NEW BRODGAR: Expression of Interest

General discussion and socializing.

NEW BRODGAR: Expression of Interest

Postby Yolan » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:00 am

ROLL UP ROLL UP

OK, so for those of you who don't know, I organised the foundation (with the help of many great folks) of the town of Brodgar. With a new world coming, I think its time to have another go, making use of what was learned before.

I'm looking for people who would like to be a part of this city for a while, or at least help to form the layout and such. It would be a good way for you to build up some LP while working on your brand new character. To be clear, I am not putting myself forward as the future leader. I just want to put in some energy to get the ball rolling, and then hand over the reigns to somebody who has more IRL time than myself.

Read below, and if it interests you, respond to the thread. We can keep communicating here as the world reset evolves. After a suitable spot is found (any big _broad_ place will do in my opinion) we can share the spawn location and start chopping trees and laying pavers.

CONCEPT:

- First, on the standard model:

Villages in H&H generally always work on a model of distinguishing members from non-members, with members given access to most if not all of the at times considerable resources. Such villages are usually picky with who they let in, and revolve around select groups, often coming from affiliations outside the game, like DF, SA, etc.

Problems with the standard model: The above is perhaps the most natural way for most people to play. Either this, or being alone. However, the greater the number of members, the greater the village is open to problems pertaining from not knowing everybody (theft, discord over consumption of shared goods, griefing, etc.) As a result, these types of villages generally don't exceed more than a handful of individuals. This can make it a bit less exciting if you are hoping to find others on to work with/trade with/talk to. The result, I think, is a lot of these villages can run out of steam and become ghost towns.

- Now, the Brodgar (and New Brodgar) model:

The idea is not for a 'newbie helper city'. Rather, it is a city based on having no 'inner' 'outer' distinction. No locked and closed outer surrounding wall. Anybody may walk in or out or join (including newbies). This is not a problem as with the standard model, because _shared goods are kept at a strict minimum_. We are talking about a few areas for low Q seed storage, goodies for newbies to take as they please, etc. Nothing vital to anybody at all. This lowers the paranoia considerably, and allows (theoretically) for a much, much larger population, which hopefully makes it more interesting for everybody. Instead of shared resources, each player is allotted a similarly sized plot of land, large enough for a dwelling, and an industry or cottage farm/garden. It is up to the player to have a wall and gate built on their own land, up to them to put a claim on it, up to them to decide who is their friend and who has a key, etc. etc.

So, effectively, we have lots and lots of people living together, each with enough space to keep themselves productive with crafting/farming things, but without so much of the paranoia of not knowing who is around who might steal your shit. The biggest benefit in my opinion is that a city of dozens and dozens of people is possible, even more, leading to a much greater chance that you can simply walk to the central square and start shooting the breeze/selling shit/having some Greek polis style politicing/discussions. A simple democracy could be established with some basic rules, and elections for leaders on the forums every few months. One plot of land = one vote. Take a poll by screenshotting a map together of established plots, and having people identify where they live, to qualify to vote. Easy.

- What we learned from the last Brodgar:

Originally I pushed for high density living in the middle, surrounded by farms. This created a bit too much of a jumbled ghetto in the end, with hard to access points.
theTrav got it right in pushing for enough land each for everybody to have something to play with.

We also built a wall in Brodgar, which constrained growth badly. We also built next to a river in Brodgar, with the same results.

What we can do different in New Brodgar?

Long, _wide_ open ended boulevards. No city limit walls or gates (they would never be open/shut anyway). Location in a big area with lots of room to expand, not next to a river. Not necessarily by amazing Q resources (this is debatable, but people can trade for that shit imo). Standardized plot of land equivalent to say, 10 to 16 wooden huts. Grid layout that does not vary, but expands whenever needed with no problems. _basic_ community stuff (like crappy kilns/ovens, crappy seeds) in the plots immediately surrounding the central square. Have the central square have a well in the middle.

Here is a map I made of my proposal. The street design could be grid instead of half grid/half concentric. It doesn't matter so long as it is consistent.
Imagine each square as being the size of several shacks to get an idea of scale. Each plot of land would be clearly defined, assigned to whoever wants one, and free for them to do what they want with it.

