Codexia.

[ARCHIVE FOR WORLDS 1&2]Forum for discussing in game politics, village relations and matters of justice.

Re: Codexia.

Postby Partilk » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:38 am

Potjeh wrote:I'm pretty sure that devs prefer discovering all the griefing opportunities now rather than further down the line. Chernobylians may be a bunch of antisocial dicks, but they're performing a vital function in testing of this game.

True, but look at what's going on. I see neither Jorb nor Loftar acknowledging that this is an issue, not even tacitly through patches. I guess time will tell, as I don't know what type of schedule they have set for themselves. Yet I don't think they want to turn their game into an Eve Online-style winner-take-all sandbox -- it's a game style the Goons, on the other hand, seek to impose on all games they play. CCP (the makers of Eve) were clever enough to harness that game play of the Goons -- or at least it thought it was. I wonder if they would have had second thoughts if Band of Brothers had been killed last spring, leaving the Goons with uncontested supremacy over Eve. Lopsided politics is what killed off Shadowbane, for instance.

If Jorb and Loftar said out of hand: Here is what we want our game to be, a harsh, brutal, dog-eat-dog world, I'd know what to expect. Shadowbane, Darkfall and Eve all cultivate this. But what I'm sensing here is perhaps a situation similar to Ultima Online, where every "old schooler" waxes nostalgic over the endless possibilities of the game, and can still be lamenting the introduction of Trammel. Yet Trammel saved UO, because what most of the "old schoolers" actually enjoyed in UO fell into the category of unintended consequences. Trammel's introduction just proved that Origin wasn't willing to go that way. It's the same ambiguity which prevails here, and I'd like that settled.

The other problem I see is when Goons are masquerading as the game's biggest supporters (see here). And I will state for the record that it is the Goon presence in this game which makes me reluctant to donate any money to keep it going.
Partilk

Postby Chakravanti » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:47 am

Devs arent ignoring this problem. It's just months away from actively being developed because you're tlaking about MAJOR game mechanic revamps. Credos, new combat, new LP. Right now they're doing inventory. It's alpha with one coder.

EDIT - Although, It WOULD be nice to see some dev threads for official discussion of what is planned.
Well what is this that I can't see
With ice cold hands takin' hold of me
Well I am death, none can excel
-Ralph Stanley, O Death!
Chakravanti

Postby Potjeh » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:04 pm

The devs have said that they have plans for better village management, and for expanding social organization tools towards larger entities (towns, kingdoms, empires,...). The solution to the goon problem is banding together. However, all that this would accomplish right now is loss of all village claim benefits, because infiltrators would grief the hell out of this megavillage. That, and it would basically paint a giant bulls eye on your claim.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby Jaltos » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:52 pm

Potjeh wrote: The solution to the goon problem is banding together.

Yes please. Get all your juicy loot... materials clumped together. That is the best defense against goons. DO IT.
Jaltos

Postby Potjeh » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:06 pm

Only a fool would keep his production facilities and his stash at the same location.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby jorb » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:17 pm

Partilk wrote:
Potjeh wrote:I'm pretty sure that devs prefer discovering all the griefing opportunities now rather than further down the line. Chernobylians may be a bunch of antisocial dicks, but they're performing a vital function in testing of this game.

I see neither Jorb nor Loftar acknowledging that this is an issue, not even tacitly through patches.

It's an issue. Attacker's advantage is one of the major problems with PvP in H&H. *Obviously*, defending parties should have the advantage, but they don't.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby warrri » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:53 pm

Attackers advantage? What?????????????????????????????????????????????????ß Only if you really care about and make alts for attacking. Else your mainchar is gonna get fucked while you sleep.
The only thing preventing people ffrom running around killing everyone randomly is the DEFENDERS advantage of summoning you while youre sleeping no matter how many layers of brickwalls you have.
The world I love The tears I drop To be part of The wave can't stop
Ever wonder if it's all for you
The world I love The trains I hop To be part of The wave can't stop
Come and tell me when it's time to
warrri

Postby Caradon » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:00 pm

Partilk wrote:
Delamore wrote:Hurr you aren't taking my games SERIOUSLY MAN YOU SHOULD TAKE GAMES SUPER SERIOUSLY

I'm sure that Jorb and Loftar do. I'm also sure they don't want their game to be stillborn because a bunch of pricks from an outside forum (and notorious for their griefing behaviour) drove everyone else away before leaving themselves, out of boredom.

I think the devs merely overlook the threat, and that is exactly the goal of the goons. Whether the lower members want to believe it or not.
Trolls- Dont argue with it, Don't reason with it, Just DOMINATE! Southpark S10-E5
Caradon

Postby Caradon » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:05 pm

Partilk wrote:

True, but look at what's going on. I see neither Jorb nor Loftar acknowledging that this is an issue, not even tacitly through patches. I guess time will tell, as I don't know what type of schedule they have set for themselves. Yet I don't think they want to turn their game into an Eve Online-style winner-take-all sandbox -- it's a game style the Goons, on the other hand, seek to impose on all games they play. CCP (the makers of Eve) were clever enough to harness that game play of the Goons -- or at least it thought it was. I wonder if they would have had second thoughts if Band of Brothers had been killed last spring, leaving the Goons with uncontested supremacy over Eve. Lopsided politics is what killed off Shadowbane, for instance.

If Jorb and Loftar said out of hand: Here is what we want our game to be, a harsh, brutal, dog-eat-dog world, I'd know what to expect. Shadowbane, Darkfall and Eve all cultivate this. But what I'm sensing here is perhaps a situation similar to Ultima Online, where every "old schooler" waxes nostalgic over the endless possibilities of the game, and can still be lamenting the introduction of Trammel. Yet Trammel saved UO, because what most of the "old schoolers" actually enjoyed in UO fell into the category of unintended consequences. Trammel's introduction just proved that Origin wasn't willing to go that way. It's the same ambiguity which prevails here, and I'd like that settled.

The other problem I see is when Goons are masquerading as the game's biggest supporters (see here). And I will state for the record that it is the Goon presence in this game which makes me reluctant to donate any money to keep it going.

Lopsided politics isnt really the issue. I don't mind if the goons dominate and become a real government, but they are corrupt little children who take nothing seriously. Have fun at the expense of others without consideration, and are, despite arguing otherwise, indiscriminate in their violence towards others.

It's all whim, nothing else.
Trolls- Dont argue with it, Don't reason with it, Just DOMINATE! Southpark S10-E5
Caradon

Postby Caradon » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:15 pm

Jaltos wrote:
Potjeh wrote: The solution to the goon problem is banding together.

Yes please. Get all your juicy loot... materials clumped together. That is the best defense against goons. DO IT.

The idea is to produce just enough to develop attributes for all involved. Never to have a stash. You have enough players balancing their attributes and the goons have something to fear.

But people are too scattered.
Caradon

PreviousNext

Return to [ARCHIVE]In Congress Assembled