Novigard's Tutor Island. (OP Editted - Stone Blocks needed)

[ARCHIVE FOR WORLDS 1&2]Forum for discussing in game politics, village relations and matters of justice.

Novigard's Tutor Island. (OP Editted - Stone Blocks needed)

Postby Nogetsu » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:36 am

Greetings all. I am once was an established player who went away for a while. In my return I enter the world at Novigard and discovered what appeared to be a simple in game guide to Haven and Hearth. But in looking around it seemed unfinished. My goal is to finish this guide and make it a place for all Newbies to attend and experience the game before moving to other places in the world...

I plan to create a path for each play style to start a player up and introduce those new to the game to the basic mechanics. I have read a lot and have learned from my own mistakes in game. So I feel as someone looking at this world anew but knowledgeable of what it holds I can build this freely with as much wisdom and guidance as I can muster...

I ask for help from those who are established to lend a hand to this challenge and donate whatever they have that is of no use to them. If you own a low grade tool such as a Meat grinder or something like that, perhaps this could be donated as a gift to the construction of this guide. I do not expect this to be something that will be done, but those that feel that they can. This will be much appreciated...

The main thing that is needed is a lot of Stone Blocks to be carved into runestones. They can be delivered un-carved or carved as it is up to you who donates them to the cause. I thankyou for any assistance and I wish to become once again someone who can enjoy this game along side everyone...

PS: If you do feel that you can donate such an item to this challenge please send a message, it will be collected and place in an area as a display piece only. The request is a fools dream, but sometimes even those come true...

Needed:
Stone Blocks for Runestone Carvings. These can be delivered to Novagrad as Stone or Runestones, BUT must not be written on.

Suggestions. - I have created a small Advice corner behind Novagrad's Charterstone, It is not hard to miss as its a collection of Runestones all bundled together, At the Moment there is 5 Stones placed there with some good information, there is a four slots left to be taken for basic and simple advice. I am looking for something useful that is important that a Newbie understands. Post suggestions here and do not carve them yourself. They will just become punching bags...
So far they are as such....
Don't Buy swimming, you will drown and Permadie.
Things dropped on claims can't be retrieved. Click Buttons above minimap to see claims.
Trees don't regrow on their own, Don't cut them down without good reason.
Don't obstruct roads. Especially not with buildings and claims.
For further Information and Help. Check the forums and IRC (IRC Address)

Crop Descriptions - There are 9 crops that exist on H&H, what I am looking for is a basic discription on each crop. What they are used for, if eaten raw what FEP they give.
eg, Pumpkin. When harvested, a Pumpkin takes 4x4 Slots and when cut it gives 8 Slices and 8 Seeds.
The Slices are eaten Raw and give Low CON FEP...
The Pumpkin can Also be shaped into a Makeshift Helm...

Iron Plow and Pick for quicker path construction. These Items will be used by myself or those that help. And Will be returned or replaced if lost.

Thank you in advance...
Last edited by Nogetsu on Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:08 am, edited 6 times in total.
Nogetsu

Re: Creating a Tutor's Island. (Important - Novigrad Lawspeaker)

Postby theTrav » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:06 am

Potjeh is the lawspeaker (or one of his alts) and I think this is an excellent idea.

Put a single runestone at the charter stone, and tell the newbies to walk east along the path.

Put a fruit tree on the path, and a rune stone telling the newbies to collect 100 branches and make 20 fires, buy pottery, then continue east to the river.

By the river put a stone telling them to collect clay and make tea pots till their fingers bleed.

suggest they get plant lore -> foraging -> farming -> sewing -> baking then send em back towards the charity bin.

From there on the newbie should be able to take care of themselves or go on other paths.
theTrav

Postby sabinati » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:43 am

a quest system ^__________^
sabinati

Postby Kadol » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:56 am

I did start a tutorial path at Novigrad while I lived there, starting just beyond the village claim. The path went by a boulder and had a runestone telling about chipping stone to make an axe, went to a birch tree telling how to make a kuksa and had I think five instructional runestones. I was going to do more but was relying on someone bringing me precarved blank runestones from away. I had the idea of heading towards the water and instructing on fishing and pottery.

Within forty-eight hours the trees had been cut, the boulder had been carved and the runestones removed.

I assume this was a random griefer.

