Bone Mother's Market

Forum for discussing in game politics, village relations and matters of justice.

Re: Bone Mother's Market

Postby ogey » Wed May 26, 2021 4:03 pm

I'm fairly sure they know why people don't like them and either don't care or revel in the hate.
ogey

Postby Zampfeo » Wed May 26, 2021 4:14 pm

ogey wrote:revel in the hate.

Not exactly. I used to have the same play style in sandbox PVP games when I was a teen (had more time) and it's very cathartic. It's less about reveling in the hate and more about having the power to bend the game to your will. Consider everyone was a sprucecap at some point and that degree of mastery of the game is very rewarding. I guarantee you Snail and crew had more enjoyment destroying that market than any of us have had all world. You would too if you were in the position to do so. That's just the nature of most sandbox PVP games especially if the way the game is designed makes griefing more fun than carebearing.
Zampfeo

Postby kiddoinc » Wed May 26, 2021 4:23 pm

Zampfeo wrote:
ogey wrote:revel in the hate.

Not exactly. I used to have the same play style in sandbox PVP games when I was a teen (had more time) and it's very cathartic. It's less about reveling in the hate and more about having the power to bend the game to your will. Consider everyone was a sprucecap at some point and that degree of mastery of the game is very rewarding. I guarantee you Snail and crew had more enjoyment destroying that market than any of us have had all world. You would too if you were in the position to do so. That's just the nature of most sandbox PVP games especially if the way the game is designed makes griefing more fun than carebearing.

Yeah pretty sure they get an ego trip messing with the sprucecaps. Its funny how they cant compete with other big bois so they decide to pick on the weaker groups. They cant hack it against another faction so they have to get their release somehow.
kiddoinc

Postby Zampfeo » Wed May 26, 2021 4:32 pm

kiddoinc wrote:Yeah pretty sure they get an ego trip messing with the sprucecaps.

You may think this is an insult, but it is not.

kiddoinc wrote:Its funny how they cant compete with other big bois so they decide to pick on the weaker groups. They cant hack it against another faction so they have to get their release somehow.

They can compete with both just fine.

I've seen the same take many times before in this and other games and I can assure you that you are not getting under their skin and it instead comes off a bit cringe.
Zampfeo

Postby VDZ » Wed May 26, 2021 4:39 pm

Zampfeo wrote:I'm not defending their actions, but they're just playing within the parameters of how the game is designed. In other words, blame Loftorb for this, not Snail.

In much the same way we should never blame corporations for fucking over people as long as they're not technically violating the law, and lay all the blame on lawmakers instead? I agree the game systems do not sufficiently punish this kind of behavior, but that's not because the devs want to encourage it but rather because it's so damn hard to design fair systems that can't be abused too much and at the same time don't restrict players too much. In much the same way, you can be a complete asshole in real life without ever violating the law; that does not make you any less of an asshole or less responsible for being an asshole.
VDZ

Postby kiddoinc » Wed May 26, 2021 4:42 pm

I like you mr bully apologist. I wasn't insulting anyone just musing why they do it. Its a good way for em to feel powerful, gotta get it somewhere. I dont need to get under anyones skin because i dont care. I may be young but i too have seen the type of personality that does this and its honestly just meh.

The fight vids Ive seen let me know that no they cannot compete with the real big bois. Cringe is coming to the defense of people clearly just trying to ruin other peoples enjoyment.

VDZ gets it. Good analogy.
kiddoinc

Postby VDZ » Wed May 26, 2021 4:51 pm

Anyways, what most irks me about this is not that the raiders are assholes (to a certain extent being an asshole in-game is fine), but rather that this kind of behavior destroys and dissuades community projects. In other threads people complain that older worlds were better because of community projects, and that friendly player interaction is lacking. These kinds of places are genuinely one of the most enjoyable aspects of the game for many players, and this kind of behavior prevents these aspects from growing, which directly takes away some of the appeal of the game. Morality aside, events like these are clearly damaging the game itself. If you hurt someone's fee-fees, they can just get over it. But reducing incentive to set up community projects has a tangible effect on the game's enjoyability for people. They're not just harming the players, they're harming the game. I think that's where it goes over the line from 'just playing the game' to genuinely unacceptable behavior. Looting their stuff was fine, but there was no reason to vandalize the community project itself. Stuff like this makes it harder to defend players having the option to harm each other nearly without limit as a healthy gameplay element.
VDZ

Postby SnuggleSnail » Wed May 26, 2021 4:59 pm

haha my kiwifarms thread is pinned in the haven discord you guys should consider contributing to it
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby iamahh » Wed May 26, 2021 5:17 pm

the peak for markets was W11, had the major market (Community Fair), and many others you could keep exchanging coins all day, everybody was cool and played along till the last day

then came W12 and suddenly playerbase turned into little men, must prove this, must be that, small markets destroyed, no larping allowed... W13 seems to be the same, new players will start realizing the current haven mood, but its been like this since W11 ended
iamahh

Postby shubla » Wed May 26, 2021 5:42 pm

iamahh wrote:the peak for markets was W11, had the major market (Community Fair), and many others you could keep exchanging coins all day, everybody was cool and played along till the last day

then came W12 and suddenly playerbase turned into little men, must prove this, must be that, small markets destroyed, no larping allowed... W13 seems to be the same, new players will start realizing the current haven mood, but its been like this since W11 ended

You can only blame devs, they are ones who could easily change mechanics but they refuse to, either they want people to suffer or then they are too retarded to understand their own game.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

PreviousNext

Return to The Moot