Genetic Engineering--would you?

General discussion and socializing.

Re: Genetic Engineering--would you?

Postby Massa » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:01 pm

Let's argue about the morality of something we do not have even the tiniest inkling about and instead throw all of our misconceptions into a big ball of stupid.
ImageImage
ass blast USA
Massa

Postby amasarac » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:58 pm

I would create plants that gain sustenance from human sexual fluid, and that have ways of obtaining it.
amasarac

Postby Amanda44 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:22 pm

Massa wrote:Let's argue about the morality of something we do not have even the tiniest inkling about and instead throw all of our misconceptions into a big ball of stupid.

Lol, this is in part why I never came back into the discussion, at first I was like 'brilliant ... good topic for debate' but then I realised that in order to put my point of view across, which is not a popular one, in fairness to myself (not being religious but some tenuous bearing on morality and the way I view mankind/it's future) would only digress from the original topic .... and as the way I view things has a direct impact on all these types of topics it's probably best to just opt out. :lol:

It's been interesting though all the same. :)
Koru wrote:
It is like in Lord of the Flies, nobody controlls what is going on in the hearthlands, those weaker and with conscience are just fucked.
Animal lovers - Show us your pets! - viewtopic.php?f=40&t=44444#p577254
Amanda44

Postby mvgulik » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:22 pm

The "what would you do with this" part don't needs any opinion. Just some Imagination.

Although I did not get further than, better tasting banana's
wikipedia wrote:Ease of transport and shelf life rather than superior taste make the Dwarf Cavendish the main export banana.
or thinking about problems with bacteria/fungi/etc cleanup of radioactive materials.

(Oops. Just got reminded that your "Personally against genetic engineering", so that part will not really interest you.)
--- --- ---
((Roger :) ))
Last edited by mvgulik on Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mvgulik

Postby Amanda44 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:45 pm

^^ Oh, it's still interesting, being against something doesn't mean the details of it aren't interesting ..... I read the majority of the links, I always like to know as much as I can about any given subject I hold an opinion on and opinions can always change. Not that mine will on this particular subject I doubt but they have over others in the past. :)
Koru wrote:
It is like in Lord of the Flies, nobody controlls what is going on in the hearthlands, those weaker and with conscience are just fucked.
Animal lovers - Show us your pets! - viewtopic.php?f=40&t=44444#p577254
Amanda44

Postby borka » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:12 pm

Massa wrote:Let's argue about the morality of something -snip-

"Morality" like in "Monsanto" ?!?
borka

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:39 am

Funny you should bring that up, borka:

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/201 ... ng-farmers

Good ol' GM corn that is resistant to Monsanto's pesticides has in effect caused invasive nuisance plants to become resistant, too, due to many factors, the most obvious one being "natural selection and adaptation." Oh, wait, is evolution too controversial to discuss? :P
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby mvgulik » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:29 am

Monsanto: http://modernfarmer.com/2014/03/monsant ... r-problem/

Evolution knocking on another door: http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs194/en/

... Microbe's and Energy rule the Earth. Conflict's of interest rule the humans. ... :|
mvgulik

Postby loftar » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:19 pm

MagicManICT wrote:I can see a day in the near future when even high school students can get out a genetics kit and modify a few plant seeds and then grow them to see what their toying with genes did. (Maybe make a yellow and white daisy black or something.)

Well, the point I was trying to make was precisely that I doubt that. A "genetics kit" may conceivably make it possible to reproduce published results, but that is quite a different thing from sitting down and experimenting on one's own, which, for the reasons I described, I don't really see as viable for genetics.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby mvgulik » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:18 am

Plugging the http://www.abpischools.org.uk/ website. Which seems a really good source for basic-level bio-information.
Welcome to ABPI Schools, a free resource for teachers and students. High quality interactive materials cover many science topics in the primary and secondary school curriculum. At secondary level they focus on biology topics linked to treatment of disease.
Do note that ABPI stands for "Association of the British Pharmaceutical Industry". So its probably not a bad idea to keep that in mind when reading potential opinionated parts.

Genetic Engineering stuff on abpischools: geneticengineeringnew

--- --- ---
Super Weeds: Source report (wikipedia::UCS)(UCS::reports)
WTF: ... Don't Subscribe. The UCS website/e-mail is missing a easy and direct unsubscribe option.
(Any site that has no easy and direct unsubscribe option I find highly questionable.)
Last edited by mvgulik on Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mvgulik

PreviousNext

Return to The Inn of Brodgar