Re: The only world reset/wipe requests/discussion topic

Postby Nightdawg » Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:06 pm

I said this 3 years ago and still say it now:
I would play a single player version of hnh and I would return to play on the pvp server every time the world wipes.

But sadly we won't see it :(
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby Okocim » Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:21 pm

Granger wrote:Same issues as always:

First some unsuspecting newbies come to play farmville, the usual suspects treat them as human-shaped MOBs to slaughter, world dies soonafter.

Then the now weathered ex-newbies that didn't ran away appalled but still want to play farmville ask for PvE server and the usual suspects come up with all kinds of bullshit against it, because they perfectly know that with a PvE server the density of their prefered MOBs to slaughter would be abysmal.

I don't believe that killing is the main reason for the worlds to lose population and die. Those cases are simply loudest, when ppl simply get bored they don't go to forums to complain about it, but when they get raided or killed they have something to be angry and write on forum about. Many of them actually keep playing or take a short break before coming back.

Haven world is somewhat designed for pvp and dramas like that.
PvE servers would have to overcome a lot of issues.
Not being able to kill doesn't mean there will be no griefing.
Resources would be first come first serve, so new players would have absolutely no access to quality nodes.
There is already little to hold the economy of the game running after few months, it would be even worse on pve servers.

I can keep going but will still call all of it bullshit anyways.
Well there are ways to address some of those issues, but it would require a lot of work, almost making a second game.

On the other hand one thing I have to disagree with is that ppl would get bored quicker on pve server than on pvp one. tbh I got curious about those claims and did some research, what I found is that in games where focus on pvp is similar to haven split seem to be 50/50.
Okocim

Postby vatas » Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:49 pm

I threatened to quit forever all the way back in w7 after I got raided/griefed because I didn't know that party members have free access to each other's claims. (Party Permissions toggle didn't exist back then.)

He stole a steel sword and couple of pearls, which would've been alright trade for that knowledge, but he also bashed most of my CBs.

The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Includes how to escape/minimize risk of getting killed.)
vatas

Postby jock » Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:30 pm

Okocim wrote:
Granger wrote:Same issues as always:

First some unsuspecting newbies come to play farmville, the usual suspects treat them as human-shaped MOBs to slaughter, world dies soonafter.

Then the now weathered ex-newbies that didn't ran away appalled but still want to play farmville ask for PvE server and the usual suspects come up with all kinds of bullshit against it, because they perfectly know that with a PvE server the density of their prefered MOBs to slaughter would be abysmal.

I don't believe that killing is the main reason for the worlds to lose population and die. Those cases are simply loudest, when ppl simply get bored they don't go to forums to complain about it, but when they get raided or killed they have something to be angry and write on forum about. Many of them actually keep playing or take a short break before coming back.

Haven world is somewhat designed for pvp and dramas like that.
PvE servers would have to overcome a lot of issues.
Not being able to kill doesn't mean there will be no griefing.
Resources would be first come first serve, so new players would have absolutely no access to quality nodes.
There is already little to hold the economy of the game running after few months, it would be even worse on pve servers.

I can keep going but will still call all of it bullshit anyways.
Well there are ways to address some of those issues, but it would require a lot of work, almost making a second game.

On the other hand one thing I have to disagree with is that ppl would get bored quicker on pve server than on pvp one. tbh I got curious about those claims and did some research, what I found is that in games where focus on pvp is similar to haven split seem to be 50/50.

I think the biggest reason for the population decline is the game is heavily front-loaded. Everything in the world is maxed quality on launch, after that you just raise some trees and carrots. Find a good location for x quality of stuff... cool sorted forever. THen you rush credo and max that out asap, rush round or bot timers to grab all the global resources need to get deeper in the mine and then quality just keep ramping quickly with no real roadblocks or progression outside studying some curios or stuffing food down your gob.
jock

Postby Clemins » Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:39 pm

Granger wrote:Then the now weathered ex-newbies that didn't ran away appalled but still want to play farmville ask for PvE server and the usual suspects come up with all kinds of bullshit against it, because they perfectly know that with a PvE server the density of their prefered MOBs to slaughter would be abysmal.

