Game like HnH

General discussion and socializing.

Re: Game like HnH

Postby Metruption » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:11 pm

The Forest is fun, or so I've heard.
Metruption

Postby txtrung0 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:15 pm

Metruption wrote:The Forest is fun, or so I've heard.

It started out great with realistic shelters and all.
But then you one shot every animal and never care about food, temperature, water, tiredness etc.
Turns out, it's horrible.
txtrung0

Postby simimi » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:59 pm

Thats the problem with all survival games, as soon as you get your settlement ( house + weat in minecraft, brickwall + farm in H&H, etc...) there is nothing to do.
Well, you can do stuff ( get super enchanted diamond gear in Minecraft, get super high level stuff in H&H), but there is no more vital goal.
PvP is a nice adition to give you a reason to stay in game, but face it, grinding quality so you can hope to raid another village and loot things you probably dont need ...
The trick to make a survival game interseting past the early stage is to be find.
An idea is : you could reset the game often, like every month, so you can "win" the partie, then be in a E-penis classement, or have some nice fancy honorific clothes so people know you are special when they meet you in game in the next world, accumulationg trophys that stay worlds after worlds ...

So how to know who "win" at the end of the world ?
There could be an unique liftable artefect somwere underground to be find, and when its found, anybody could locate it in the world map and fight the owner of the pecious, the lawspeaker of the village were the torphy stands at the end of the world win the game.
simimi

Postby VDZ » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:55 pm

simimi wrote:An idea is : you could reset the game often, like every month, so you can "win" the partie, then be in a E-penis classement, or have some nice fancy honorific clothes so people know you are special when they meet you in game in the next world, accumulationg trophys that stay worlds after worlds ...

Personally, I like the ascension system Kingdom of Loathing uses. During the game you have a bunch of main quests, and after you've completed them all you have the option to 'ascend'. Ascending means you create an entirely new character but keep your stuff, and, more importantly, choose one skill to keep permanently - future characters will have that skill even if it doesn't fit their class, allowing for impossible character builds. Furthermore, when ascending, you get the option to enable specific challenges for your next playthrough, such as not being allowed to use any food or booze, or not being allowed to access your stuff or trade with other players. These challenges can be abandoned at any time IIRC, but if you complete the game with these challenges enabled you will receive unique powerful items that are totally worth it. (I haven't played it in ages, but I've done an Oxycore run before and the plexiglass pocketwatch was definitely worth it.)
VDZ

Postby venatorvenator » Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:44 am

simimi wrote:Thats the problem with all survival games, as soon as you get your settlement ( house + weat in minecraft, brickwall + farm in H&H, etc...) there is nothing to do.
Well, you can do stuff ( get super enchanted diamond gear in Minecraft, get super high level stuff in H&H), but there is no more vital goal.
PvP is a nice adition to give you a reason to stay in game, but face it, grinding quality so you can hope to raid another village and loot things you probably dont need ...
The trick to make a survival game interseting past the early stage is to be find.
An idea is : you could reset the game often, like every month, so you can "win" the partie, then be in a E-penis classement, or have some nice fancy honorific clothes so people know you are special when they meet you in game in the next world, accumulationg trophys that stay worlds after worlds ...

So how to know who "win" at the end of the world ?
There could be an unique liftable artefect somwere underground to be find, and when its found, anybody could locate it in the world map and fight the owner of the pecious, the lawspeaker of the village were the torphy stands at the end of the world win the game.

I don't deny we seriously need more late game content, but having an official goal seems beyond the point of a sandbox survival game. Sandbox is for creative people, you should be responsible for creating your own source of fun. Fighting is the most obvious path because that's what the current game and character systems push us to do (since it's the most developed playing option), but there are many examples of people who refuse to play the game as a competition, as you are proposing. There was this player who simply wandered the world with his main char. There was this other who went around planting stuff and making grass roads just because he liked it. There was one who made games and scavenger hunts for other players. There is a bunch of paving artists. There was this guy who wrote funny runestones. There was this one who collected frogs. There was another who KO'ed people, stole their pants, and took them home. There were some players who worshiped a tree and built temples for it. There was a player who tried to build crossroads everywhere on the map. There was one who tried to build a huge open city, another a huge road, and a few others who tried to make a maze for the community.

