Battleaxe of the 12th Bay

General discussion and socializing.

Battleaxe of the 12th Bay

Postby Cejer » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:50 am

Awesome. Thank you so much. That is all.
Cejer

Re: Battleaxe of the 12th Bay

Postby shockedfrog » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:37 am

While this is a well deserved tribute to the Bay 12 folks for their support of the game, so far I'm a little worried it's going to become Bay 12: The Game (if you don't count any of Bay 12 Games' games.) I have a great deal of respect for them and don't think any other single community is made of the same stuff, but I hope that someday I'll see people - groups or individuals - rise to greatness that stems absolutely from Hearth and not from previous lives.
shockedfrog

Postby loftar » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:40 pm

That was my critique as well. I wanted to name the axe something that was a tribute, but still could be interpreted completely naturally as well, but Jorb just didn't listen to me. I guess I'll rename it myself if I think of something good (the lack of a good thought being the reason I put up with it to begin with).
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby kimya » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:54 pm

loftar wrote:That was my critique as well. I wanted to name the axe something that was a tribute, but still could be interpreted completely naturally as well, but Jorb just didn't listen to me. I guess I'll rename it myself if I think of something good (the lack of a good thought being the reason I put up with it to begin with).

Bottleaxe
kimya

Postby Namer » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:07 pm

shockedfrog wrote:While this is a well deserved tribute to the Bay 12 folks for their support of the game

I don't understand what you mean by this while I agree with your overall point, I don't think they deserve anything more then any other player of this game, we all play this game and support it, just because a group of us hasn't come from another forum in a large group, seems abit like preferential treatment. What next ??

Call it battleaxe sounds better without the 12th bay bit.

This is'nt a dig at people who have played dwarf fortress or specifically come from 12bay forums.
Namer

Postby Devour » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:29 pm

I'd like it if there were two items, personally. A SINGLE Battleaxe of the 12th Bay that maybe Jorb or Loftar use, to keep that spirit alive, and a normal battleaxe for us mere mortals.
Devour

Postby Haven » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:22 pm

Well, on the one hand 'Battleaxe of the Twelth Bay' sounds a bit too formally epic to be the standard-issue axe... On the other, I totally want one. Maybe it can be part of a set of 'master-level' items, conferring a minor bonus and major prestige to the crafter who can make them. But I'm not sure where that would fit. Maybe they could just be called 'Bay Axes'.

Heh... Bay axe.
Haven

Postby Dwarfu » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:32 pm

Oh, please...

A real tribute would have been a hammer...
Dwarfu

Postby WorkerDrone » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:02 pm

Oh don't you worry. Hammers will make their way into the game sooner or later.

FEAR THE HAMMERER.
[02:31] <WorkerDrone> Kinky.
[02:31] <Malicus> Actually, it's more like it destroyed his pants.
[02:31] <WorkerDrone> Even more kinky.
[02:32] <Malicus> Yes.
WorkerDrone

Postby loftar » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:06 pm

Actually, if you look at the battleaxe (which, indeed, you may not be able to yet), you'll see that it is a double-sided weapon, with an axe on one side and a hammer on the other.

We just don't have any use for hammers yet. :)
(But yes, it is coming)
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Next

Return to The Inn of Brodgar