give red-handed!" Put item in saddlebags, hearth home with horse; give anyone riding or leashing horse red-handed too I guess. Soon enough even just looking at anything near a local resource will give you red-handed, and people will still find exploits to get around it.

Still this is solvable problem. You can not hearth with any inventory that is holding this item, and this property is transitive. You listing various way to solve it indicate that it is indeed solvable.

Of course, maybe it is messy to implement and I do not mean to suggest that I think this is good idea.
Kaios wrote:Spice Girls are integral to understanding Ysh's thought process when communicating, duly noted.

I have become victory of very nice Jordan Coles Contest! Enjoy my winning submit here if it pleasures you.
Ysh

Postby maze » Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:15 pm

Red handed on resource pickup would be a step in the right direction.
would then say being unable to drop or remove the item from inventory unless it's stolen.
and if someone is to steal it from you~ they'll end up with red handed since they KO'ed you or stole it from you.

-
1) Would also like resource timers to be hidden until you have atlest 50 int
2) a skill that would allow you to gather from local resources~ cost 30k-50k if you get knocked out you lose the skill and have to buy it again. that should really curve the 0 investment bot problem.
3) the red handed thing
WARNING! MY ENGISH SUCKS.
game ideas
maze

Postby VDZ » Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:13 pm

maze wrote:Red handed on resource pickup would be a step in the right direction.
would then say being unable to drop or remove the item from inventory unless it's stolen.
and if someone is to steal it from you~ they'll end up with red handed since they KO'ed you or stole it from you.

Disregarding the futility of attempts to 100% lock the resource to an online character and the side effects it would generate, even if somehow it would all perfectly work out and the alt would just get red-handed for an hour while keeping the resource in their inventory, what's stopping said alt from just wandering deep into a cave where they're near-impossible to find, or hell, just having the alt walk around randomly for a literal hour using a bot? The resource would still be effectively gone. And that's not even going into small palisade-house setups somewhere in the vicinity of the resource for the alt to walk to after collecting the resource. What's the next measure going to be, you become unable to move for a literal hour after collecting a resource to prevent these shenanigans?

maze wrote:2) a skill that would allow you to gather from local resources~ cost 30k-50k if you get knocked out you lose the skill and have to buy it again. that should really curve the 0 investment bot problem.

Yeah, because it worked so well against crime alts. Putting a few long study time curios in an alt's study table is such hard work.
VDZ

Postby Ysh » Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:15 pm

VDZ wrote:
maze wrote:Red handed on resource pickup would be a step in the right direction.

Disregarding the futility of attempts to 100% lock the resource to an online character and the side effects it would generate, even if somehow it would all perfectly work out and the alt would just get red-handed for an hour while keeping the resource in their inventory, what's stopping said alt from just wandering deep into a cave where they're near-impossible to find, or hell, just having the alt walk around randomly for a literal hour using a bot? The resource would still be effectively gone. And that's not even going into small palisade-house setups somewhere in the vicinity of the resource for the alt to walk to after collecting the resource. What's the next measure going to be, you become unable to move for a literal hour after collecting a resource to prevent these shenanigans?

These ''shenanigans'' have counterplay ability. There is no counterplay against offline character.
Kaios wrote:Spice Girls are integral to understanding Ysh's thought process when communicating, duly noted.

I have become victory of very nice Jordan Coles Contest! Enjoy my winning submit here if it pleasures you.
Ysh

Postby VDZ » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:44 pm

Ysh wrote:
VDZ wrote:

These ''shenanigans'' have counterplay ability. There is no counterplay against offline character.

Sure there is, just camp at their HF and wait for them to log back in. Just as easy as camping a ram to wreck said alt after they ran into a palisaded house.
VDZ

Postby Ysh » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:47 pm

VDZ wrote:
Ysh wrote:
VDZ wrote:

Sure there is, just camp at their HF and wait for them to log back in. Just as easy as camping a ram to wreck said alt after they ran into a palisaded house.

Alt could never log back in. Ram will eventually break into house.

Ysh

Postby VDZ » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:25 pm

Ysh wrote:Alt could never log back in. Ram will eventually break into house.

And find nothing there because red-handed has expired (or do you want to extend it to >24 hours?) and the alt has logged out with the resource. So in hindsight I was wrong: The palisade scenario is even worse, as you still need to wait for the alt to log in after ramming your way inside.
VDZ

Postby Ysh » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:28 pm

VDZ wrote:
Ysh wrote:Alt could never log back in. Ram will eventually break into house.

And find nothing there because red-handed has expired (or do you want to extend it to >24 hours?) and the alt has logged out with the resource. So in hindsight I was wrong: The palisade scenario is even worse, as you still need to wait for the alt to log in after ramming your way inside.

If we are going scorched earth, then yes, debuff for hold this item could last longer than ram time. This is solution, though again, I am not suggesting it is good one.

Though even if you do not do this, there is still counterplay. A man could destroy this safe palisade before resource will spawn, for example.

Ysh

PreviousNext

Return to The Moot