Guild of Fisherman

[ARCHIVE FOR WORLDS 1&2]Forum for discussing in game politics, village relations and matters of justice.

Guild of Fisherman

Postby Chakravanti » Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:16 am

I've been considering forming something along these lines. The objective would simply be to collaborate all information about fishing between people that fish regularly.

Participants would be expected to document every detail of their fishing expeditions. Spreadsheets would be nice and Shobari has proven efficient with those so I may ask him to whip us up a standard template for Documentation. Time of day, moon phase, location (River, lake, how deep, etc.), bait, lures, etc.

We will compile an analyze all the data we can collect until we have enough to make definitive hypothesis which will be tested.
As an incentive, participants will be offered a variety of lures, baits and other fishing equipment in good stock and quality to experiment with at very reasonable rates as well as generous offers on all dex fishes procured. Also, as a member of the Guild you will obviously be privy to the latest up to date formulas before anyone else.

The goal of the project will be to make the results public once we have a sizable amount of definitive and tested data. Given the nature of the variables the conclusion of the project will not be a swift one but will be something that is carried on for months and even remain active in refining details after public disclosure.

I'm posting this to gauge interest. I'd like to have at least 5 serious people on-board before I elaborate and work out the details. Post if you are interested or have questions.
Well what is this that I can't see
With ice cold hands takin' hold of me
Well I am death, none can excel
-Ralph Stanley, O Death!
Chakravanti

Re: Guild of Fisherman

Postby Gauteamus » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:31 pm

Chakravanti wrote:Guild of Fishermen

Chakravanti wrote:The goal of the project will be to make the results public [...]

There is a contradiction somewhere here...
I am sort of partial to making "research" results public, I'd actually like it if, say, the cheese table was more like (assumedly) the fishing table - deterministic, but chaotic. Largely predictable, but with (in theory computable) surprises.
I'd love it if some cheese hermit out there has secretly discovered the psy-cheese (I would hate it if the goons discovered it, but would reluctantly have to admit they probably deserved it)

That said: good luck with the project, I have not been fishing enough to have anything to consider sharing.
Image<<Bottleneck>>
What if Rosa Parks had a car?
Gauteamus

Postby warrri » Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:09 pm

There arent that many different methods for cheese, its easy to try them all out at once.

We have mine, cave, cellar, indoor, (top floor), outside. Assuming there is no difference between indoor and top floor, and mine and cave, there are 16 possibilities for tier2 cheese(jorbonzola, brodgar blue etc), 64 for tier3 cheese (midnight blue, sunlight silton) (stll very easy) and 256 for tier4 cheese.
The last step is tough, but still possible for a single person. It would just take time, since tier3 cheese already takes about a week.

You can't hide recipes!
The world I love The tears I drop To be part of The wave can't stop
Ever wonder if it's all for you
The world I love The trains I hop To be part of The wave can't stop
Come and tell me when it's time to
warrri

Postby sabinati » Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:33 pm

clearly just a ploy to get a bunch of dex fish for yourself. you'll never catch up to me! :twisted:
sabinati

Postby Avu » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:08 am

I am interested in the project. Fishing is the most complex aspect of the game and every time I think I have something figured out it changes on me. We will probably need a solid mathematician to extrapolate a formula from all the data collected.
"Since all men count themselves righteous, and since
no righteous man raises his hand against the innocent,
a man need only strike another to make him evil."
Avu

Postby Potjeh » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:38 am

Here's my very much incomplete lure chart. I haven't kept strict record of everything, so even the data that is there isn't complete. I think it's pretty self-explanatory, except for the time of day thing. I count dawn from the moment the Moon touches the horizon to the moment the Sun stops touching it, and reverse for dusk. Noon and midnight are roughly equal periods centred on the highest point of Sun's and Moon's path, and the rest is the periods between those four. Do note that this division of day is a completely arbitrary decision of mine and has no correlation with when the fish actually change.
Attachments
hhfish2.PNG
hhfish2.PNG (32.1 KiB) Viewed 1877 times
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby Avu » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:56 am

Your table is nice but quite useless. Different hooks and different q levels of the items that make the fishing rod give different fish even with same bait.
"Since all men count themselves righteous, and since
no righteous man raises his hand against the innocent,
a man need only strike another to make him evil."
Avu

Postby Chakravanti » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:15 am

YEs, we will need a multi-dimensional chart. TO many factors to fit on something like this.
-Ralph Stanley, O Death!
Chakravanti

Postby Potjeh » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:33 am

OK, just conducted experiment, the time was roughly noon.

First pole: q10 pole, q9 bone hook, q29 plant fibre, q21 pinecone plug: 4 roaches
Second pole: q82 pole, q71 metal hook, q43 plant fibre, q48 pinecone plug: 1 roach, 1 brill, hook breakage interrupts experiment

Switched to silk moth and q67 bone hook on the second pole. Only had two extra silkmoths, so one try for each. Both poles caught a perch.

I can't say with certainty that quality doesn't affect type of fish you catch, but I think it's a darn good guess. I also think that type of hook doesn't play much of a role, because the results are consistent with my chart, which was mostly constructed using bone hooks. It could be that I used a metal hook when I caught the brill on the chart, but I doubt it.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby Chakravanti » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:39 am

You're wrong. You need to vary your quality more.

I think what we may be seeing is that the quality of the materials isn't what matters but the quality of the result the determines if the type of fish caught becomes different. We've seen enough to know this.
-Ralph Stanley, O Death!
Chakravanti

Next

Return to [ARCHIVE]In Congress Assembled