Game like HnH

General discussion and socializing.

Re: Game like HnH

Postby Rhiannon » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:46 pm

venatorvenator wrote:
I don't deny we seriously need more late game content, but having an official goal seems beyond the point of a sandbox survival game. Sandbox is for creative people, you should be responsible for creating your own source of fun. Fighting is the most obvious path because that's what the current game and character systems push us to do (since it's the most developed playing option), but there are many examples of people who refuse to play the game as a competition, as you are proposing. There was this player who simply wandered the world with his main char. There was this other who went around planting stuff and making grass roads just because he liked it. There was one who made games and scavenger hunts for other players. There is a bunch of paving artists. There was this guy who wrote funny runestones. There was this one who collected frogs. There was another who KO'ed people, stole their pants, and took them home. There were some players who worshiped a tree and built temples for it. There was a player who tried to build crossroads everywhere on the map. There was one who tried to build a huge open city, another a huge road, and a few others who tried to make a maze for the community.

There are already too many dumbed-down games that lead the player by the hand and flash in big letters "DO THIS" and "GO THIS WAY", it would be a shame if Haven followed that path. This relative lack of goals and winners is haven's greatest feature, in my opinion.

100% agreement, whole purpose of sandbox is to make a home, YOUR home. I too have seen a HUGE variety of people since World 1 and the strange goals they have had. One of My Brothers played for years and still does occasionally, he liked to fish, and fish, and fish some more, he said it was as relaxing as going fishing in real life without all the worm shit on his fingers..LMAO The true sign of a great sandbox IS when a player can find endless hours, months, even years doing something THEY love, even it if it is just worshiping a tree and or going around paving smiley faces everywhere. I think HnH potentially captured this possibility more and better than ANY sandbox I've ever seen to this day, and still cannot be beaten for that aspect by any game I've ever ran across. If they have a lick of sense, they will keep it that way. I myself, for the longest time, had an embassy in the ROB, and I loved hiding in the grapevines outside my embassy door and waiting for people to walk by upon which I would come running out and scare the absolute shit of them...one guy told me he kicked his monitor off his desk and spilt hot coffee all over himself as he fell back out of his chair when I did that in the middle of the night...said it scared him so bad he shook for 20 minutes..LMAO Never seen any other game produce that kind of tension when you arrived at a community HUB. Tis still my favorite HnH moment...and all I did was run out to say "hi"..lmao
************************************ RAVENHOLM ************************************
***************************** IN LIEBE UND FREUNDSCHAFT *************************
************************************* Für Immer **************************************
Rhiannon

Postby txtrung0 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:51 pm

Oh Banished, the only City Builder that really got me. I played a fair bit due to its simplicity and beautiful/ serene feel. Until the tailor die of old age and the "baby boomers" arrive...
Also that stupid 5 years rock trader... fuck that guy.
I would say it's nearer to Dwarf Fortress than HnH but the isometric view does make it familiar.
txtrung0

Postby Rhiannon » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:03 am

txtrung0 wrote:Oh Banished, the only City Builder that really got me. I played a fair bit due to its simplicity and beautiful/ serene feel. Until the tailor die of old age and the "baby boomers" arrive...
I would say it's nearer to Dwarf Fortress than HnH but the isometric view does make it familiar.

yeah the mod I posted expands it by like 1000 times. Adding 100's of animals, crops, building upgrades, map choices, new products and productions lines...you can even go whaling now with whaling ships..lol So If ya did like it as simple as it was, multiply that by 1000 with the expansion + the aging mod will remove the irritation of the low birth rate and running out of citizens who die before you have any new people to replace them with.
************************************ RAVENHOLM ************************************
***************************** IN LIEBE UND FREUNDSCHAFT *************************
************************************* Für Immer **************************************
Rhiannon

Postby hawkflak » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:08 am

Rhiannon wrote:
txtrung0 wrote:Oh Banished, the only City Builder that really got me. I played a fair bit due to its simplicity and beautiful/ serene feel. Until the tailor die of old age and the "baby boomers" arrive...

yeah the mod I posted expands it by like 1000 times. Adding 100's of animals, crops, building upgrades, map choices, new products and productions lines...you can even go whaling now with whaling ships..lol So If ya did like it as simple as it was, multiply that by 1000 with the expansion + the aging mod will remove the irritation of the low birth rate and running out of citizens who die before you have any new people to replace them with.

You made me buy this game :D
English is not my mother tongue
hawkflak

Postby Rhiannon » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:42 am

lol, well, as you could see from the reviews of it (if it was steam) the vast majority found it well worth the money. I also note how thankful I was at the simplicity of adding mods, just save download to that folder and open game, activate them and good to go. Hope you enjoy it, I know I've been obsessed the last few days with getting the damn trader to bring me the right seeds/stuff to I can go frakking whaling and see how that is. The new upgrade houses options and the stuff it requires (means lots of production lines) also has made me obsessed trying to get every house style maxed out to see what they look like. Still haven't done the silkworms production line, another obsessed...whole thing just brought such new life to that game, In between HnH and that new Banished expansion I'm getting no sleep and nothing done...but at least my lack of a life is full..LMAO
Rhiannon

Postby Rodimus » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:22 am

nothing beats out HnH.
well seriously it gets boring after awhile.
W7 - Crestfall
W8 - Silvermoon
W10 - Pueblo Comedia
W11 - Misplaced Caves
W12 - Insulated Gulch
W14 - Vallblómbyrđa
W14 - Local Area Network
W15 - ???
Rodimus

Other games like Haven

Postby Bodomfreak » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:51 am

Has anyone here played 'Life is Feudal' 'Darkfall unholy wars' or 'Archage' ?
As far as I know a lot people who play this game do so because their computers are incapable of handling the higher tier games but for any who have I would be interested to hear how they are when compared to haven.
A lost mage
Bodomfreak

Re: Other games like Haven

Postby painhertz » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:00 am

There's already a thread like this.....
"I shall PERSONALLY witness for you at the shiny, chrome gates of Valhalla!"
painhertz

Postby jordancoles » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:41 am

Bodomfreak wrote:Has anyone here played 'Life is Feudal' 'Darkfall unholy wars' or 'Archage' ?
As far as I know a lot people who play this game do so because their computers are incapable of handling the higher tier games but for any who have I would be interested to hear how they are when compared to haven.

Played Darkfall, enjoyed the shit out of it. Got gud, then the server pop plummetted after some stupid updates that sucked the fun right out of it. Also, at the moment the game has gone 4 months without updates while on a monthly sub model. People are not happy, and the community is even smaller than haven's is.

Super fun game, but little to keep you going

Also, PING MATTERS

Here is a link to a guide video I made for Bram when he thought he wanted to get into the game
https://youtu.be/gRRmZayl97I

Also, some awesome pirating videos I recorded while playing.
They've fucked boating up quite a bit since then, but really fun times either way
https://youtu.be/onO8aWJ1XOo

https://youtu.be/UCg0rT9kcBU
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby Bodomfreak » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:45 am

Thanx for the response. The monthly sub actually attracted me at first as people are more likely to take the game seriously if they are paying for it, but with no players this kind of game would get old fast.
A lost mage
Bodomfreak

PreviousNext

Return to The Inn of Brodgar