Haven 2.0: "Hafen"

General discussion and socializing.

Haven 2.0: "Hafen"

Postby Oddity » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:22 pm

Highlights:
(23:36:34) <loftar> For the record, we're working on the rewrite of Haven under the working name of Hafen, so you can use that instead of "haven2". ;)
(23:40:08) <loftar> It's not actually playable yet. Jorb has been playing a lot of Salem lately, though.
(23:41:23) <loftar> If I may say so myself, the new Gluttony system turned out even better than expected. We're almost even rather considering borrowing concepts from it back into the new Haven.
(23:43:54) <loftar> The new gluttony system is far simpler, so that should be a far lesser problem, at least.
-
(23:45:45) <Oddity> loftar give us details about Hafen please
(23:47:41) <loftar> Oddity: We may start posting about in not too long.
-
(23:59:03) <loftar> The thing is, it is my intent that the world be larger, but more challenging to traverse.
(23:59:37) <loftar> With more meaningful topology and a wilderness that actually contains some kind of element of potential danger.
(00:03:14) <loftar> You may remember that Jorb wrote that "We wish to paint more vivid and varied pictures of nature in general". That's pretty much what we're working on more than most other things.
-
(00:03:41) <loftar> We intend to post the first screenshot before new years. :)

Fuller-ish log: http://pastebin.com/9Ma9A9ab

Previous info about Haven 2.0 development: http://pastebin.com/mrhm1rP8

And as loftar says at the bottom of this page:
loftar wrote:Just for the record, the rewrite isn't actually called "Hafen", it's just an alternate name we use to separate the code trees from each other. The "real" name is still Haven & Hearth. EDIT: As a historical note, it may also be interesting that the original name of the project was only "Haven", which is why I most often use that to shorten the name instead of "H&H" or similar. We originally only added "& Hearth" because there already was some RPG called Haven and we were slightly worried that we might run into trademark problems. Not that I was unhappy with the change, mind you, but that was the reason.
Last edited by Oddity on Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
jadamkaz wrote:ah i remember my run in with odditown they are good ppl im sure the only reason they killed ME is because they are troll hunters and i was a troll
Oddity

Re: Haven 2.0: "Hafen"

Postby borka » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:33 pm

ty! :)
Java 8 - manually downloads - good to check for actual versions url here:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=40331
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head Feed your head
borka

Postby NOOBY93 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:22 pm

Thanks bro.
Ahh... Still curious.
Jalpha wrote:I believe in my interpretation of things.
NOOBY93

Postby Ninijutsu » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:45 pm

HYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPE
Of another era.
Ninijutsu

Postby dagrimreefah » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:05 pm

Wow loftar, a bigger world is the exact OPPOSITE thing haven needs :roll:

Also what ever happened to you "never monetizing HnH"?
dagrimreefah

Postby APXEOLOG » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:09 pm

give me pre-alpha.v.0.0.0.1 invite please.
W10 Meme Plot | W9 Mantis Garden | W8 Core | W7 Ofir | W6 the City of Dis | W5 Vitterstad | W4 A.D. | W3 Mirniy
jorb wrote:All your characters will be deleted, and I will level every village any one of them were ever members of.
APXEOLOG

Postby Xcom » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:17 pm

Are they giving us any timetables at all. At least so we wont need to worry about a reset in the next month.
Xcom

Postby TeckXKnight » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:36 pm

dagrimreefah wrote:Wow loftar, a bigger world is the exact OPPOSITE thing haven needs :roll:

Also what ever happened to you "never monetizing HnH"?

Gotta eat I guess.

I'm actually all for big, expansive worlds that shift and have new features to discover and see versus the same old terrain. Sure, constantly exploration can become a chore as much as any other task, but if it keeps you on your feet then it'll be more satisfying for a longer period of time as you settle and strip an area of its valuables.
TeckXKnight

Postby ramones » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:40 pm

Give us at least 1+ month of this world please :)
W8 - Hermitage
W7 - Emerald City
W6 - Gomorrah
W5 - Pandemonium
W4 - Angkor
W3 - Angkor
ramones

Postby loftar » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:08 am

Just for the record, the rewrite isn't actually called "Hafen", it's just an alternate name we use to separate the code trees from each other. The "real" name is still Haven & Hearth. EDIT: As a historical note, it may also be interesting that the original name of the project was only "Haven", which is why I most often use that to shorten the name instead of "H&H" or similar. We originally only added "& Hearth" because there already was some RPG called Haven and we were slightly worried that we might run into trademark problems. Not that I was unhappy with the change, mind you, but that was the reason.

Xcom wrote:Are they giving us any timetables at all. At least so we wont need to worry about a reset in the next month.

You don't have to worry about that at all. It's pretty far from being meaningfully playable.

dagrimreefah wrote:Wow loftar, a bigger world is the exact OPPOSITE thing haven needs :roll:

You need to reread and reconsider what I actually wrote if that's what you think.

dagrimreefah wrote:Also what ever happened to you "never monetizing HnH"?

I'm rather sure I've never said anything like that.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Next

Return to The Inn of Brodgar