Salem Goes Open Beta

General discussion and socializing.

Re: Salem Goes Open Beta

Postby Tonkyhonk » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:12 pm

Xcom wrote:I keep clicking on this thread to maybe read an update on Salem and how this open beta have led to havens development but each page leads to more and more bizarre discussions on game balance.

right, so back on the topic.

salem went open beta, which should have gone open a couple of months before, for some reasons paradox had. iirc, jorb and loftar had always wanted it to be open after alpha stage, so it wasnt really their fault that it was postponed till recently. some people think it shouldnt have gone open yet at the current stage without enough contents. i hear some people have waited too long and lost motivations. no new servers opening and no wipe nor resets coming for open beta discouraged some potential new players as well, even though it had been known so for long.

as for camera, it has something to do with loftar's aesthetics (he did change a bit but it isnt really noticeable to most of us) and ender is there to give you his client for free anyways. even though many want the official client to be usable, the biggest priority for loftar yet is more contents, i assume. (or he just hates working on client so much :P)

as for development, they still have a lot to add, more and more contents (not even close enough to what haven has atm) and that will take some more time. whoever have played salem should see that. (still you could find a big difference since the alpha days.)
many new things implemented in salem you will find are mostly coming from what jorb and loftar found and pondered in haven and you can see what they wanted to prevent and what not from those changes seen in salem. although almost nothing is close enough to their ideal completion i guess, and more are still coming. some people dont enjoy the changes they have made or some get exhausted by the complexity (to discourage bots) of the game. luck of contents still make some players bored in game after a while and pvp oriented players tend to stay while others most of the time quit after being raided in a rather short cycle of the gameplay. (yet committing crimes is considerably harder than haven due to the new systems.)

regarding financial stuff, it is not they nor we to worry about but paradox, since paradox is the publisher and jorb and loftar are simply developers and their job is not marketing nor gathering paying customers. but if you have to worry so much, then go ahead and play and donate some for their silver in salem and you may feel better.
however, whining how they dont listen to your opinions wouldnt shorten the time till they get back to haven development. its just as kim jong un cries and angers and threatens to get or do what he wants, throwing a tantrum.
(but i dont blame ya!)
Tonkyhonk

Previous

Return to The Inn of Brodgar