how does this community feel about irl money for protection?

Forum for discussing in game politics, village relations and matters of justice.

Re: how does this community feel about irl money for protect

Postby linkfanpc » Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:36 pm

1: It's the start of a new world, it's kind of a bad idea to jump in unless you're a semi-veteran or very persistent. All the no-lifes and tryhards are playing right now and are competing for land, resources, and server ping, and will do everything they can to erase you from the equation.

2: Since you're "new" (or haven't played in a long time) i'll give you a tip, base deep inside a cave before you have a palisade. Very unlikely anyone will find you. Don't pave the ground or do anything that might appear on the minimap, then just kill squirrels and chickens for the hides/leather and boneglue for the palisade. Ropes are a lot easier to make than back in legacy, you can find cattails and make bark fibres.

3: If there's someone around that totally ignored your claim and bashed your stuff they definitely really don't want you there. Consider moving.

4: There are plenty of nice and friendly encounters to be had in the game, if all you've been met with is hostility you're in a ridiculously high risk hotspot. Seriously consider moving.

5: Extorting people for real money in exchange for mercy is acceptable so i don't see why bribing them for protection isn't. The only issue is there's a big skill/equipmebt gap between big boi factions (who want to kill you to remove competition) and the average joe who'll actually have a common interest with you. I don't think you'll find what you're looking for, partially due to unwillingness to compete with these large factions, but mostly due to complete inability to.

6: It is dev stance that new players will suffer and that's okay. There is no protection given because that can only lead to griefing. (If a new character can't die for 1 real hour, i can set up a bot to make 20 new characters every hour and bodyblock your gates, etc etc etc) The main fun and thrill to be had from Haven & Hearth is the risk and reward. You never know when someone or something might emerge from the bushes and slit your throat, and that makes every achievement feel huge, as if you've cheated death. For maximum enjoyment, you should adopt this mindset or something similar, otherwise this may simply be the wrong game for you.

TL;DR either move, wait a couple months for the tryhards to leave, or hide in a cave to make your palisade materials.
Waiting for something to happen? Everything is going to be okay.
jorb wrote:Hitting a "Ghejejiiwlonk" with your "Umappawoozle" for eightyfifteen points of "Sharmakookel", simply makes no sense.

W7: Semi-Hermit
W8: Semi-Hermit
W9-13: Lawspeaker of villages of myself-4 people.

There's SOMETHING behind you.
linkfanpc

Postby bondowondo » Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:46 pm

linkfanpc wrote:
6: It is dev stance that new players will suffer and that's okay. There is no protection given because that can only lead to griefing. (If a new character can't die for 1 real hour, i can set up a bot to make 20 new characters every hour and bodyblock your gates, etc etc etc) The main fun and thrill to be had from Haven & Hearth is the risk and reward. You never know when someone or something might emerge from the bushes and slit your throat, and that makes every achievement feel huge, as if you've cheated death. For maximum enjoyment, you should adopt this mindset or something similar, otherwise this may simply be the wrong game for you.

the developers stance in that regard is ridiculous, and outright wrong. it would be effortless to detect something like that and simply ban the offender(s) automatically, as no legitimate IP is going to be creating 20 new characters, all of them logged in and just standing around in the same place. its a lack of desire on their part, not a lack of ability. not like 20 fresh toons are going to be "body blocking" anything for more than a minute anyways, since an hour old account isnt going to grab enough LP to be effective at all in combat, though you could always smash down a ton of highQ food and pop up your stats, i dont see any of that happening in the scenario you set out (the only one the devs seem to acknowledge also.)

edit: the rest is decent advice. but im not just talking about 1 area, in multiple worlds throughout all my time, ive NEVER encountered a friendly who stayed friendly for more than a few days, at which point they come on strong with the gank squad.
bondowondo

Postby linkfanpc » Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:54 pm

bondowondo wrote:not like 20 fresh toons are going to be "body blocking" anything for more than a minute anyways, since an hour old account isnt going to grab enough LP to be effective at all in combat

So do you want new character invulnerability or not? Were you implying only their claims should be safer from higher statted players? In that case i could simply slap down a dozen claims all around their home to annoy them and they can't do anything about it.
Waiting for something to happen? Everything is going to be okay.
jorb wrote:Hitting a "Ghejejiiwlonk" with your "Umappawoozle" for eightyfifteen points of "Sharmakookel", simply makes no sense.

W7: Semi-Hermit
W8: Semi-Hermit
W9-13: Lawspeaker of villages of myself-4 people.

