Way to go

Forum for discussing in game politics, village relations and matters of justice.

Re: Way to go

Postby Pal » Thu May 07, 2020 11:07 pm

IMHO devs can literally swim in money if they'll make PvE version of this game. Some people had admit here that PvP is not so important part of gameplay (for most of players). Game have great potential of survival/economic coop rpg, and audience of "funny farm" games - hundreds of thousands of players. Even in shit primitive games that not worth a 5% of Haven's mechanics. Also PvP here never was a strong part of the game, it's Benny Hill show, only really small audience can enjoy it.
You don't need too much imagination - with some improvements of UI such a great game can have 100k+ online on some servers, most of which will be only for people who like economics, trading, farming, exploring, cooperative gameplay etc. Some leaderboards and new mechanics for competition also would be fine in this way.
Again - literally devs would swim in money after this.

I wonder KO protection was implemented (I played before it), I thinks it's a good signal.
Pal

Postby MagicManICT » Fri May 08, 2020 3:58 am

Pal wrote:IMHO devs can literally swim in money if they'll make PvE version of this game.

I'll just point you to many other indie games that are doing it for the passion, not to make money. Some of them are even very much what Haven would be single player, er even private server. None of them are swimming in money. Dwarf Fortress is probably the best off of any of them, and only in the last few years have they started gaining a "living wage" out of it. Less than 1% of the indie games actually make a decent payoff for the developer, and probably 1% of that actually gets the developer "rich" (or at least on the road to riches)... and we're not talking Scrooge McDuck swimming in money type of rich, either. Don't let that Minecraft once a decade success story fool you. (Even it was just an inspired version of another failed indie game.)
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Tamalak » Fri May 08, 2020 6:14 am

Pal wrote:IMHO devs can literally swim in money if they'll make PvE version of this game.

Nah. W8 (I think) had a world that was so huge you could isolate yourself at will and be completely PvE. It was a grind with no purpose and no end, no economy or politics or war to aim your power at and influence. I and everyone in my totally safe village got bored real fast.
Tamalak

Postby Pal » Fri May 08, 2020 9:59 am

We can start a small discussion here, of course. This topic tells us that some people, who obviously love game, leave it cause of PvP.
How many people? Don't think we know exactly. My opinion - around 90-95% people comes here (at least) don't mind PvP at all.
Right now I'm in small personal campaign to bring people to Haven (at least half of them first time playing this game), and believe me, noone is interested in PvP, and also I could bring much more if there is no PvP at all. KO protection is just a good news, it widens segment who I can invite (cause I care of their feelings, most are 30+ people from work, or friends, who actually don't need all this shit that happens, when you are noob, you are enjoying game and surprize - you are rekt).
I agree, developers are working for enjoy, but... money is just not bad, ok? ) If you interested only in your project, extra money can be used for development. Glory and respect are not a joke too.

About dwarf fortress, I played it too, honestly, it's unplayable cause of problems with optimization on late stages of game, and mostly, cause UI. It's just exampe "how not to do" if you want people play your game. Simple clons of DF mechanics with some graphics and better interface became hits, you know. It could be DF itself, but it didn't happen.

Main point (for me) is how many people left the game cause the came for non-PvP mechanics and get raided/killed. Everybody who was here for some time knows it is ablosutely tipical situation. Someone hates "theese stupid noobs", someone
sympathizes them, someone just think it's practical to make them feel good and keep playing.
And if there are many of such lets say carebear or recreational players - for me answer is clear - IMHO devs and community should be interested in them, cause much more people converts in better progress for beloved game etc.
Pal

Postby delfer8 » Sat May 09, 2020 7:09 am

Pal wrote:We can start a small discussion here, of course. This topic tells us that some people, who obviously love game, leave it cause of PvP.
How many people? Don't think we know exactly. My opinion - around 90-95% people comes here (at least) don't mind PvP at all.
Right now I'm in small personal campaign to bring people to Haven (at least half of them first time playing this game), and believe me, noone is interested in PvP, and also I could bring much more if there is no PvP at all. KO protection is just a good news, it widens segment who I can invite (cause I care of their feelings, most are 30+ people from work, or friends, who actually don't need all this shit that happens, when you are noob, you are enjoying game and surprize - you are rekt).
I agree, developers are working for enjoy, but... money is just not bad, ok? ) If you interested only in your project, extra money can be used for development. Glory and respect are not a joke too.

