Trading is dead — why?

[ARCHIVE FOR WORLDS 1&2]Forum for discussing in game politics, village relations and matters of justice.

Re: Trading is dead — why?

Postby sabinati » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:57 am

the easy solution of course is to trade for things you plan on using or eating quickly.
sabinati

Postby Sever » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:51 am

It just occurred to me now that stealing from yourself to find an enemy is not unlike stealing valuables from yourself to collect the insurance money in real life. The only thing preventing this from being stupidly exploitable is the fact that you'd leave theft scents as well, and a claim and an alt takes care of that. If interactive trade is actually suddenly dead, it's probably this. Vending stands would be an unreliable way to deliver a trackable item to someone, so they wouldn't be affected.
Come back two hours earlier.
Sever

Postby Chakravanti » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:16 am

sabinati wrote:the easy solution of course is to trade for things you plan on using or eating quickly.

I hoard shit. At one point I had close to 1500 linen.

Moreover, this trading style also nixes Entardred's trading style as well. imho, It's too much of a hassle. I traded in too large of quantities to bother with this.
Well what is this that I can't see
With ice cold hands takin' hold of me
Well I am death, none can excel
-Ralph Stanley, O Death!
Chakravanti

Postby Potjeh » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:29 am

What happens if you buy stuff with stolen coins, and then those coins get remixed by the stall owner? Can the new stacks still be tracked?
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby jorb » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:33 pm

I still don't see the problem. The ratio of "people out to get you" to "normal traders" is too low for the off chance of someone tracking you to be a serious concern without auxiliary reasons. General contentment, and an already saturated market, on the other hand, are very reasonable explanations if trade has, indeed, slowed down. No high level player can reasonably be missing much of anything right now (or he's doing it wrong). The marginal utility of producing another batch of whatever should reasonably be very low. The game has a finite amount of content, after all (Though we hope to fix that). Last time I logged in at Xanadu there were cupboards upon cupboards of most anything I could possibly need, so the incentive to go on a trading binge wasn't really there.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Pacho » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:38 am

Well, I can understand chak's paranoia, he has a lot of enemies thanks to that mouth of his, but regular players are really just fine when it comes to trading.
Pacho

Postby Chakravanti » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:14 am

RIght, it's because I talked shit to you way back in the day. THat's it. It's not the wealth I accrued from trading that everyone knwos about. Certainly not that. It's not the wealth a merchant middle class would accrue doing the same thing to get stuff without investing the excessive bicthwork it takes to make fucktons of linen to get items that take less than 1/10th of the time to actually make.

Yeah, it's because I pissed you off that I'm paranoid :lol: Not the menial 3 cupboards of stage 3+ cheese that were stolen in the waynesville raid or the merchant robe, HQ merch rings and 4 bolts of silk. Definitely not my wealth that makes me paranoid.
-Ralph Stanley, O Death!
Chakravanti

Postby jorb » Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:48 pm

Chakravanti wrote:RIght, it's because I talked shit to you way back in the day. THat's it. It's not the wealth I accrued from trading that everyone knwos about. Certainly not that. It's not the wealth a merchant middle class would accrue doing the same thing to get stuff without investing the excessive bicthwork it takes to make fucktons of linen to get items that take less than 1/10th of the time to actually make.

Yeah, it's because I pissed you off that I'm paranoid :lol: Not the menial 3 cupboards of stage 3+ cheese that were stolen in the waynesville raid or the merchant robe, HQ merch rings and 4 bolts of silk. Definitely not my wealth that makes me paranoid.

I do not possess introspective insights into your mind. It might very well be that you have so much shit that you have now stopped trading for fear of losing it. My personal problem is the exact opposite. I have so much shit that I've lost the incentive to get more.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

jorb

Postby Chakravanti » Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:56 pm

Except that you weren't trading for any of that to begin with.
-Ralph Stanley, O Death!
Chakravanti

Postby jorb » Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:12 pm

First of all that isn't exactly true. I've traded for quite a lot in my days, and all of what I did own was invested in Xanadu. Most of that was acquired through trade. Secondly, it doesn't really matter how I got it. I still lack the incentive to trade. Thirdly, this isn't about me. I think the same thing can be said about most high level players. I might be wrong.

jorb

PreviousNext

Return to [ARCHIVE]In Congress Assembled