There's SOMETHING behind you.
linkfanpc

Postby telum12 » Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:56 pm

bondowondo wrote:
linkfanpc wrote:

the developers stance in that regard is ridiculous, and outright wrong. it would be effortless to detect something like that and simply ban the offender(s) automatically, as no legitimate IP is going to be creating 20 new characters, all of them logged in and just standing around in the same place. its a lack of desire on their part, not a lack of ability. not like 20 fresh toons are going to be "body blocking" anything for more than a minute anyways, since an hour old account isnt going to grab enough LP to be effective at all in combat, though you could always smash down a ton of highQ food and pop up your stats, i dont see any of that happening in the scenario you set out (the only one the devs seem to acknowledge also.)

edit: the rest is decent advice. but im not just talking about 1 area, in multiple worlds throughout all my time, ive NEVER encountered a friendly who stayed friendly for more than a few days, at which point they come on strong with the gank squad.

Hey a random ass-hat who says anti-bot mechanics are a simple case of just implementing it lmao
MagicManICT wrote:To me, being called a pedo is exactly like being called gay.

Jalpha wrote:She must have been in heat bro. She was literally fanging for it. Literally posting repeatedly in chat, in all caps "DO IT! POST YOUR DICK! THERE'S NO WAY IT'S 7 INCHES!"

How could any hot-blooded male deny such a request under the circumstances.
telum12

Postby bondowondo » Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:00 pm

linkfanpc wrote:
bondowondo wrote:not like 20 fresh toons are going to be "body blocking" anything for more than a minute anyways, since an hour old account isnt going to grab enough LP to be effective at all in combat

So do you want new character invulnerability or not? Were you implying only their claims should be safer from higher statted players? In that case i could simply slap down a dozen claims all around their home to annoy them and they can't do anything about it.

my point is that stance is 100% invalid, because they could easily detect someone actively exploiting the game in such a way and deal with it automatically. not to mention the ease of simply leading a hostile animal to them and teleporting away, breaking agro and sending it after them.

but this is all besides the point :

who wants to get payed to murder people around my claim?
bondowondo

Postby SnuggleSnail » Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:13 pm

RMT or in-game stuff like hats/tokens for protection is pretty common in haven.

That said, it's not really possible for somebody to "protect" if you're not competent enough to protect yourself. I could kill you in 10-20 seconds, probably, but it would take me 20 minutes+ to get to you if you were messaging me for help. Protection is usually on a more "I'll protect you from what I'll do to you if you don't pay me" basis here.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby bondowondo » Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:23 pm

unsure what RMT is. as for hats, why would they even bother when i can just get my hats back from my hearthfire at any time? or do i misunderstand how that system works, or what hats you are talking about? just trying to get a grasp on the way it generally works in that regard. though i find it odd that anyone would choose in game items over actual money. also more looking for a security guard than a dude to come running from miles away when i message him. hence why im offering actual money rather than in game items.
bondowondo

Postby pawnchito » Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:27 pm

RMT is real money trade. They mean trading ownership of hats.

Its frowned upon by the community probably. This is the ultimate sandbox though so RMT only happens because people do it. Its like prostitution, its not just the people providing the service its also the people purchasing that service.
pawnchito

Postby SavageFox » Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:28 pm

bondowondo wrote:unsure what RMT is. as for hats, why would they even bother when i can just get my hats back from my hearthfire at any time? or do i misunderstand how that system works, or what hats you are talking about? just trying to get a grasp on the way it generally works in that regard. though i find it odd that anyone would choose in game items over actual money. also more looking for a security guard than a dude to come running from miles away when i message him. hence why im offering actual money rather than in game items.

if you trade your hat to someone else you lose it forever

by the way it's somebody's griefing you might because you're griefing them too and you don't even realize it are you settling on a mudflat it might be high quality clay and you don't know it cuz your masonry is garbage
are you building next to a swamp it screws up the swamp if you are are you settling next to a mountain it also screws up the mountain spawn rates for Curiosities and animals are you settling next to the ocean or a river people love to f*** with people by a river and ocean it's just a bad idea
Last edited by SavageFox on Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SavageFox

Postby bondowondo » Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:37 pm

SavageFox wrote:
bondowondo wrote:unsure what RMT is. as for hats, why would they even bother when i can just get my hats back from my hearthfire at any time? or do i misunderstand how that system works, or what hats you are talking about? just trying to get a grasp on the way it generally works in that regard. though i find it odd that anyone would choose in game items over actual money. also more looking for a security guard than a dude to come running from miles away when i message him. hence why im offering actual money rather than in game items.

if you trade your hat to someone else you lose it forever

ahh okay, so only unwilling loss of hats = you get it back. well fuck in that case i got hats too boys.
bondowondo

PreviousNext

Return to The Moot