List of Updates for Hafen Mentioned by the Devs

General discussion and socializing.

List of Updates for Hafen Mentioned by the Devs

Postby TeckXKnight » Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:13 am

This is an unofficial list of all updates that the devs can be quoted on. Hints and speculation from other sources aren't cited here. By no means is this comprehensive and if you notice something missing, please reply with what it is in this thread, preferably with a link to the post. At the moment this only contains information dating back to December 22nd, 2013. The most recent information will be a the top. Thank you! Warning, this is a very long post!
Last Updated: August 22nd, 2015

Eternal Alpha Release Date:
jorb wrote:No exact times set yet, but we are indeed launching on the 28th barring something extreme.

Assuming we are all set for launch when our extraordinary dev session on Thursday night ends, we will begin bringing her up when we get to work again on Friday, around -- again, no exact numbers given -- 4-5pm UTC+1. Bringing her up may take some time, as there is a fair amount of administrivia involved, and no one expects anything but an unstable, crashing beast of a server for the first few hours/days.

But such are at least our loose plans at the time of this writing.

Frogs confirmed
jorb wrote:Frogs confirmed.

Arrows do not shoot over walls
loftar wrote:
overtyped wrote:Will there be shooting through walls at launch?

Nope.

Changes to keys, it is a mystery
loftar wrote:
HarryDresden wrote:keys

We've changed a bit how keys work. It's neither as in Haven nor as in Salem. I'll just let you find out how they work now. :)

Possibly using ancestor's claims or a structure on the claim to respawn after death
loftar wrote:
Potjeh wrote:How about respawning on your grave / skeleton?

The more obvious solution sounds like using the claimpole on one of the ancestor's claims, or something.

Client side map caching instead of cartography, maybe.
jorb wrote:In the vein of "if you can't beat them, join them" we are rather considering extending support for actually caching maps that you character has seen.

Carts and improvements to carts.
loftar wrote:Well, if it makes you feel better, we just added carts to Hafen, and they are a fair bit more lenient than in current Haven. :)

Wall updates at some point in the future.
loftar wrote:
Jackard wrote:can there be "stronghold crusader" type walls that people walk on with ladders and stairs?

I ambition to enable that sooner or later (depending on other priorities), but it's not going to be possible initially.

Improvements to construction and farming.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=37974&start=1790#p512587
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=37974&start=1800#p512618

Plums and plum accessories.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=37974&start=1810#p512630

Maps are back.
jorb wrote:We will attempt to give you tools that allow you to quickly and efficiently traverse quite large distances. You can make maps.

Changes to crime and scents.
loftar wrote:As for summoning, we're strongly considering changing that to a system where one simply cannot log off as long as there are clues left to crimes that you committed.

Changes to or removal of the current village teleporting system.
loftar wrote:
TeckXKnight wrote:Considering that oathing is effectively a bug, as it abuses numerous limiters such as travel weariness and that's why it's so good, I don't think that it's far fetched that it could be removed in its current form, so people probably shouldn't get too attached. =)

QFT

Changes to or removal of claim refunds.
loftar wrote:IIRC, the original reason was to make it possible to "modify" a claim, quite simply, as there's no support for shrinking them. That's the only reason I still consider (somewhat) valid; they were certainly not intended as LP banks. And I'm sure that can be worked out some other way, for sure.

Expandable/Customizable housing.
loftar wrote:I also support expandable/custom housing. I hardly think it's going to be in the first release of Hafen, but I would very much like to implement something like it sooner rather than later.

Overhaul or removal of the personal belief system.
loftar wrote:
bitza wrote:any thoughts on a rework of personal beliefs?

Don't expect them to be there in any form even remotely resembling their current one. :)

Retention of teleporting to your own hearthfire.
loftar wrote:Ah, well, teleporting back to one's own hearth is not necessarily going to be removed.

Changes to darkness.
loftar wrote:It is generally intended to be light enough to make people not require lighthacks. As long as the server can't strictly enforce it, darkness as limitation is pretty pointless anyway.

Firebrands to light fires.
loftar wrote:There are no tinderdrills. There are firebrands instead. They do have 100% success rate. Make what you will of that. ^^

Structure placement rotation and constructing from stockpiles:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=37974&p=502571#p502571

Removal of most forms of teleportation, addition of teleportation along established roads.
jorb wrote:By the by. Teleportation only along formal roads. No hearth secrets. Random wilderness spawns only.

loftar wrote:We actually implemented road-travel just the other day. So far it's very similar to what Potjeh initially proposed, in that milestones simply give you the option to fast-travel to the other end of the road, given that there are no obstacles on the way. If there are, you'll be stopped there. (It's not entirely complete yet however, as we haven't yet decided exactly what to do with travel-weariness.)

UI updates.
jorb wrote:We just spent the whole of tonight doing nothing but (nice) UI, so that haters could keep hating.

Rework to stats.
jorb wrote:We will, under all circumstances, most likely be working with relative improvements from stat gains, i.e....
Up to N points worth of difference (in everything useful, per some metric) will cause improvements to your combat results relative a player who has less than yourself, but improving beyond N implies no further gain.

Hard stealth and hard stealthed objects.
jorb wrote:I have a very general ambition that it would be fun if one could -- in various ways -- reduce one's footprint in the world to a whisper, provided one is willing to live under perhaps somewhat humble circumstances.
Hidden trap doors that actually need to be detected, earth mounds that are hard to notice, trees providing some amount of hard stealth to things around them, not just players but objects and whatnot as well.

Changes to construction to prevent abuse.
jorb wrote:
2. Will signs have hitboxes and be abused in combat like force fields?

They probably can now, but we could perhaps add some delay to their placement or whatever.

