Brodgar

[ARCHIVE FOR WORLDS 1&2]Forum for discussing in game politics, village relations and matters of justice.

Brodgar

Postby Yolan » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:47 pm

Suggestion:

In the next world, we (by which I mean, those interested parties), build a city as close to the RoB as possible, with careful attention paid to matters of security.

Function:

1) Welcoming home for new players to move in to initially.
2) A place to locate a major trading market, designated warehouses (walls where you keep the key), and even a bank? (down in a maze in a mine?)
3) A spot to have a 'hall of chieftans'. Get chiefs of the major friendly villages/towns of the world to meet there, nut out some kind of political system (an alliance? a shared legal code? an empire?? Democratic elections?)
Yolan

Re: Brodgar

Postby End » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:52 pm

That would be awesome if it works out, maybe you could even have a player run auction house!
End

Postby lazerdix » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:33 pm

I was actually going to set up a "LAZERINN AND TRADE" along a major crossroads but I decided that was a colossal waste of time because the map would be reset soon and I needed to grind lp like a motherfucker.

maybe next time.
lazerdix

Postby Potjeh » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:30 pm

Building shit is actually one of the best ways to get LP, so you should go for it. I think the game is just about to reach sufficient population density for such projects to be viable.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby Laremere » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:07 pm

I think for such a town to be viable, things would need to be divided into relatively large blocks with 5 wide roads in between. (it has to be at least five to account for the space required between claims)

I would love to help with such a thing. Mainly my like is the possibility of a market where people from all different towns come to buy and sell things. Each town should be able to have one block for themselves to set up a store room.
Laremere

Postby Jackard » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:21 pm

Laremere wrote:with 5 wide roads in between. (it has to be at least five to account for the space required between claims)

3 stones wide
1 plowed for each side
Jackard

Postby Erik_the_Blue » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:23 pm

If it's a busy trade community, you'd want the roads wide enough to facilitate two carts going in opposite directions. Five-wide roads would be sufficient, but you might want them wider just to make things less of a hassle (maybe someone should experiment when the cart bounding box fix is implemented), and wider still if you want roadside flax.

As for the size of large blocks, it's probably best to agree on a standard size now rather than fight about it in New Brodgar. Assuming these are used only for storage purposes (production is off-site), what would be an acceptable interior space? I don't really have a good perspective on this, but couldn't a 10x10 space comfortably hold a couple carts, dozens of chests, and still have room for people to move around?

There's also the issue of how the spaces should be alloted. Should communities be responsible for building their own space conforming to standards, or should a central authority build them and then rent/sell them?

What about security? Collective? Centralized?

There're lots of questions about how this should be implemented, but the more that are answered before the reset, the more likely something will develop.
Erik_the_Blue

Postby lazerdix » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:49 pm

obviously this sort of thing is best handled via a privatized owner who then sorts it out among parties.

unless you guys can all come to some sort of conclusion lolz.
lazerdix

Postby PhaedrothSP » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:43 pm

I was actually thinking it might be nice to have an actual city/town made around the RoB by the devs for the map reset, maybe throw in some NPCs like the one in the Inn for tutorial purposes. Although, that idea's ...well kinda crazy.
What I would like to see though, with this player made city, would be a coin based economy. Sure it might be a while before people even work up enough metal to make the coins, but I think it would be neat.
Miners/Smiths would trade metal/coins for say, meat, beer, coal, you get the idea. The person using that would in turn, in this case lets use a farmer, give the coins to farm hands in exchange for harvesting/planting/etc. Those farm hands could use the coins for food from a hunter, and the hunter could exchange the coins with a smith for some armor. ...Bah..I need to stop thinking about this stuff for a little.
PhaedrothSP

Postby Delamore » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:51 pm

I'd like to see no NPCS , and restrict the tutorial to instanced areas you can go through before playing.
NPCs are a slippery slope towards less sandbox like play.
Delamore

Next

Return to [ARCHIVE]In Congress Assembled