About dwarf fortress, I played it too, honestly, it's unplayable cause of problems with optimization on late stages of game, and mostly, cause UI. It's just exampe "how not to do" if you want people play your game. Simple clons of DF mechanics with some graphics and better interface became hits, you know. It could be DF itself, but it didn't happen.

Main point (for me) is how many people left the game cause the came for non-PvP mechanics and get raided/killed. Everybody who was here for some time knows it is ablosutely tipical situation. Someone hates "theese stupid noobs", someone
sympathizes them, someone just think it's practical to make them feel good and keep playing.
And if there are many of such lets say carebear or recreational players - for me answer is clear - IMHO devs and community should be interested in them, cause much more people converts in better progress for beloved game etc.

+1
Be nice, the woods are aware of you.

W3 and 4 Hermitage
W5 Emberwood and Kirribilli, PANDEMONIUM
W6 MIRROR LAKE
W7 Tkearns village
W10 F&I
W12 BROLAND, Weasel's Blue Boar Inn, Grimmhold retirement
W13 Monke Spanish plot
W14 Kakariko village Druid
W15 Into the deep woods

Where are you Weasel!?!?
delfer8

Postby Tamalak » Sat May 09, 2020 7:16 am

Pal wrote:Main point (for me) is how many people left the game cause the came for non-PvP mechanics and get raided/killed. Everybody who was here for some time knows it is ablosutely tipical situation. Someone hates "theese stupid noobs", someone

I think the change this world to spawn everyone on the same continent is a step in the right direction - as a consequence all the powerful economies will be on center continent, all the big empires will be on center continent, all the wars will be there etc, so if you just want to play farmville by yourself the other continents offer more safety.. not perfect safety but a lot of it. Anyone who wants to be competitive or strong will have to deal with the center continent and those who don't give a flip can go elsewhere.

Two issues I still see are:

1. It's not easy to GET to those other 'new world' continents since you need a knarr or to play with whirlpools, so noobs are not likely to make it

2. Coastal beacons for empires are so damn cheap, people who go to other continents are likely to get the benefits of some empire without having to participate in the problems with the region.
Tamalak

Postby delfer8 » Sat May 09, 2020 7:22 am

Game is full or PvP scrubs, because devs gives PvP so much importance, but not making morals and alignment mechanics. The scens and nidbane system is a joke. Even if the nidbane kills the target u dont get justice with that, no chance u can get back your stuff or make the robber pay for it in a proper way.

About the point of devs wanting to make this game with IRL good parts and bad parts? another good joke if you let players ride rocket sails made about quality to chase noobs, but do not stablish a law or balance to that system. I know im going to gent insulted for saying this but hey, who'll insult me? another PvP scrub of those the game have? okay go ahead.

I think devs just make the game mechanics and rules to "see what happens this time" not to balance or fix it, "lets see how those noobs die" "lets see what happen to that factions when we change this"

The knarr punchbot fix? just something to "make the people smile", just not to loose much players. Also the next fix, let the driver hit, another fix to "make the PvP scrubs smile"

its not a matter of balance, we're play toys.
Be nice, the woods are aware of you.

W3 and 4 Hermitage
W5 Emberwood and Kirribilli, PANDEMONIUM
W6 MIRROR LAKE
W7 Tkearns village
W10 F&I
W12 BROLAND, Weasel's Blue Boar Inn, Grimmhold retirement
W13 Monke Spanish plot
W14 Kakariko village Druid
W15 Into the deep woods

Where are you Weasel!?!?
delfer8