Re: The only world reset/wipe requests/discussion topic

Postby begem0t23 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:14 pm

I think world size should be much greater. Now and here is too closely for each other players. When was wipe 12's we going by boat during two days straight to North to finding place where we can be alone. But on the "End of the World" already was big City and other places was full of traces of human activity.
I think world size should be 2x.
begem0t23

Postby Kamekono » Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:54 pm

Every single time people complain about the same things. Instead of simply resetting, they should also address some of those issues.
Let's see a few:
Vets advantage over new characters

This is a non-issue. A vet has to constantly play to keep on top, or they fall behind. A new player has a much faster progress curve, since they don't need to raise quality from scratch. Between scavenging and trading, you can get some pretty nice things in a matter of days, stuff that would take months to get on your own.

Ruins everywhere

Seeing ruins everywhere, while fun for scavenging, makes the world feel old and abandoned. New players often look for wild areas, where you can't see traces of other settlements, which becomes almost impossible at this point.
I see two possible fixes: much faster decay, or an expanding map.
- Faster decay would mean that claims would go down after just a few days of inactivity, and once they fall everything would decay in a week or so (including pavements and buildings). This would also require for terrain to regenerate to its former status, including trees, boulders, and so on. Only then it would look like a fresh area, and not some abandoned place.
- Expanding map would mean that every few weeks/months, a new area of the map would be uncovered. New characters would spawn there instead of the older areas. This would give new players what they want, while adding an interesting option for vets who might want to explore new stuff or even move (maybe to make a new realm).

Claimed resources

Old issue, hard to fix. The only way I can think of would be preventing claims (including vclaim) to cover it AND adding a buffer area around it that prevents people from building a small palisade to close them off (also, I wouldn't allow for hf in that area, but that's another issue). But I realize it's not that easy...
This is also the only "real" issue for new players, since joining now means having access to pretty much no localized resources. While some you can live without, other are crafting reagents needed for your progression.

Those are the three main issues I hear every time we talk about this. Unless they get solved, resetting the world only means giving it a few fresh months before someone start complaining about that again.
Kamekono

Postby linkfanpc » Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:45 pm

Problem 1: This world was not only not very big, but everyone spawned on central, causing a cesspool of crime to break out.

Problem 2: I also think countless ruins littering the world, blocking decent spots for settling, is really annoying, especially due to 4:

Problem 3: I really can't stand joining mid-world, because at the beginning you actual feel like you're pseudo competing, at least with your general region. This world at start i absolutely brute forced leathermaking and because the leather god of my neighborhood and opened a lot of trade within the first week, and befriended some dudes who were bruteforcing metal, so we both benefited.

Problem 4: Also, at world start you have a feeling of actual evolving and increasing your industry and quality. If i can manage higher ql flax than that village of 5 guys they'll probably give me some good wheat in exchange for my good flax. Whereas when you start mid-world, i just get the sense everything is for nought. Why farm or trade to increase my barley quality when i can probably just wander around for 10 minutes and find some q200 barley seeds? And we know that the nearby village with q600 of all crops won't care.

Solution 1: Make it a little bigger, make everyone spawn anywhere, like world 11.

Solution 2: I'm all for like 3x decay off active claims. Crops should die 10-15 days after reaching last stage. Everything else should decay faster. Except, maybe, houses. Those could be those rareish bundles of old loot.

People have brought up the idea of quality of items off claims "decaying" and lowering. Presents plenty of problems but i thought it was an interesting idea nonetheless.

Solution 3: While on the topic of dead bases being too easy to get high ql stuff from can be helped by solution 2, but...

Solution 4: ...when it comes to not being able to compete anymore, honestly i just wish world resets happened every 6-9 months. I can't see any other good solutions. But i know Jorb really likes exploring ruins and abandoned bases so i can't come up with anything good.
Waiting for something to happen? Everything is going to be okay.
jorb wrote:Hitting a "Ghejejiiwlonk" with your "Umappawoozle" for eightyfifteen points of "Sharmakookel", simply makes no sense.

W7: Semi-Hermit
W8: Semi-Hermit
W9-13: Lawspeaker of villages of myself-4 people.