There are already too many dumbed-down games that lead the player by the hand and flash in big letters "DO THIS" and "GO THIS WAY", it would be a shame if Haven followed that path. This relative lack of goals and winners is haven's greatest feature, in my opinion.
Xcom wrote:Most good things last only a short time
venatorvenator

Postby simimi » Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:43 pm

Well, in my suggestion there will be only one "winner", so you will be very unlikly to be this one, living place for all type of sand box play style.
But the competitve players will not be focus on kiling noobs out of bordom, and more of recruting for the big end game battle, leading to a more social game I guess.
Cause if you kill a player, there is great chance that he will make a new toon and join one oposit faction for revenche, new players will be see as potential ressources and not annoyance.
And if the world refresh often a new player could always have a chance to find high qual spot, and not be in a huge power gap in front of the older players.
With not enough time to make uber fighting toons, people will have the incentive to make zerg armies ( Comodo village style ) that cant be alts.

So the end of the world will be a giant epic zerg battle.
But its very hard to have a very populated village ( spys, managing people, etc..).
So the goal of factions will not be power but popularity.
At the end of the wolrd, every ermite and little farmer will know they will die, and they will be exited to contribute to the final épic battles.
So they will chose the people to die for, those who helped them.
simimi

Postby krikke93 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:33 pm

MrGemini wrote:7 days to die ftw :) But it still needs some more content.

I've played 7 days to die for 48 hours now and all I can say is: Best survival game out there aside from HnH. It can almost top HnH for me, because since short it contains quality much like HnH has quality. If it contained foraging like HnH did, it'd be better in my eyes.

Pinkie-Pie wrote:Rust is a lot like HnH. You get dropped onto the map with nothing but a rock and "GL, everyone wants to kill you but like here's a rock, have fun." :mrgreen:

Played Rust for exactly 400 hours. It's amazing if you have a group of friends that have alot of time to spend into this game with you. The experimental branch is getting better and better with weekly new content. Only downside is the server reset every week, but it's a beta, so yeah.

All in all, both wonderful games that I'd recommend to anyone. Try 'em out, you won't regret it!
Hope you have a great day
krikke93

Postby hawkflak » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:31 pm

I dont believe on hnh 2.0 :(

maybe the future reservs something for us.
English is not my mother tongue
hawkflak

Postby Ninijutsu » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:41 pm

simimi wrote:Thats the problem with all survival games, as soon as you get your settlement ( house + weat in minecraft, brickwall + farm in H&H, etc...) there is nothing to do

So, just like real life.
Of another era.
Ninijutsu

Postby Rhiannon » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:38 pm

I agree with some of the above, Sandbox means diversity of play styles, I don't believe in "Win goals" for sandboxes as it defeats the purpose of an "Endless world". There is a game called Banished that I do enjoy very much that has a very similar feel to HnH. 'Course there in no personal hunting or fighting, and it's just a city build/survival game where your goals is too keep your city alive. But as far as the look and feel it gives me some HnH tingles. They have the game on steam and maybe gog I don't know. But for those who like a real depth of building, production lines and citizens who just love to starve to death it's good time consumer with some good feels as far as those aspects go.

You just get the game and then the official expansion mod and the citizen aging mod and together you'll have blast on those aspects anyway.
official mod is here http://colonialcharter.com/.

You get that mod here http://banishedinfo.com/mods/view/679-CC-Excellent-Adventure-BlackLiquid
and the aging mod here http://banishedinfo.com/mods/view/27-one-year-is-one-year-Update-10-15030318

You just save them to the wininfo folder in the Banished folder on your harddrive...open game, activate those 2 mods and start a game It's gave me quite a few "Play 12 hour straight" sessions. Ansd I'm sure sooner or later someone will make a war/fighting mod....but for now, that game really does give me a lot of the HnH crafting/farming/production tingles and helps my sandbox fix. So give it try and I think you'll see a lot of similarities, even has kinda the same-ish look/feel to it. (Oh and is hard as hell at times and quite the sandbox challenge).
************************************ RAVENHOLM ************************************
***************************** IN LIEBE UND FREUNDSCHAFT *************************
************************************* Für Immer **************************************
Rhiannon

PreviousNext

Return to The Inn of Brodgar