Re: The only world reset/wipe requests/discussion topic

Postby Hrenli » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:23 am

MagicManICT wrote:People have attention spans, those spans run out, and people get bored.

It's not only about attention span. There are two categories of game content: provided by game mechanics and player driven. The first is limited and tend to end. Technically, after you reached 5th cave level, killed a mammoth and a troll you sort of seen it all. You either restart again on another char in another place or keep quality grind and participate in player driven activities, which tend to be more long lasting.

So, the amount of technical game content is a factor too, I think. Usually games try to keep it up with updates but it's always a loosing race against how fast players consume new content.

MagicManICT wrote:What the other guys DON'T do is reset the world.

Unless it's a generated world. I don't know any _M_MO in a classical sense which uses it, but multiplayer games with procedural maps tend to rely on the fact that it's generated as part of their replay-ability.
Too old to rock-n-roll, too young to die.
Hrenli

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:56 pm

Hrenli wrote:Unless it's a generated world. I don't know any _M_MO in a classical sense which uses it, but multiplayer games with procedural maps tend to rely on the fact that it's generated as part of their replay-ability.

Games with non-persistent character development... and there's too many to name. Primarily, these aren't "massively," as in there's a limited player count (number in dozens, maybe a hundred on the top end; compare to even early UO or Everquest, which could hose a couple thousand players on a server simultaneously--worth noting that about 100-150 players were the max in a given zone before the server lagged up). The lines have blurred on this over the last decade, though, where you have simplified character progression in a lot of games that facilitates world resets on a more frequent basis.

Hrenli wrote:It's not only about attention span. There are two categories of game content: provided by game mechanics and player driven.

But does it matter? Make the game too long, or not interesting, and players still get bored with it.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Hrenli » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:21 pm

MagicManICT wrote:But does it matter? Make the game too long, or not interesting, and players still get bored with it.

Matter or not depends on why we are asking the question in the first place. :) If we want to try to do something about it or at least to compare with different approaches - it's good to understand reasons. And while how fast player gets bored is hard to measure (because it really depends on the player and in the end any player will get bored or die) the amount of content is easier to quantify.

Edit: Just another thought. Even classic MMOs do rely on soft resets in a way. AFAIK WoW nowdays (and at least some other MMOs) is sort of supposed to be played with several characters. And we can look at every new character as a "start over". It doesn't involve a world reset, but it's a way to replay the game again.
Too old to rock-n-roll, too young to die.
Hrenli

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:50 pm

Hrenli wrote:Matter or not depends on why we are asking the question in the first place.

"Why do you get bored with the game?" is a perfectly vaild question to ask of any player. You ask this, though, not to try to do something about it, but to try to badger the devs into making a game they have no interest in.

Hrenli wrote:Edit: Just another thought. Even classic MMOs do rely on soft resets in a way. AFAIK WoW nowdays (and at least some other MMOs) is sort of supposed to be played with several characters, but I think I have a picture not too far from reality).

Not even sure where you're getting this from, and you're trying to stretch to come to a conclusion. "Many characters" have been a part of RPGs since the pen and paper days. Even playing EQ back shortly after launch, I had a few raid ready characters because sometimes a tank or healer couldn't show up, or we just had too many wizards and needed another melee dps. This is in no way a soft reset because my characters are still persistent from the time I make them. I can pull them out and use them at any time without needing to gear up again (unless I haven't played them since middle of two expansions ago, but even then, I just pick up where I left off).
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Granger » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:10 pm

I think games where the players are unable to actually modify the world (like WoW, where stuff like Haven terraforming or free building dosn't exist) have it way easier as the map is effectively a static backdrop for spawning mobs that wait to be slaughtered by the players. Such concepts don't need a world reset - but need to have enough drains for the stuff that falls out of the mobs... and an upper limit to character/gear development so slaughtering stuff keeps being a challenge (=fun).
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby bladeking230 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:29 am

Why not make a new server? Or a few. Get some more publicity out for the game. Haven and hearth is a small unknown game for a lot of people. With a bit more advertising or even just putting it on the steam store.. would be something to gain many more players.. I think it would be nice to be able to run my own private server of haven and have my own world where I can make semi public. But if not. Having a few world's hosted through a few servers might be fun. Worth a thought? Imo
bladeking230

Postby GaraDasha » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:15 pm

bladeking230 wrote:Why not make a new server? Or a few. Get some more publicity out for the game. Haven and hearth is a small unknown game for a lot of people. With a bit more advertising or even just putting it on the steam store.. would be something to gain many more players.. I think it would be nice to be able to run my own private server of haven and have my own world where I can make semi public. But if not. Having a few world's hosted through a few servers might be fun. Worth a thought? Imo

If you really think making a new server, or giving you your own server will matter, im sad for you mate. Because the problem discussed here has nothing to do with it.

Plus, having few worlds atm wont help it either because it has nothing to do with it lol... Wth do you think will happen if there will be 10 servers online atm after 2 years? All of them will be just like the existing one atm...
GaraDasha

Postby Undercio » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:15 pm

bladeking230 wrote:Why not make a new server? Or a few. Get some more publicity out for the game. Haven and hearth is a small unknown game for a lot of people. With a bit more advertising or even just putting it on the steam store.. would be something to gain many more players.. I think it would be nice to be able to run my own private server of haven and have my own world where I can make semi public. But if not. Having a few world's hosted through a few servers might be fun. Worth a thought? Imo

I doubt u know what ure talking about... actually ure asking for server source code just like that for free? ... This game is HUGE amount of data to process for every player. There are many server-based things that prevents from cheating (like seeing curiosities or not). Server skips unpopulated areas with some events (im only guessing tho, but getting tea from a teabush - its faster to plant new one than waiting old one to replenish its leaves for example)... well, if ure after helping in development ask devs if u can help with server side hardware options ... code is getting better year by year, it crashes really like atleast 10 times less it used to crash in old haven. Game is getting better, too complicated at few things as for me, but manageable. as PC player id rly like some non-java client, well if i have time and will i may port it to unity or unreal engine someday (hardly possible atm tho).
Undercio

Postby bladeking230 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:57 pm

GaraDasha wrote:

If you really think making a new server, or giving you your own server will matter, im sad for you mate. Because the problem discussed here has nothing to do with it.

Plus, having few worlds atm wont help it either because it has nothing to do with it lol... Wth do you think will happen if there will be 10 servers online atm after 2 years? All of them will be just like the existing one atm...

All I'm saying is having my own server for the game would be cool would it not? Don't get me wrong. Love the game being a single worth with a butt load of people on it. And I'm happy with the server. Just saying it would be fun to have your own server which you could do stuff on.
bladeking230

Postby MagicManICT » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:00 am

Learn to code, make your own game, and voila! your own game server!!

There are MUDS out there that you can set up and run on your own, too, some with graphical interfaces available.
MagicManICT

PreviousNext

Return to Misc.