There's SOMETHING behind you.
linkfanpc

Postby Enjoyment_2 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:08 pm

linkfanpc wrote:i can't come up with anything good.

so maybe just don't?
Enjoyment_2
Under curfew

Postby mvgulik » Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:48 am

Perhaps some special, NxN super-tiles, special area on the map which:
- Is completely enclosed by ocean. (seems to make sens to not put it at the world borders, but it could)
- Has a virtual border (to the rest of the world) that can only be passed in one direction by heartlings (out, not in. (or no passing))
- Can only be entered by new heartlings.
- Completely resets at regular intervals. (Everything, Land, etc. Including resident heartlings (killed/wiped instead of reset, of course).)

Might make the World reset advocates happy. (although I doubt that)
Alternatively it might be a potential interesting experimental world setup to observe players behavior. (do they keep using it (or not), and how they use it)
---
I guess technically it would be virtually the same as having two separate active worlds.
mvgulik

Postby linkfanpc » Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:35 pm

mvgulik wrote:Perhaps some special, NxN super-tiles, special area on the map which:
- Is completely enclosed by ocean. (seems to make sens to not put it at the world borders, but it could)
- Has a virtual border (to the rest of the world) that can only be passed in one direction by heartlings (out, not in. (or no passing))
- Can only be entered by new heartlings.
- Completely resets at regular intervals. (Everything, Land, etc. Including resident heartlings (killed/wiped instead of reset, of course).)

Might make the World reset advocates happy. (although I doubt that)
Alternatively it might be a potential interesting experimental world setup to observe players behavior. (do they keep using it (or not), and how they use it)
---
I guess technically it would be virtually the same as having two separate active worlds.

Same as suggesting separate more frequently reset worlds, playerbase is too small to split up at the moment.
jorb wrote:Hitting a "Ghejejiiwlonk" with your "Umappawoozle" for eightyfifteen points of "Sharmakookel", simply makes no sense.

linkfanpc

Postby mvgulik » Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:06 pm

linkfanpc wrote:
mvgulik wrote:...
---

Same as suggesting separate more frequently reset worlds, playerbase is too small to split up at the moment.

This would of course be something for a full new world start, which (so far) has attracted significant more players.
mvgulik

Postby linkfanpc » Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:43 pm

mvgulik wrote:
linkfanpc wrote:
mvgulik wrote:...
---

This would of course be something for a full new world start, which (so far) has attracted significant more players.

The problem is that would take up a lot of dev time and work when it's a total gamble.

Best case scenario: Normal world with normal players that stick around 1 year in stays at 90-150 players by 1 year, and the frequently reset world gains 90-150 players that would have otherwise quit, doubling active playerbase 1 year in. Now we got 200-300 players.

Worse case scenario: Worlds get split up, playerbase gets split in half, there's only 40-70 players in normal and occasional reset world each. No increase in playerbase. Fast forward through months, players get annoyed that nobody's playing, start to leave, now we only have 20-50 in each world, continues to dwindle like that until game dies.

Pretty sure Salem did something like this, and we all know it went the latter way.

linkfanpc

Postby Jalpha » Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:16 pm

The decline of Salem was more complicated than that and took place over a longer time period. Initially all but a handful of players abandoned the more established server and joined the new server. I had stopped playing the game by the time the original server pop dipped into the single digits so if there were any resets after this I am ignorant of those details.

Anyway the cycle I witnessed (admittedly only once) resembled Rusts patterns of server activity. Food for thought. Interesting parallel to the old multiple servers suggestions in the past which have been based around PvP vs non-PvP.
Laying flat.
Jalpha
Under curfew

Postby ctopolon4 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:08 am

needs to add NPC players to trade on markets and fight on meteor, and work on your farms insteads bots...
needs NPC to replace dropped players with credos, like strider blacksmith herder. (to not look new herder when there 80ppl online or not do herder yourself when the villager has left the game)
also needs global NPC market where you can sold goods from you credo\gameplay (pearls,food,ingridients) and buy goods from other credos you dont have and dont wanna do (anyway you will not have time to do everything even you have 10 accounts with all credos done) [needs place to sell useless things instead dropping them on the ground]
or somehow increase the numbers of daily newborn and dropped (fix core problems like tedium, bugs, bots, chatting&education (prepayed global chat from snail sucks))
mb finally release the game, finally stop beta and fix all old bugs. and make some promotion and produce the game on steam or other platform with target audience
ctopolon4

PreviousNext

Return to Misc.