EDIT: cs = cenral square. cl = community land

So, who is interested in helping out? Remember, if you try living there for a while and its not your cup of tea, you can always give your land to a new player later on. Also, I would appreciate people helping out just for the sake of getting it going, even if they don't intend to stay at all. It could be a good way for you to build up your new char before heading out to find whatever.
Yolan

Re: NEW BRODGAR: Expression of Interest

Postby Yolan » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:08 am

Just to be clear, please don't add to this thread if your contribution is something like 'this is a stupid/lame/naieve idea and it cant work/is doomed to failure/looks boring, etc. etc.

theTrav and myself addressed some of these ideas in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5056

The original Brodgar did peter out and die in this world, as did a lot of villages. If anything the reasons behind that were extrinsic to the actual concept behind the town (i.e. poor planning of layout, people getting bored of game in general, changes in accessibility/travel).

If you are skeptical, that is fine by me, but hence its best to think of it as a simple 'experiment' with alternative living organisation, rather than some kind of utopia online dream.
Yolan

Postby Lothaudus » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:10 am

this is a stupid/lame/naieve idea and it cant work/is doomed to failure/looks boring, etc. etc. :)

Nah, looks pretty cool. I think Brodgar or the idea of a Brodgar is worth a shot. It can provide a central place for trading and at least gives the chance that someone might be online to help if you're an individual who hasn't got any other community to go to.

The idea of plots for each person (they they can personally claim) sounds workable. Layout seems good. If you keep the min 5 tiles space needed between each plot (as personal claims can't get any closer than that), then you'll have plenty of roads around every plot that people won't get stuck in.

The only thing I can see bringing it down is town management issues in general. It'd be nice if there was some way to make a town "open for all" so that anyone can join by just right-clicking on the Charter Stone or something. Also some prick coming along and plonking a fat-ass personal claim down that has to be removed (why anyone would though...).

People are always going to get bored too and leave abandoned farms and what-not about the place. Nothing can be done about that.
Barry Fletcher Norwin
Lawspeaker of Crossroads - Leader of Codexia - Keeper of the Cheese
http://www.rpgcodex.net
Lothaudus

Postby Yolan » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:20 am

Yeah, thankfully we can use village influence to remove claims.

Unfortunately we still can't add people to the village who are not online, which is a pain in the ass for whoever is chieftain/law speaker. Hopefully the devs will fix this.

One good idea for plot management is taking a census every few months to see who is still active, weeding the garden as it were of abandoned plots.

I'm of the opinion that this is a good option for people who only want to play a little bit, not hours every day. They can log on, tend their modest farm/industry, do a little trade and have a chat.

I'm share other peoples reservations about a 'central trading area' in this game though... hence my trading post thread on the critique an ideas board. Of course, the town square might well be a major trading location if the city gets big enough..
Yolan

Postby Jackard » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:57 am

you should have 5 tile alleyways separating plots between the streets

would you want to set up a village green instead of a square? with the markets surrounding it
Jackard

Postby Yolan » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:33 pm

Yeah, maybe a distinction between separating 'alleys' and the main boulevards in size.

A 'green' could be nice.
Yolan

Postby Bl1tzX » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:42 am

Well, I guess I can just chop down a few trees, make a little plot of land, get bored of the game, remove my claim and let someone else move in.

In my opinion, we'd have a big problem with keeping the trees around the area alive.
Of course though, there is no logic in my posts and my opinion does not count.
Bl1tzX

Postby Peter » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:08 am

All I can suggest is that it's best to avoid complicated electoral processes; indeed, it will probably be best for the town as a whole to avoid anything other than "Don't kill or steal, other than to get your stuff back." You might want to add "Don't grief" but I'd say that's assumed and putting it there is just asking for it.

If I can ever find the place with my main, I'll be glad to help the effort.
Surprise.
Peter

Postby Winterbrass » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:20 am

I don't think I'd mind. It'd be nice to be able to just farm and bake shit for people.
jorb wrote:Haven aims to be hardcore.
Winterbrass

Postby Yolan » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:12 am

OK, I'm currently on a slow computer (although re-set has yet to occur), and won't be on decent internet till sunday arvo/evening.

Does anybody want to go ahead and find a nice big space for the kind of Brodgar as suggested by me in this thread, and then send me a hearthfire invite?

What about you Haro port guys? No big oceans in next map you say, so how about making a go of a big-ass open plan city?
Yolan

Next

Return to The Inn of Brodgar