Board of investigators

General discussion and socializing.

Board of investigators

Postby sami1337 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:29 pm

There's so much going on right now. Simple claim issues, trespassing, theft, battery, etc, etc.
I noticed as many other did that there's a lack of uniformity in the "justice" system.

So here's my idea on this. Not something for the developers but for the community (hence the inn).

Have a board of investigators investigate the most severe cases by means of rangers and own exploration.
If a case does not have enough evidence to support the claim the case will be dismissed.

If for example if a murderer is found guilty his name will be published and will be given a bounty (depending on how far the character developed + how much we want him to be found). If it can be resolved peacefully by any means this will be much preferred.

Tell me what you guys think of his?
The ones who see things differently.

You can praise them, disagree with them, quote them, disbelieve them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them.
And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius.
sami1337

Re: Board of investigators

Postby Raephire » Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:36 pm

I agree with this.

edit - We should also elect a panel of judges to listen to all sides of a story before deliberating a sentence. Scents dont necessarily equate a crime, even if theres a corpse.

As I said before I admit that I have inadvertently soiled Laketowns name through my actions and unfairly took the life of someone who was not involved but seemed to be. I'm willing to make amends for that. But I deny all claims to my life.
Raephire

Postby StarChaser » Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:39 pm

But who watches the Watchmen?

StarChaser

Postby Adam- » Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:40 pm

Don't we already have this? Anyone can make a post about a bounty on someones head. Not to mention the fact the Ranger looking for the criminal has to see the evidence to find him first.

Sorry but something like this just seems redundant. Your basically trying to put in an official part of what we already have.

What I think is that we need to have people who don't snap when there questioning innocents even bothering with crime investigation. They don't solve anything, they just cause more problems.

Even if this was decided on by the community, WHO is going to be the people that decide if the crime is legitimate or not? Certainly not the group of people who blow up at innocents? If you wanted this to work you would need to have one representative from each village who has been elected by that village.

After reading this it just seems like a huge waste of time, if you have a problem make a polite post about a bounty and the ranger will check for legitimacy and evidence.
Adam-

Postby Rift » Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:42 pm

Have a board of investigators investigate the most severe cases by means of rangers and own exploration.
If a case does not have enough evidence to support the claim the case will be dismissed.

If for example if a murderer is found guilty his name will be published and will be given a bounty (depending on how far the character developed + how much we want him to be found). If it can be resolved peacefully by any means this will be much preferred.

I'm not exactly opposed to this, however a number of questions need to be seriously addressed if this was to be done with any hope of success and not just be a witch hunt.

1) Who is on the board? why?
2) Who is a ranger? why?
3) What exactly is "enough evidence"?
4) Who can decide to dismiss/accept a case?
5) Who decides how much a bounty should be / who solves the problem peacefully?
6) How will this effect vigaliantism? Will this board of investigators be strongly against it and concider vigialanties criminals?
Rift

Postby Adam- » Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:47 pm

Rift wrote:

I'm not exactly opposed to this, however a number of questions need to be seriously addressed if this was to be done with any hope of success and not just be a witch hunt.

2) Who is a ranger? why?

6) How will this effect vigaliantism? Will this board of investigators be strongly against it and concider vigialanties criminals?

The underlined questions are the ones we really need to be concerned about. Honestly this offers to much complexity for a system that could revolve around something much simpler.

Best quote in the world "Keep it simple, stupid."
Adam-

Postby Raephire » Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:58 pm

I'd nominate Blaze
Raephire

Postby Adam- » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:00 pm

Raephire wrote:I'd nominate Blaze

I'd like to see if the system is even being accepted before I start voting, personally. Or making pre-vote decisions.
Adam-

Postby sami1337 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:35 pm

Rift wrote:

2) Who is a ranger? why?

1) renown members of the communities. I suggest the board consists of a chosen person of each town larger than 2 people (that's 3 min).
2) Rangers are freelancers. They either fight for justice or get paid for their service (but the latter is something that we need to work out).
3) The board decides if there's enough evidence. I for example find it extremely easy to pick out JTG's alts. If most of the board feels the same way requirements may be lowered to punish this person without having to go through a long process of fair trail.
4) All cases are accepted. Lack of evidence or simply the lack if will to work on the case are reasons for the board to dismiss a case.
5) Bounty has to be paid by the person that started the case. Another option is to have a case loan or have the bounty paid by donations.
6) The idea for the board is to eliminate the need for vigaliantism and provide a "fair" chance for both parties. If you want to be a law enforcer support the board and help where they need help.
The ones who see things differently.

You can praise them, disagree with them, quote them, disbelieve them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them.
And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius.
sami1337

Postby Hamel » Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:30 pm

sami1337 wrote:1) renown members of the communities. I suggest the board consists of a chosen person of each town larger than 2 people (that's 3 min).

Why not just have the board consist of the Lawspeaker and Chieftain of each village? That would save us from extraneous voting.

Although I must admit this idea does seem to be what we're already doing.
The grumpiest tree you ever did see.

Character: Hamel, previously Chieftain of Ancient Bottleneck, a founding father of the Confederation of Bottleneck. Currently a hibernating soul.
Hamel

Next

Return to The Inn of Brodgar