Thief Hunting

[ARCHIVE FOR WORLDS 1&2]Forum for discussing in game politics, village relations and matters of justice.

Re: Thief Hunting

Postby Wheat » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:54 am

How much stealing is enough before it is reasonable to hearth summon and kill a thief? Netto cleaned out my friend's cheesemaking operation, as well as getting nuggets, all the stockpiled food etc.

I assume "It's only food and nuggets," so that doesn't justify killing him?

It isn't so much the stealing that my friend minded as dumping all her baskets and cutting trees for no reason.
Wheat

Postby kedrigh » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:02 am

Flocke wrote:i found some time and i tracked him, but "the perpetrator is not logged in" for a few days now.
the thief seems to be Netto!

not speaking for all codexians here, but i for one would welcome it if you could kill him.
we swore him in when he seemed a nice enough guy, but he has been nothing but trouble, stealing all over the place, leaving scents, and even going as far as bringing an armed angry mob to our gates.
we kindly asked him to stop, again and again, but he would not listen to reason, and we are unable to exile him, as he seems to hardly be on.
I have rules. I never eat children.
kedrigh

Postby sabinati » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:49 am

well next time you should allow the angry mob access to his hearthfire. problem solved.
sabinati

Postby Nero » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:19 am

My opinion is that stealing a boat is far and away the least heinous of crimes. As long as they're on the water they're almost public property. I feel this way because:

I can agree with a lot of this. I'm not arguing that a boat is a big deal, but if someone is willing to jack your boat without so much as leaving a runestone or parchment that says they're borrowing it I can assume they're willing to take anything without any remorse.

How much stealing is enough before it is reasonable to hearth summon and kill a thief

IMO you need to cut the bud while it's still young. You let them get away with your shit and then they use it to the advantage, the next thing you know they come back stronger and take even MORE. Or worse, KILL you. I think killing thieves will set a pretty good precedent. In the times of Vlad the Impaler you could leave a bag of gold out in town square and no one would ever take it, because anyone who even thought about it need only look at the impaled man right above the bag that was left as a warning to others.
Nero

Postby Cain » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:36 am

I really don't understand why people keep spouting off about killing thieves before they come back and OMG STEEAL EVEYTHING I OWNW OMG OMG OMG!!! THERE GONNA KILLLL ME OH NOZZZ!! The dude took a boat.... It's like calling marijuana a gateway drug. Yes the people who break in and steal all your metal/silk/hard earned stuff also "steal" boats, but it's not like they became hardcore raiders because they "got away with" stealing boats. For instance: you'd probably think I steal boats. I'll readily admit that I often use boats that I didn't build myself. Granted I don't take boats off peoples claims, or even out of obviously used docks, but if I'm hiking through the woods with a bunch of bear meat and come across a boat on the shore I have no qualms about throwing my stuff in some wicker baskets and sailing away at four times the speed I approached.

The original poster has added the information that the guy left theft scents by looking in his baskets. That is completely unacceptable, but even that shouldn't really warrant murder. Just track the guy and thell him he was completely out of line, and exact some form of compensation if you feel that's necessary. Also, if you murder someone over something like that you will undoubtedly be killed yourself.
I once dreamt of crafting beautiful thane's rings... then I discovered Big Bear Bangers. Now I smash beautiful things.
Cain

Postby kedrigh » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:47 am

Cain wrote:Just track the guy and thell him he was completely out of line, and exact some form of compensation if you feel that's necessary. Also, if you murder someone over something like that you will undoubtedly be killed yourself.

netto steals everything he comes across, whether it is on a claim or not. he stole a friggin anvil for no particular reason.
I have rules. I never eat children.
kedrigh

Postby Cain » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:54 am

kedrigh wrote:
Cain wrote:Just track the guy and thell him he was completely out of line, and exact some form of compensation if you feel that's necessary. Also, if you murder someone over something like that you will undoubtedly be killed yourself.

netto steals everything he comes across, whether it is on a claim or not. he stole a friggin anvil for no particular reason.

....go ahead, kill him. This thread is about some guy who stole a boat.
I once dreamt of crafting beautiful thane's rings... then I discovered Big Bear Bangers. Now I smash beautiful things.
Cain

Postby sabinati » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:55 am

apparently, that guy was the world's most famous thief, netto.
sabinati

Postby Vallendigham » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:11 pm

This thread is a sad thread.

A prolific thief who can't manage to steal anything of value to himself, and often to others.

Offering scents to "rangers" with the intent that the thief be killed an uninvolved party.

Just the idea that rangers are uniformly predictable, bloodthirsty, amoral forces.
Vallendigham

Postby Potjeh » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:27 pm

:roll:
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

PreviousNext

Return to [ARCHIVE]In Congress Assembled