Bone Mother's Market

Forum for discussing in game politics, village relations and matters of justice.

Re: Bone Mother's Market

Postby VDZ » Sun May 30, 2021 8:39 pm

For me, it's not the morality itself that's the problem (in the end it's still a video game and the players signed up for this potential suffering, even if the amount of lost effort and often sheer malice in Haven blur the line a bit, and it gets further blurred when RMT/store items are involved). For me, it's more about the practical consequences.

Zentetsuken wrote:the fact that markets run by people who are not power PVP groups or respectable neutral people are easy targets.

This right here is the problem. "PvPers" (honestly nearly everyone could've done this, griefers were just the only ones who chose to) not just targeting neutral parties but insisting on fully annihilating their targets rather than just looting and leaving discourage community efforts like this. In a faction conflict I can understand completely annihilating a village to hinder retaliation efforts, but you gain nothing by completely destroying a neutral market. (In fact, you would more likely be shooting yourself in the foot as this prevents the market from recovering and becoming a potential source of future loot if you manage to raid it again.)

Zentetsuken wrote:Lunarius invited "poor innocent noobs" to sell their hard earned goods in his market but put extremely little effort in to keeping the place secure, he made a textbook, easily preventable security error and because of his severe lack of attention, care and responsibility, he allowed all the people who trusted him to have their shit stolen

This was a matter of incompetence, not lack of effort; clearly a lot of effort went into this market and Lunarius just failed to consider this unintuitive interaction. As a result of this small oversight combined with the malice of Haven griefers, the entire market was destroyed. The degree of competence required to build a public location 100% safely is very high; as you state, Lunarius has been playing this game for 10 years and has been running markets for a long time, and even with all that experience he still got everything destroyed due to not being aware of one specific interaction in Haven's complex, unintuitive and poorly documented rules. Which eventually leads to...

Ardennesss wrote:Stop pretending like using the vandalism permissions is some super obscure unpredictable interaction. When you specifically create an area that you plan to allow crimes, these are the things you should consider. And if they don't want to spend the time to think about that, maybe those people shouldn't be running markets.

If even someone as experienced as Lunarius shouldn't be running markets, then who should be running markets? Basically, if you combine all of your arguments it eventually boils down to 'people shouldn't be running markets'. But like I pointed out earlier, markets and similar community locations are beneficial to the game. As such, conversely, disincentivizing running community projects is harmful to the game. This behavior is harmful to the game, the game itself and not just the individual players you're directly affecting. Can't you just loot it and then let people rebuild it? Is the extra joy from vandalizing things worth harming the game for?
VDZ

Postby Zentetsuken » Sun May 30, 2021 8:52 pm

VDZ wrote:This was a matter of incompetence

this is all that needs to be said.

You cannot infer that "people should not be runinng markets" from the scenario where 1 infamously disliked person got his market fucked because he was both a public target for his behaviour AND incompetent

PVPer markets are filled with competent players, even if they are filled with infamously disliked people.

There are tons of markets that have gone unraided and untouched until the owners quit and the population plummeted.

There is no message between the lines here guys. Luarius ran a market dishonestly, it was a terrible decision for him to decide to make one because he didn't put in the EFFORT. Market permission are not tricky and they certainly shouldn't be something that a 10 year vet who has had markets before should struggle with, I also don't think he would be surprised to learn that he is generally disliked, I think I have even seen him openly admit this.

make stupid decisions, face consequences

wamp wamp

end of story, lets move on
Zentetsuken

Postby wolf1000wolf » Sun May 30, 2021 8:57 pm

A bit off-topic but something struck me while reading this thread... out of curiosity, is there ANY longtime player who's active on the forums that isn't disliked by some group or another?
wolf1000wolf

Postby magisticus » Sun May 30, 2021 9:41 pm

wolf1000wolf wrote:A bit off-topic but something struck me while reading this thread... out of curiosity, is there ANY longtime player who's active on the forums that isn't disliked by some group or another?

Ender
magisticus

Postby abt79 » Sun May 30, 2021 10:10 pm

wolf1000wolf wrote:A bit off-topic but something struck me while reading this thread... out of curiosity, is there ANY longtime player who's active on the forums that isn't disliked by some group or another?

It’s certainly a gradient and Lunarius tends more towards the shubla/enjoyment end of it than a general “everyone is disliked by SOMEONE” statement would be appropriate for. Someone more in tune with the community could probably provide a more comprehensive breakdown
abt79

Postby Dakkan » Sun May 30, 2021 10:18 pm

springyb wrote:I've also built a mountain

Post pictures
Dakkan

Postby azrid » Sun May 30, 2021 11:22 pm

someone who doesn't have any strong opinions and is a push over
not naming any names
azrid

Postby MurderAlt » Mon May 31, 2021 4:38 am

springyb wrote:I've also built a mountain

[x] to doubt
Hustlinguistics
Oddgorod Kill Squad

"Beware of such friendly neighbors"
MurderAlt

Postby saltyidiot » Mon May 31, 2021 5:55 am

SnuggleSnail wrote:[serious discourse]

If you want other players to be better you should make a tutorial for top-level play. If you indeed have some bots/clients/third-party software, as you've either claimed or joked about, you should share.

Won't help the complete farmville-wannabe's but could give us in the middle a lot more confidence.
saltyidiot

Postby Kaios » Mon May 31, 2021 11:23 am

saltyidiot wrote:
SnuggleSnail wrote:[serious discourse]

If you want other players to be better you should make a tutorial for top-level play. If you indeed have some bots/clients/third-party software, as you've either claimed or joked about, you should share.

Won't help the complete farmville-wannabe's but could give us in the middle a lot more confidence.

Client creators aren't going to share the advantages they have privately created for these groups. It's gotten so bad that there are clients completely stripped of everything except the bare minimum required to log in to a character and have scripts run those characters to check nodes, farm, and/or perform other various actions.
Kaios

PreviousNext

Return to The Moot