The trouble with this, I think excellent plan, is that someone needs to maintain the path, and as a noob still sorting things out and trying to keep fed, I wasn't up to it. The charity bins also need to be restocked by someone experienced who can keep dropping off flax for fishing line fibre. It was suggested that only low q fibre be left in the baskets to minimize theft from people in the linen industry, but since it doesn't seem to matter what q linen is for sale I don't think that is essential.

This is a rather major commitment. Someone who can plant trees to replace the cut ones needs to check in to restock and do repairs daily.
Kadol

Postby Potjeh » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:58 am

If you can come to Novigrad right away I can swear you in. I have a lot of work around the house, so I can only stay online for 5 minutes or so.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby Nogetsu » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:47 am

My plan is to work with what we have, I will be asking later on about the Claims that spot the region around it, asking if they could be moved for some pathing towards different routes. Say you wish to follow the Nature Path. You will learn about the different parts of what a farmer does. If you wish to follow the Industry Path, there will be a way to reach a Mine that could be donated to this cause...

I am unsure about these Traveling posts. Can anyone use them? I noticed that there is one at Novigard and I could activate it. But if say I make one that leads to a Mine can a Newbie use it if they are not part of the village its attached to???

I was thinking that the first path that all players should take to begin with is that of a Cook's. Learning how to feed oneself is more important then anything that follows. So the first path would be moving towards the river with both Mul and Apple trees flanking it. Rune explaining the difference between food and fruit. At the river, the Newb will be instructed to take fishing and learn how to fish by using the fibers and lures that had been added recently. After that they will learn about making bread and cakes and other baked goods...

After this has been learned they can choose their path of Miner or Farmer. A Hunter takes another Path that will be open to the wilderness via boat (YaY for that development)...

After following the Farmer's Path, they will learn of the different crops, their uses and where to process them. Building different items for farming needs and such. Basic instructions...

The Miner Path is to an open Mine, there they will learn about mining, how to turn ore to bar and how to use each bar for different needs, the only thing I can see wrong with this is people wishing to settle the mine itself. This Mine would be for Beginners only not for experienced players. So it would be of a Low Grade Ore, Tin perhaps, seeing as Copper is becoming the main Coin metal...

The Hunter would be ported out where there is some low but challenging Critters to fight and develop their skills, a base camp would be useful to construct with simple walls and low level tools that you would have to be desperate to steal...

This is my grand plan. I would love to attempt to make it happen so if anyone wants to aid by dumping a ton of Stone at Novigrad Idol or later even help build a Mansion for a large amount of on site stone. The mansion would be place where a Market and Inn like area could be set up. Beds and Booze inside the mansion, market place outside you know...
Nogetsu

Re: Novigard's Tutor Island. (Important - Stone Blocks needed)

Postby Jevon » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:58 am

Just shooting here, as it concerns something we humble hearthlanders can't do ;D.
How about a crossroads in the newb room where you choose your name etc, with signs pointing to the different tutorial areas.

This would help in preventing things like the mine in the mining area being claimed and taken over (although there are probably other ways of preventing this (getting alts to claim NEXT to the mine so it's impossible to claim it))
Edit: Reference: viewtopic.php?p=40413#p40741

There could then be teleports at the end of the tutorials that go to Brodgar/Novigrad etc.
Jevon

Re: Novigard's Tutor Island. (OP Editted - Stone Blocks needed)

Postby Nogetsu » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:46 pm

Gah... I forgot to write it down as I did it...
Did anyone ever make a Skill Tree???
If not I shall be attempting to start one...
Nogetsu

Postby Wisp » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:39 pm

There's a skill tree somewhere. Try the wiki.
Jackard wrote:GREETINGS INTERNET FRIEND

WE HAVE NEVER MET BEFORE, BUT WOULD YOU LIKE TO JOIN MY UNSECRET SERVICE WHICH LACKS EVEN A COMMON PURPOSE? I HEAR SPIES GET LOTS OF ADVENTURE FOLLOWED BY HOT SEX.

PLEASE LIST YOUR CREDENTIALS IF SO. I WILL SEE WHETHER I CAN WORK YOU INTO MY ARBITRARY HIERARCHY.
Wisp

Postby Flocke » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:03 am

Flocke

Next

Return to [ARCHIVE]In Congress Assembled