Overcrowding

Forum for discussing in game politics, village relations and matters of justice.

Overcrowding

Postby cecil01 » Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:32 pm

After two days of boating around in a dugout, i settled in a region that seemed sparsely populated.
I was very wrong.
I go do a tree quest, i find another claim. I go fish, and boats pass by constantly. I go forage, and i meet more fellow hearthlings also running after squirrels. I go raid an ant hill, and i find more unpaved small settlements. I explore a bit more and with every uncovered map tile i find more claims.
Luckily, other than many scents of trespassing, assault, and battery, the area seems mostly peaceful, but i fear things will get very funny once everyone starts competing for whatever meager metals there are in the region.
cecil01

Re: Overcrowding

Postby KwonChiMin » Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:36 pm

Luckily, other than many scents of trespassing, theft, assault, battery and murder the area seems mostly peaceful.

the best description of HnH ever
KwonChiMin

Postby Reiber » Wed Oct 18, 2023 2:19 am

its not even an geografical problem. is the map smaller? more ocean? does the volcano take up so much living space?
so far it seems all continents are packed, and easily traversable by good for nothing crap thingwalls, one jump and you are over,
but no matter where i went, people live practicably door on door, setteling right on top of each other,
you can recognize aggressive villages by there being less than 12 hermits living in an minimap radius around them.
Reiber

Postby TheServant » Wed Oct 18, 2023 2:23 am

Strange enough, i didn't feel this overcrowding at all. My team got raided one time and that's it, whirlpool to outside main continent and no more problems. Im yet to face danger!
Aristotle wrote:Therefore it is fitting for the women to be married at about the age of eighteen and the men at thirty-seven or a little before — for that will give long enough for the union to take place with their bodily vigor at its prime, and for it to arrive with a convenient coincidence of dates at the time when procreation ceases.
TheServant

Postby VDZ » Wed Oct 18, 2023 2:43 am

I think everybody spawned near the center of the central continent. There are places where it's less crowded, even on the central continent.
VDZ

Postby feeder942 » Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:03 pm

yeah, completely overcrowded. I can't be bothered traveling for irl days just to find a spot to get started.
feeder942

Postby animary » Fri Oct 20, 2023 3:26 am

I've decided to break for a week or so and see if things settle a bit. I've built three camps, far apart, with pottery kilns, drying racks, table and chair, fireplace, etc.; fill the racks with hides, pots firing in the kiln, couple of crates of food and curios, food on table. Log in the next day and everything is stolen, pots removed from kiln and left on ground. Found an abandoned camp in a cave, moved in, filled the racks, filled the kiln, filled the crates, ... logged in next morning and all gone, they even emptied the water barrel. Trying to play like this is just a waste of time.

This time in last world I had a claim up, with cabin, kiln, racks, tanning vats, oven, rowboat, small farm (with bee hives); and no one ever bothered me. In fact, through the last three worlds the only thing stolen from me was a rowboat. In this world i can't even get a piece of leather.
animary

Postby VDZ » Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:13 am

animary wrote:Found an abandoned camp in a cave, moved in, filled the racks, filled the kiln, filled the crates, ... logged in next morning and all gone, they even emptied the water barrel.

Did it ever occur to you the camp may have been abandoned for a good reason?

animary wrote:This time in last world I had a [...] small farm (with bee hives)

Bee hives, plural even? That seems a bit unlikely to me. By now you'd have had one crop cycle, and straw was crop-only until this world.
VDZ

Postby trinh » Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:25 am

There is/was wild straw, at least I harvested some this world, now I hardly see any wild crops.

For the crowd, I feel the same, 2 worlds back when you travel for few (4-5h) you could settle in location with close to no neighbours and have decent week without seeing anyone around. Now if you out to forage it's 100% chance you meet at least 3 other hearthlings, on river even more. meh for hermit lifestyle.
trinh

Return to The Moot