Concept: Credos

General discussion and socializing.

Concept: Credos

Postby jorb » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:30 am

A credo is a mix between a profession and a set of beliefs. Certain personal beliefs allow for certain credos. The credo has certain skills, benefits or mechanics associated with it that are denied other credos.

Witch Hunter.
ImageImage
"If she floats, she's a witch, and should be put to the stake and burned to a cinder. If she drowns, then accept this beautiful, wonderfully scented, flower -- would you just look at the color! -- as my way of saying that I'm really, really sorry! Enjoy your day!"

The Witch Hunter specializes in locating and taking out witches -- or other practitioners of magic -- and witches' covens. By burning the black sorceresses at the stake, he fuels his martial skills.

Witch
"They happily quaff my potions down -- like they were honey-wine -- for years, but all it takes for the stakes to be raised -- if you know what I mean -- is one old cow falling ill. I mean... it's not like they really needed the milk anyway."

Seid magic allows the witch to throw little curses on cows, querns, wells, and various household objects, to feed both herself and her magic. Together with other witches in a coven, she can perform rituals to curse entire tracts of land.

Farmer
"We don't take kindly to your kind around here, stranger."

The Farmer is the village work horse: Plowing, harvesting and sowing fields with ease, speed and results. Years of hard labor has given him the strength of an ox, and when he forms up with other farmers in a mob, they become a formidable fighting force, matched only by professional warriors.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Re: Concept: Credos

Postby Laremere » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:42 am

Interesting, though everyone would become a witch hunter, unless you could become a witch, which would lead to much more grieving than actual legitimate uses, as there isn't much gain from stopping a village from getting milk.
Laremere

Postby FarmerJoe » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:43 am

what? :D
FarmerJoe

Postby Jackard » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:44 am

id save comments on this until i know more about it
Jackard

Postby niltrias » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:50 am

I like the underlying ideas of curses and job-paths that you can improve in more than the specific idea of the witchhunter, but still sounds interesting.
I need hexes!

And DOGS!
<Marcher Lord>
Dogs! Oh god, please give us DOGS!
There are those who press on with the ardor of beer, and those who are faint with thirst.
niltrias

Postby Peter » Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:25 am

Actually, witches would be griefers. In a sense, witchhunters would be mods... I kind of like the efficiency of it.

Maybe make it so the most efficient way to do a lot of griefy things- such as destroying trees or carving offensive symbols in the ground- is to use witchcraft. You could more easily cast a withering spell on a tree or burn marks into the ground than do this manually. Then witchhunters could have abilities to undo witchcraft, curing trees and clearing blight. This would be kind of difficult to do, but easier than fixing it manually, and would require some significant investment in the character- and possibly something like full day. As for witchcraft, full night and a relatively small investment like 5000 LP. Though of course I understand that good/evil alignment things are taboo, night has always been associated with witchcraft and it is only natural for those that fight it to be opposite to that as well.

The net effect, I think, would be to make many griefers prefer to use witchcraft to make other players lives harder, and thus subtly blending them into normal gameplay. I say this because if you can use a "dream" and a few seconds to make a tree useless rather than a half-minute of chopping, you might just prefer the dream. These effects would be hard for most characters to deal with, but a witchhunter would be able to dispel the enchantment easily.

I'm not saying that I'm really behind that idea, just throwing it out there.

Hm... a poisoning spell would fit in, too. Makes it so affected players are weak and maybe even nearly dead... and can be reversed by a ritual or spell.
Surprise.
Peter

Postby PhaedrothSP » Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:57 am

It could have lots of applications aside from the milk bit, dream catchers start giving nightmares, apples and berries on a tree suddenly become rotten, all the ore in a mine suddenly just becomes stone, your metal armors randomly lose 500 hitpoints overnight?
PhaedrothSP

Postby Potjeh » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:15 am

Awesome! Now we just need ducks.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby Rift » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:57 pm

hehe.. i want to be a old witch in a hut... i wonder if you have to play a girl character..
Rift

Postby g1real » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:18 pm

I want to play a mage or wizard :(
loftar: The inner chaos of the Jorbian mind is hard to conceal. :)
jorb: It's called creative license. You know, that thing you seem to want to apply to logic, grammar and coherence? :)
g1real

Next

Return to The Inn of Brodgar