Salem Goes Open Beta

General discussion and socializing.

Re: Salem Goes Open Beta

Postby Oddity » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:08 am

I don't hate them, but it does seem like they didn't learn a lot from their old mistakes when making Salem.
jadamkaz wrote:ah i remember my run in with odditown they are good ppl im sure the only reason they killed ME is because they are troll hunters and i was a troll
Oddity

Postby Rhiannon » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:36 am

Well i gave it my third try tonight. That's 4 hours X 3, so about 12 hours total. I even tried very hard to like it (even with many past run-ins on here with jorby over this or that.). Mostly becaue I miss lag reduced play, and Salem does have some similar mechanics. But it just wont come through for me. The graphics kinda hurt my eyes in a "Wurmish" way and no matter how I tried I couldn't find any magic. (Think someone in a post mentioned the magic of H&H and they were spot on, on that note). I foraged and I crafted an I built and seemingly the whole time it was "yawn". I keep wondering to myself "Isn't this what I do here? Don't I toil in the fields and run around picking curios and scavanging and on and on here too?" Yes I do, so why does it seem interesting here but not there?..lol Is it that doing those things here, in this atmosphere and graphics, seem unique? Whereas doing it there seems like I'm in a poor knockoff of WOWism with mechanics that don't work with those graphics? I don't know, I only know that in 12 hours of gameplay I don't think I smiled or thought "That's neat" once. It all felt clumbsy and unsatisfying no matter how hard I tried to "get into it". So I though, well, what if this is it? What if they abandon H&H and this is my only taste of even some vauge semblence of the H&H experience. Would I keep trying?. I think no, it's just not the same, I would have to just move on and pray for some similar clone (Or go back to my other games and try to forget my broken heart...LMAO.)

I do respect J&L's work, and no matter how mad I had gotten with little Jorby over the years in here, as some can remember, I've always given them their due regarding this unique and awesome to my tatse game that is H&H. Though I do not like any pay to win game, they could give donation packs of supplies, or little decos, special curios?, ect,ect. Things not too umbalancing (just mulling ideas). Perhaps they can keep salem, and get some income from it, while also splitting their time back with us and make a little off us too? Have their cake and eat it too? Maybe bring some of the more player friendly stuff from Salem to here (Such as the murder only permadeath) I think, if they value us, and H&H, they could compromise and do both...I hope anyway.

Don't get offended Jorby, I really did try to like it, and it was more player friendly with the permadeath change. Kudos on that. But I do think H&H deserves to live on as well and is just not re-doable in another format like Salem. AFterall, whats better than getting a lil money from 1 player base?...why 2 of course.
************************************ RAVENHOLM ************************************
***************************** IN LIEBE UND FREUNDSCHAFT *************************
************************************* Für Immer **************************************
Rhiannon

Postby Potjeh » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:54 pm

Oddity wrote:I don't hate them, but it does seem like they didn't learn a lot from their old mistakes when making Salem.

Nah, they fixed most old mistakes, but they compensated by making some very dubious new design choices (combat sucks ass, for example).
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby Vesanus » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:25 pm

I cry blood when i see Salem.
Vesanus

Postby delfer8 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:43 pm

I like Salem, but i dont like graphics, because of this i left it.
Be nice, the woods are aware of you.

W3 and 4 Hermitage
W5 Emberwood and Kirribilli, PANDEMONIUM
W6 MIRROR LAKE
W7 Tkearns village
W10 F&I
W12 BROLAND, Weasel's Blue Boar Inn, Grimmhold retirement
W13 Monke Spanish plot
W14 Kakariko village Druid
W15 Into the deep woods

Where are you Weasel!?!?
delfer8

Postby cobaltjones » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:16 pm

Xcom wrote:Any news on release date?

http://www.examiner.com/article/salem-hands-on-preview-farmville-meets-cthulhu wrote:Salem will be based around Paradox’s new “Paradox Connect” initiative that will be serving as a backbone for virtual currency, achievements, and other aspects of Paradox’s forthcoming F2P (free to play) games. It is presently being targeted for a late Q2 (end of summer) 2011 release.
cobaltjones

Postby painhertz » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:31 pm

Maybe some haven updates by Christmas. or maybe never again.
"I shall PERSONALLY witness for you at the shiny, chrome gates of Valhalla!"
painhertz

Postby bitza » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:51 am

Rhiannon wrote:(Such as the murder only permadeath)

no way, h&h needs more permadeath - more PvE challenges and dangers, and more hilarious and embarrassing ways to die besides murder.

and bears that swim :o
Karede wrote: It takes a special kind of autism to play this game
bitza

Postby Amanda44 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:47 am

bitza wrote:
and bears that swim :o

:D
Koru wrote:
It is like in Lord of the Flies, nobody controlls what is going on in the hearthlands, those weaker and with conscience are just fucked.
Animal lovers - Show us your pets! - viewtopic.php?f=40&t=44444#p577254
Amanda44

Postby Mateusz_Zboj » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:42 am

Vesanus wrote:I cry blood when i see Salem.
Mateusz_Zboj

PreviousNext

Return to The Inn of Brodgar