Can you swim in real life?

General discussion and socializing.

Re: Can you swim in real life?

Postby venatorvenator » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:40 pm

Of course I can swim, I eat lots of apple pies and if haven is a true depiction of reality that's how good swimmers are made.
Xcom wrote:Most good things last only a short time
venatorvenator

Postby Tonkyhonk » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:28 pm

please dont discourage ppl for not being able to swim. some people dont grow up in the environment that swimming is considered a "must" skill. i didnt learn "swimming" in this game for a while in the beginning and that actually saved my game lives a few times with my misclicking habits :lol:

anyways, so 23 hearthlings in total now that can actually swim in real life. that was a lot less than i imagined! thank you all :)
Tonkyhonk

Postby borka » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:17 pm

b3nno wrote:water pressure as the car sinks makes it near impossible to open a closed door, same could have applied to a ship

That's why i learned to let the car sink, let water flow into the inside so that there's only a bit of air left to breathe and then let the people inside open the window and get out through that. If people aren't able you have to smash the window - so never buy an car where you can't manually open the window and never drive near water when you are "sized larger" than your car window....
borka

Postby romovs » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:31 am

I swam only once in my life - only 50 meters or so and it was a decade ago. So not sure if I can swim or not :?
It's actually ironic considering there are 3 seas within a driving distance from where I live. Although in one of those (The Dead Sea) you can't drown even if you wanted to.
romovs

Postby Tonkyhonk » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:57 am

romovs wrote:I swam only once in my life - only 50 meters or so and it was a decade ago. So not sure if I can swim or not :?

well, if you could swim 50 meters or so, what would your chance of jumping into water be if your ship started sinking? (should i add you to the number or not? :P)
Tonkyhonk

Postby romovs » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:43 am

Tonkyhonk wrote:well, if you could swim 50 meters or so, what would your chance of jumping into water be if your ship started sinking? (should i add you to the number or not? :P)

Yeah I guess I would try to swim in such situation. Successfully getting to the shore is another story though.
Count me in.
romovs

Postby earllohst » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:49 am

Can swim in pool but when shit happens like I'm on a sinking boat or plane crash in the sea I'd probably just die.
Last edited by earllohst on Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
earllohst

Postby bitza » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:40 am

my father taught me to swim when i was like 5 or 6, and i survived a round of army drown-proofing fairly recently (200 meters in full uniform, boots and ruck)
Karede wrote: It takes a special kind of autism to play this game
bitza

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:23 am

borka wrote:That's why i learned to let the car sink, let water flow into the inside so that there's only a bit of air left to breathe and then let the people inside open the window and get out through that. If people aren't able you have to smash the window - so never buy an car where you can't manually open the window and never drive near water when you are "sized larger" than your car window....

According to professionals, this is the escape of last resort. Getting out of the vehicle sooner rather than later will increase your chances of living. Once a vehicle is no longer floating, they sink very rapidly.

Keep a window breaker in your car. A pocket knife or other object designed with a finely pointed end--doesn't need to be sharp--can break the glass. For those worried they won't be able to get enough force behind a strike, they make spring loaded and pneumatic window breakers (unless you have a very powerful strike with just you're forearm motion, you probably don't have enough strike force). The odds are great enough, everyone should plan on it happening. Last statistic I read was about 400 drowning deaths in cars a year in the US. That's relatively small until you consider the number of vehicles that end up in water deep enough to drown the passengers* (found an AAA article that said less than 0.5% of crashes in US end up in water). The risk is high enough, many professionals (law enforcement, etc) go to training classes on how to escape sinking vehicles.

*even a half meter is deep enough if the car is upside down and the passengers unconscious.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Tonkyhonk » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:13 pm

earllohst wrote:Can swim in pool but when shit happens like I'm on a sinking boat or plane crash in the sea I'd probably just die.

ha ha, you know, jumping into water doesnt always mean to let you live... sometimes it could be safer to stay and wait for the rescue team - if they are good and fast enough... so would you jump in water or stay? (should i count you in?)

bitza wrote:(200 meters in full uniform, boots and ruck)

what kind of uniform?!
Tonkyhonk

PreviousNext

Return to The Inn of Brodgar