Hat "collectors"

Forum for discussing in game politics, village relations and matters of justice.

Re: Hat "collectors"

Postby terechgracz » Thu May 23, 2024 3:34 pm

just give them your spruce cap
terechgracz

Postby valeriesusanne » Thu May 23, 2024 5:01 pm

Ha ha! Wow, a lot of responses here! Cool beans :)
I tend to be a little wordy, and if feels like my actual message got lost in that shuffle. So let me reiterate:

1) I am perfectly aware of how the game works, ei, asshole-ery, so enough with the fucking lectures

2) I was unaware that an item purchased outside of game play and ADVERTISED AS PERMANENT AND RETRIEVABLE IF STOLEN
could indeed be transferred in-game ("stolen" "given" whatthefuckever) until a thug threatening my avatar educated me.

3) Forgive me for insisting on full disclosure of what I'm purchasing with real money in an ONLINE STORE. Forget the fucking game. That has nothing to do with the FUCKING GAME.

4) And, Haven? Haven? Really? What a joke. (unless the name IS a joke? ok then, got it.)

Thanks for humoring me guys. This old lady enjoys a little friendly discord ;)
valeriesusanne

Postby TheServant » Thu May 23, 2024 5:05 pm

valeriesusanne wrote:Ha ha! Wow, a lot of responses here! Cool beans :)
I tend to be a little wordy, and if feels like my actual message got lost in that shuffle. So let me reiterate:

1) I am perfectly aware of how the game works, ei, asshole-ery, so enough with the fucking lectures

2) I was unaware that an item purchased outside of game play and ADVERTISED AS PERMANENT AND RETRIEVABLE IF STOLEN
could indeed be transferred in-game ("stolen" "given" whatthefuckever) until a thug threatening my avatar educated me.

3) Forgive me for insisting on full disclosure of what I'm purchasing with real money in an ONLINE STORE. Forget the fucking game. That has nothing to do with the FUCKING GAME.

4) And, Haven? Haven? Really? What a joke. (unless the name IS a joke? ok then, got it.)

Just perceive the people who do this like they are, waste 24/7 their life to beg for 10usd in a ded game. Read guide thats pinned in wiki main page about basic combat and defending your base and you'll be fine
Aristotle wrote:Therefore it is fitting for the women to be married at about the age of eighteen and the men at thirty-seven or a little before — for that will give long enough for the union to take place with their bodily vigor at its prime, and for it to arrive with a convenient coincidence of dates at the time when procreation ceases.
TheServant

Postby Faravidus » Thu May 23, 2024 5:42 pm

valeriesusanne wrote:Ha ha! Wow, a lot of responses here! Cool beans :)

you should join the official discord, there's a lot of more ppl hanging out there than on this dead forum board 8-) They would love to have this debate tbh.
JOIN THE OFFICIAL H&H DISCORD TODAY
Formerly Gabula/Alubag ~ Playing since W4 ~ faravid88 on Discord ~ https://steamcommunity.com/id/faravid88
Faravidus

Postby Sora3113 » Fri May 24, 2024 10:57 am

valeriesusanne wrote:If any mods or the devs monitor this thread, this is for you

I'm sure you're aware of the jackasses who go around attacking hat-wearing players under the guise of "collecting" hats by making "deals."
("Give me your hat and I won't kill/maim you" is not a deal; it's affectionately known as armed robbery)
Hats are not in-game acquired objects that can be replaced. They are unique objects PURCHASED outside the game with REAL CURRENCY
Personally, I like this set up, as it is a way I can afford to support the devs. I cannot afford to round out some asshole's "collection"

I'm hard pressed to imagine that many hat purchasers are thinking about "gifting" their hats.
I propose that hats be made permanently and irrevocably attached to the purchaser, and not be in any way transferable in-game.
If someone wants to "gift" a hat, make it so that transaction is done at point of purchase, outside of game-play.
This will eliminate in-game "collecting" while maintaining in-game asshole-ery. (I can see me being revenge-mauled any day now)

Look at it this way: every hat that is "collected" in-game is a hat not being purchased in your store! Make them buy their own damn hats!

I play on 2 accounts at the same time (hunter and farmer, crafter and miner, etc.)
That is, according to your logic, if I want to change the hat from one of my accounts to another, I need to buy it again? Or buy everything in 2-3-5 copies? I've never even heard of a dumber thing
Sora3113

Postby TraxayaNoNelubya » Fri May 24, 2024 10:59 am

https://prnt.sc/x8-FW0hH70U- You always choose a death, chill
TraxayaNoNelubya

Postby Executioner » Sat May 25, 2024 12:51 am

the alternative to give me your hat or die is just die and for the people willing to give up their hat I presume they considered that the less bad option so this thread is just making things worse for hermits
Executioner

Postby meabeab » Sun May 26, 2024 4:42 am

meabeab

Recycled posts for a recycled topic (anyone read subject lin

Postby vatas » Sun May 26, 2024 8:53 am

vatas wrote:Well since this thread was already necro'd by a bot...

Main concern I have with "hat or die" is that it largely relies on the same pressure tactic often used by scammers, meant to bypass your critical thinking and instead act emotionally.

One example of this is someone calling you, claiming they are from IRS (US tax authority) and saying that you will go to jail for tax evasion unless you pay right now. If you give this some serious thought, you should come to the conclusion that IRS probably doesn't extort money from people -well they don't do that over the phone. However, the scam relies on your brain instantly flicking to "I don't want to go to jail" and paying up.

Bit unlikely but absolute worst case scenario: someone spawns in, plays few hours. Slowly getting hang on things and thinking this game could be really fun. Then someone appears in their camp and tells them that unless they cough up 100 dollar hat, they will be killed.

Of course, this is ludicrous and the reasonable response would be to disconnect from the game and start a new character. But this game is marketed as mmoRPG! Aren't you supposed to get attached to the character you are playing? Maybe 100 dollars is too ludicrous and most people wouldn't pay, but maybe it's used as starting point and when extortioner agrees to take 15 dollar hat instead, it feels like a great deal.

Until extortioner leaves and extorted realizes they just paid 15 dollars to not lose 3 hours of progress, most of which was gaining game knowledge that would transfer to new character. They feel completely ripped off and quit the game entirely.

SnuggleSnail wrote:Every instance of buyer's remorse is a scam, and scamming isn't allowed. A runescape style removal of free trade would be an ideal solution.

Source

While Snail's comment may have "strawman" -energy, it is also quite possibly a case of "Reductio ad absurdum" which is considered a much more valid argument.

Also since his example is based on RuneScape, it is important context to note that Jagex did not remove Wilderness and free trade to "protect the newbs", but because of RMT and botting. These activities were often fuelled by stolen credit cards.* Jagex not only had to constantly handle chargebacks, but also faced a real risk of being blacklisted as a "high-risk vendor."

*To my knowledge, there are separate cottage industries for "steal credit card information and just sell it on black market" and "just buy credit card information from black market and use it to make money" because former is less risky and latter requires some specific skills or a business to "launder" the money. In the case of RuneScape, you use "dirty" money to pay for bot subscriptions and receive "clean" money from people who buy RS gold/items from you.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Includes how to escape/minimize risk of getting killed.)
vatas

Postby Valten21 » Sun May 26, 2024 6:58 pm

Hard to see the issue here, sounds to me like there's a bunch of unemployed stay at home sons you can exploit with coffee money
You may have foiled the plans of BAD-EVIL this time, but there is no rest for the wicked.
Valten21

Previous

Return to The Moot