Why is it that people get so mad about pvp/death in Haven? It's not a hidden mechanic and it's not unintended. Do new sprucecaps just see a picture of wheat in haven and jump right to the "oh, a MMO Farmville!"? When people tell their friends about haven, do they purposely leave out the pvp/griefing aspect from their explanation of the game? Can the average new user distinguish pixels from real life? It's genuinely something that confuses me about this playerbase. Even without PVP in haven, there are countless of ways to fuck with people.
Okocim says it best:
Okocim wrote:Not being able to kill doesn't mean there will be no griefing.

Dieing is not nearly as impactful as it used to be, items can be replaced, walls can be repaired.
I mean this genuinely, even to those who don't want to fight : Take 5 minutes and read this
Clemins

Postby DreadKatak » Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:42 pm

I don't care for combat/PVP, and I rarely encounter other players in general, but I'll be damned if I would play on a PVE-only server. It is the threat of conflict that makes the game exciting. Most encounters end up being someone leaving a wolverine corpse on your doorstep while you are offline anyway. I did used to care about the next wipe and it is still exciting to think of the fresh start, but I no longer refuse to play while waiting for it. The play is much the same now as in any late game world, so you may as well play if you want to play. You're going to be amped for the next wipe even if it happens one month after you start anyway.
DreadKatak

Postby SnuggleSnail » Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:11 am

vanilla client doesn't have a drink keybind, and there aren't any feature rich clients using new render
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby DoctorCookie » Fri Jul 15, 2022 5:05 am

pawnchito wrote:
jock wrote:
avros008 wrote:Let us have our own worlds.

The genuine should look at how much it would cost to host for players, I think they would be shocked at how much this would increase the longevity of worlds and how the split will make multiple player communities flourish on their own worlds. It would be wise for businesses with the current limitations of the server for player numbers and could be a good earner if only verified & subbed players could enter a hosted world.

Without the threat of conflict wouldnt people get tired of raising carrot q endlessly?

He said "let us have/host our own worlds," not "let us have a seperate pve server." Allowing hosting with with verified and subbed players would not mean no pvp. It means more pvp for those that really want pvp.
DoctorCookie

Postby jock » Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:40 pm

jock wrote:
avros008 wrote:Let us have our own worlds.

The genuine should look at how much it would cost to host for players, I think they would be shocked at how much this would increase the longevity of worlds and how the split will make multiple player communities flourish on their own worlds. It would be wise for businesses with the current limitations of the server for player numbers and could be a good earner if only verified & subbed players could enter a hosted world.

Without the threat of conflict wouldnt people get tired of raising carrot q endlessly?[/quote]

DoctorCookie wrote:He said "let us have/host our own worlds," not "let us have a seperate pve server." Allowing hosting with with verified and subbed players would not mean no pvp. It means more pvp for those that really want pvp.

Also, note that the hard limit for the sever is between 1500 - 2000 players without a drastic rewrite of the server code. With the hosted world, we are not limited to 1 world worth of players with a much much lower work required. Plus this would have the advantage of hosted worlds would be evolved round by specific player groups with similar play styles, I even expect worlds would generate agreed-on world-hosted rules for how they should operate. Including I expect fair PVP rules such as ones that are less about noob killing and more engaged with realm/village conflict.
jock

Postby pawnchito » Sat Jul 16, 2022 5:40 pm

jock wrote:Plus this would have the advantage of hosted worlds would be evolved round by specific player groups with similar play styles, I even expect worlds would generate agreed-on world-hosted rules for how they should operate. Including I expect fair PVP rules such as ones that are less about noob killing and more engaged with realm/village conflict.

The internet being the internet though, people will show up to grief and we end up with the same model as we do now with extra steps. Or the system would be closed to a personal group of friends and it becomes a shard group of personal servers and an official server. The idea is cool and Id play the shit out of a private world but there's a few issues that could affect the overall health of the game.
pawnchito

PreviousNext

Return to Misc.