Re: The only world reset/wipe requests/discussion topic

Postby Aceb » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:13 pm

discospaceman wrote:New world will bring more Hearthlings online again. Like other people said some people prefer early/mid world more than late, and while this game is beautiful enough to (somehow) make it happen, I can only be a retired hearthling for so long before I get sad :(.

More players = better

more players for 2 weeks is not worth it. just wait until reset will be justified by developers, not by not even playing players.
A quest for a hat. - W10
Haven't spawned yet
Aceb

Postby discospaceman » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:21 pm

Aceb wrote:
discospaceman wrote:New world will bring more Hearthlings online again. Like other people said some people prefer early/mid world more than late, and while this game is beautiful enough to (somehow) make it happen, I can only be a retired hearthling for so long before I get sad :(.

More players = better

more players for 2 weeks is not worth it. just wait until reset will be justified by developers, not by not even playing players.

But would a world reset really take that much effort for developers or detract from their process? I would think not. The chances of gaining more 'permanent' players from another world reset and the resulting ~1 month doubling or so of players are infinitely greater than gaining more with an old world. Hell in W10 we were up overall by over 50% for a good six months there.
discospaceman

Postby Aceb » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:32 pm

discospaceman wrote:
Aceb wrote:

More players = better

But would a world reset really take that much effort for developers or detract from their process? I would think not. The chances of gaining more 'permanent' players from another world reset and the resulting ~1 month doubling or so of players are infinitely greater than gaining more with an old world. Hell in W10 we were up overall by over 50% for a good six months there.

Yes, it would take effort since jorb stated, that they work on world genenerator before each reset
+ You forget about players who keep playing now and I take most of those are those who don't jump off the train when first excuse happen and why would they have to suffer progress loss, because other who didn't make keep crying for a reset before there's a need for one?
A quest for a hat. - W10
Haven't spawned yet
Aceb

Postby discospaceman » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:04 pm

Aceb wrote:
discospaceman wrote:But would a world reset really take that much effort for developers or detract from their process? I would think not. The chances of gaining more 'permanent' players from another world reset and the resulting ~1 month doubling or so of players are infinitely greater than gaining more with an old world. Hell in W10 we were up overall by over 50% for a good six months there.

Yes, it would take effort since jorb stated, that they work on world genenerator before each reset
+ You forget about players who keep playing now and I take most of those are those who don't jump off the train when first excuse happen and why would they have to suffer progress loss, because other who didn't make keep crying for a reset before there's a need for one?

Buddy, you're way too hostile to people who like to play the game differently than you. It's not a good look. I don't think anything I said is unreasonable. There's no 'first excuse', there's just a problem with players staying engaged as a world goes on, and that's a game issue not a player issue. If the devs don't acknowledge that, they won't get more players.
We're all wanting this game to succeed and since we have different views our solutions differ.
discospaceman

Postby Aceb » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:29 pm

discospaceman wrote:...

So, if I say there are players, that still play and don't want reset, I'm being hostile for having that different view You speak about?

It's not about people playing differently than me, since I belong to those who aren't even close to top, playing my own game, getting fun out of it.
It's about a lot of people playing only for few weeks, 2 top month and be bored or going right away to cry for world reset, usually covering it with a lot of excuse why they aren't to blame but everyone else.
A quest for a hat. - W10
Haven't spawned yet
Aceb

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:49 pm

Nobody other than yourself is stopping you from playing right now. What's so special about a new world? Don't have player ruins all over the place? Well, if you don't like player ruins all over the place, don't quit playing. The only thing wrong with the current world is in your own head. (Well, outside the balance issues, anyway, but a reset doesn't fix those, only fixes fix those, and if a reset is done without the fixes, then we're right back to where we're at in a few months time, anyway.)
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby discospaceman » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:12 pm

Aceb wrote:
discospaceman wrote:...

So, if I say there are players, that still play and don't want reset, I'm being hostile for having that different view You speak about?

It's not about people playing differently than me, since I belong to those who aren't even close to top, playing my own game, getting fun out of it.
It's about a lot of people playing only for few weeks, 2 top month and be bored or going right away to cry for world reset, usually covering it with a lot of excuse why they aren't to blame but everyone else.

"cry...jump of the train....excuse....." sounds hostile to me

I'm done here. Nothing I said is inaccurate or unreasonable
discospaceman

Postby discospaceman » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:17 pm

MagicManICT wrote:Nobody other than yourself is stopping you from playing right now. What's so special about a new world? Don't have player ruins all over the place? Well, if you don't like player ruins all over the place, don't quit playing. The only thing wrong with the current world is in your own head. (Well, outside the balance issues, anyway, but a reset doesn't fix those, only fixes fix those, and if a reset is done without the fixes, then we're right back to where we're at in a few months time, anyway.)

I get that. No doubt! I'm of the camp that argues a world reset sooner rather than later is better for the game as a whole, for the various reasons I've outlined above, that no one seems to address properly. It's not a player problem, it's a game problem, since every single world playercount decreases over time. Until this isn't the case it would probably be prudent to reset the world sooner rather than later, if you can even put a real time duration on it.

That's a fatal flaw in game development - "Is it my baby? No, it's the players who are wrong...."

Everyone starts and plays because they love this game. I certainly do.
discospaceman

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:08 am

I might take some of what these arguments were into consideration if every other MMO on the planet didn't experience this same thing with population fluctuations (with a couple notable exceptions). People have attention spans, those spans run out, and people get bored. I do. That's why I've never really committed to a village. I feel it takes a certain amount of responsibility to the people your playing with to stick it out for six months or more in this game. At least on my own I can not bother with livestock if I don't want to, skip hunting for food, or whatever I don't want to do. Take a four or eight week vacation? No problem! Getting bored here? Let's go elsewhere!

What the other guys DON'T do is reset the world. At least for the most part. There's a few games out there designed around a fixed progression, and that's the end of the world. A few games have "progression servers" that are popular that go back through that journey in time from launch to present day, and players get to decide the pace of "new content" popping up. (I'd probably be playing an EQ progression server if I could afford the subscription.) Once the end is reached, a majority vote resets back to day 1... usually takes a few years in EQ anymore.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Hrenli » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:19 am

MagicManICT wrote:What's so special about a new world?

New map is quite a factor, I think. Personally I am fine with the current world as it is and I am still playing. But I don't mind a reset either because for me it would make exploring viable again. Not for too long, admittedly, it's just first 2-3 months while the map is completely blank at first and then the initial stage of political turmoil is different from what comes later.
Too old to rock-n-roll, too young to die.
Hrenli

PreviousNext

Return to Misc.