[Announcement About Account Security] Haven/Salem

General discussion and socializing.

Re: [Announcement About Account Security] Haven/Salem

Postby gdwdalfem » Fri May 24, 2013 4:02 am

Anybody knows which client has the keylogger?
gdwdalfem

Postby borka » Fri May 24, 2013 4:07 am

AFAIK none has a keylogger ( better nothing what can be called such - there are some with functions that logs accountname and pw and emails them*) - if you want to be totally on the safe side use the default or Ender from urls in his thread** and don't use any clients that are "super sekret client leaked"

*mostly to secure that only authorized ppl use it

**or be trusted member of a faction that the special client was made for

from what i know:
APXEOLOGs public made Union client seems not to have such and APX himself points out that he won't code in such
Pandeclient (Ender + KT) and Mentor/Deboon clients also don't seem to have such functions in them
borka

Postby gdwdalfem » Fri May 24, 2013 4:11 am

Hmm. I use ender's so i guess it's ok. Thank you.

Also, what is happening on congress? What's all those "something not completly different " threads?
gdwdalfem

Postby Amanda44 » Fri May 24, 2013 11:08 am

Slight derail - though sort of relevent.

Awhile ago I noticed that everytime I had my skype on, my pc kept sending me warning notices about someone trying to access my pc via skype. My security is pretty decent and so it wouldn't allow the connection.
I'm not clued up at all when it comes to this type of pc management, lol, I wasn't sure what was going on, I asked a friend who works with pc's what it meant and he said someone was trying to hack into my computer whilst i'm connected to skype.
I don't have a clue how this would work and I didn't ask, I don't have any personal details showing on skype and I don't use facebook or any other social sites.
I was worried about it, as whoever was doing it was most persistant and would try for quite long periods of time, so, as I didn't know what to do about it, for the last month I've just stopped using skype. :(

Recently, someone else said my security wouldn't allow anyone access so I was worrying about nothing and just delete suspect people from my skype account. How am I supposed to know who's suspect? Lol, I am already particular about who I add on skype, apart from family it is only a few trusted people from here - however I am in a few group chats, which apart from friends ones, I have now left.

Anyway, I just wanted to mention it seeing as we are talking security, maybe someone, borka? may know more about this and be able to advise me. I still haven't put skype back on yet.

Btw - my pc security has stored the IP address of the pc that keeps trying to connect to mine and again, directed at borka really, or any mod - if I were to give it to you would you be able to run it against haven IP's and see if there is a match for who might be responsible? Or are there rules against that?
Koru wrote:
It is like in Lord of the Flies, nobody controlls what is going on in the hearthlands, those weaker and with conscience are just fucked.
Animal lovers - Show us your pets! - viewtopic.php?f=40&t=44444#p577254
Amanda44

Postby Zachary09 » Tue May 28, 2013 4:53 pm

Amanda44 wrote:Slight derail - though sort of relevent.

Awhile ago I noticed that everytime I had my skype on, my pc kept sending me warning notices about someone trying to access my pc via skype. My security is pretty decent and so it wouldn't allow the connection.
I'm not clued up at all when it comes to this type of pc management, lol, I wasn't sure what was going on, I asked a friend who works with pc's what it meant and he said someone was trying to hack into my computer whilst i'm connected to skype.
I don't have a clue how this would work and I didn't ask, I don't have any personal details showing on skype and I don't use facebook or any other social sites.
I was worried about it, as whoever was doing it was most persistant and would try for quite long periods of time, so, as I didn't know what to do about it, for the last month I've just stopped using skype. :(

Recently, someone else said my security wouldn't allow anyone access so I was worrying about nothing and just delete suspect people from my skype account. How am I supposed to know who's suspect? Lol, I am already particular about who I add on skype, apart from family it is only a few trusted people from here - however I am in a few group chats, which apart from friends ones, I have now left.

Anyway, I just wanted to mention it seeing as we are talking security, maybe someone, borka? may know more about this and be able to advise me. I still haven't put skype back on yet.

Btw - my pc security has stored the IP address of the pc that keeps trying to connect to mine and again, directed at borka really, or any mod - if I were to give it to you would you be able to run it against haven IP's and see if there is a match for who might be responsible? Or are there rules against that?