Plum trees!
jorb wrote:Way ahead of you. Plum was one of the first trees I made. :)

Grape vines.
jorb wrote:Ftfy. They will probably grow on trellises along with other vine-ish plants, but we haven't quite decided on the exact implementation of that yet.

Instruments, maybe.
jorb wrote:We have discussed instruments at some length. :)

Seed storage, trash piles, pipeweed, and stockpiles.
jorb wrote:We're implementing farming, bits and pieces of it. Seeds can be stored in barrels and buckets, and over yonder I've made a stockpile for trash. The pumpkins are just props. Flax and pipeweed growing.

Tar kilns.
jorb wrote:Tar kilns. So, yes. You make coal in them as well.

Food decay, preservation, and transitioning into other resources and goods.
jorb wrote:I pretty much agree with this. I imagine food decay very much not just as a simple drain on player resources, but far more just as natural conversion processes that open up for conservation mechanics and whatnot. You pick berries, for example, and have a window of a few days or whatever to eat them, use them in cooking, or make jam, before they go bad. Jam is now a thing, and making blueberry pie serves a purpose beyond getting another set of food stats. Several perishables thus compress to more stable forms. Salting, &c can be a thing.

Fermentation and further uses for decayed food.
jorb wrote:Even somewhat spoiled foods could have a bunch of alternate uses as livestock feed or fertilizer or whatever. All fermented produce essentially use decay processes.

Removal of the fuel bug.
jorb wrote:Mining and smelting have been implemented verbatim from Haven, except the longstanding fuel bug with ovens in general no longer exists.

Changes and improvements to the LP and Curio system.
jorb wrote:Whatever gave you that idea? In no way do we consider it to be any shade of perfect. We have every intention of changing it.

Improvements to the LP system
jorb wrote:
ZanathKariashi wrote:Simply allow each curio to pay it's LP over-time, based on it's study-rate, instead of a lump sum.

loftar and I have already discussed this at some length, and something to that effect will most likely be happening, yes.

Horses and their speeds.
jorb wrote:Yes. There is a wild horse. It has four gaits (walk, pace, trot, gallop), and you can ride it.
The idea is that you will be able to ride it for a while if you feed it clover.

Reduction in features exclusive to custom clients.
jorb wrote:Server side everything. Hoo-ha.

Customizable features, potentially tabards.
loftar wrote:Also, I would also very much like, at least, to be able to do something in terms of customizable tabards or some other thing(s) that one can actually put images on.

Improved combat with fleeing and movement combat in mind for the core of it.
loftar wrote:We are currently in the process of reimplementing combat (which is also why it's taking time to produce and new images; don't expect results immediately), and we are indeed changing aspects of it. As part of that, we are keeping flight and pursuit in mind.

Crop rotation, maybe.
loftar wrote:I quite doubt there will be crop tiers as in Salem, but we are considering other forms of crop rotation. None implemented thus far, though.

Moose
http://jorb.seatribe.se/roligabilder/hafen-thumb

Stop asking for bridges.
loftar wrote:It is outside the engine's abilities right now, but I am considering changes that should make them possible. Whether those considerations will actually bear fruit is not something I can predict, however.
TeckXKnight

Re: List of Updates for Hafen Mentioned by the Devs

Postby Ninijutsu » Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:20 am

*rude comment*
Last edited by Ninijutsu on Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Of another era.
Ninijutsu

Postby ChildhoodObesity » Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:37 am

Ninijutsu wrote:You've got too much time on your hands.

get off his back u fucking faggot
ChildhoodObesity

Postby TeckXKnight » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:05 am

Ninijutsu wrote:*rude comment*

No need to censor yourself. My weekend starts earlier than everyone else and I do commit a lot of my free time to Haven, even if only in the form of the forum game, it's true. I can't expect everyone to dig through two years of posts from the devs, so I went ahead and did it for them. =)
TeckXKnight

Postby ChildhoodObesity » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:26 am

ur a legend
ChildhoodObesity

Postby Amanda44 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:22 pm

Wow, thanks Teck - :D - there were two in there that I'd missed, it's so much better than trying to find things in 158 pages of discussion, lol.

You should sticky it, it will probably save a lot of the same questions being asked over and over in the other one, esp the "when can we play it/when is it ready?" one, which has been asked and answered countless times.
Koru wrote:
It is like in Lord of the Flies, nobody controlls what is going on in the hearthlands, those weaker and with conscience are just fucked.
Animal lovers - Show us your pets! - viewtopic.php?f=40&t=44444#p577254
Amanda44

Postby Čif » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:41 pm

TeckXKnight, thx for this GREAT thread.
Since devs are not giving any official infos, u help people to save time and see what they been lookin for on this derpy forum(speakin myself). Forum is full of childish posts and kids faggotry, so i can say this is best thread in past year or two, since i stopped playin HnH.
Thx very much, and pls continue updatin. Respect. Keep up the gud work ;)
Čif, aka Panj
Čif

Postby Paislee » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:27 pm

TeckXKnight wrote:
Ninijutsu wrote:*rude comment*

No need to censor yourself. My weekend starts earlier than everyone else and I do commit a lot of my free time to Haven, even if only in the form of the forum game, it's true. I can't expect everyone to dig through two years of posts from the devs, so I went ahead and did it for them. =)

I appreciate it so much. :)
~Maisy
Paislee

Postby venatorvenator » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:45 pm

I like you.

Thanks for taking the time to do that.

Maybe lock this to prevent it from becoming another Christmas ghost thread?
Xcom wrote:Most good things last only a short time
venatorvenator

Postby painhertz » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:46 pm

Still nothing about seiging, guard towers, new seige weapons (Witchcraft?) lol
"I shall PERSONALLY witness for you at the shiny, chrome gates of Valhalla!"
painhertz

Next

Return to The Inn of Brodgar