Generally IP tracking issues should go to the Police. Breaking into your computer is already illegal in most countries in the world.
Zachary09

Postby Amanda44 » Tue May 28, 2013 7:46 pm

Zachary09 wrote:Generally IP tracking issues should go to the Police. Breaking into your computer is already illegal in most countries in the world.

After seeing your reply I rang my local police station just to ask about the situation and what my course of action should be - basically, they didn't want to know! :lol:

Apparently there is an alternative body for reporting internet crime in the uk called Action Fraud.

Action Fraud then passes on crime reports to the 'National Fraud Intelligence Bureau', whose job it is to decide if the incident requires further investigation. Most computer crimes of a personal nature are not investigated.

I was told that as my 'hacker' had failed to gain access and that IP addresses are not an indication of a persons real address or identity (I did not know this previously) that no action could be taken. He went on to explain that IP addresses are assigned via something called an ISP - I think thats correct - If you are a business then IP addresses are static and internet crime such as fraud or theft can be acted upon with relative success but home pc's are not static and has led to people being wrongly convicted. As the area is such a minefield of uncertainty cases like mine are considered non-threatening and are unlikely to be investigated. Had the person actually gained access to my pc then it would be treated slightly differently, but, even then, any action taken or any ensuing investigation would be based on what they actualy did once they were in there. With theft obviously being more likely to be investigated than snooping for example.

At the end of the conversation their advice was simply to make sure my security was always updated and to inform skype of the incidents.

They have however taken the information and provided me with a crime number - so, idk what happens next, but, I'm guessing, nothing! :roll:

I'm hoping that whoever is responsible will cease now that they are aware I'm aware, esp since they will now know that I have also reported it. I will put skype on again some time this wk when I have more free time and see what happens. :)

Thanks for the advice Zachary. :)

Edit: Oh dear, how embarrassing, lol, it turns out when he kept saying ISP he was talking about Internet Service Provider - :oops:

Just to reassure everyone, I do know what an internet service provider is, lol, I just didn't make the connection at the time with all the other pc language that I didn't understand. :lol:
Koru wrote:
It is like in Lord of the Flies, nobody controlls what is going on in the hearthlands, those weaker and with conscience are just fucked.
Amanda44

Postby Zachary09 » Wed May 29, 2013 11:03 am

Amanda44 wrote:IP addresses are not an indication of a persons real address or identity

Indeed, he might have used Proxy. I didn't even think about it.
Amanda44 wrote:ISP

That's an Internet Service Provider, he can only help you in giving away IP's to the Police if they ever wanted to investigate further.

Good that you actually cared to do something with it. I was attacked once and my antivirus told me my Skype wants to access an executable file, then i really got scared about it...
Zachary09

Postby Amanda44 » Wed May 29, 2013 11:30 am

Zachary09 wrote:That's an Internet Service Provider, he can only help you in giving away IP's to the Police if they ever wanted to investigate further.

:oops: - I think that's my worst 'brain fart' on here, lol, but I doubt it will be my last! :lol:

Zachary09 wrote:
Good that you actually cared to do something with it. I was attacked once and my antivirus told me my Skype wants to access an executable file, then i really got scared about it...

Well, I didn't for over a month but I need to use my skype! I was afraid that being that persistant they would eventually get in, despite people keep reassuring me that they won't.

Until you mentioned it, it hadn't even occured to me to contact the police, but, although they weren't as helpful as I would have liked, the guy was very understanding about my concerns and at least as helpful as he could be I guess.

Anyway, I'm glad I did it. He was able to reassure me on a few points and gave me some advice on internet security, so thanks again Zachary, much appreciated. :)
Koru wrote:
Amanda44

Postby Zachary09 » Fri May 31, 2013 2:23 pm

You should also beware, because someone lately took over my computer using Skype software, and installed adware on my main PC, aswell as putting some Exploder malware in my HDD, causing enormous destruction - I have to buy new HDD, and I'm probably going to loose most of my data on the old HDD. Beware when using Skype.
Zachary09

Postby borka » Fri May 31, 2013 2:52 pm

How did someone took over your PC "using Skype Software" ?

What adware? What Exploder malware? What destruction?

Any logs?

What Browser are you using?

Make an image of your HDD without writing on it - put HDD aside - do some forensics on image
Java 8 - manually downloads - good to check for actual versions url here:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=40331
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head Feed your head
borka

PreviousNext

Return to The Inn of Brodgar