Novigard Tutorial. The Reason for delays...

[ARCHIVE FOR WORLDS 1&2]Forum for discussing in game politics, village relations and matters of justice.

Re: Novigard Tutorial. The Reason for delays...

Postby Nogetsu » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:21 am

Lothaudus... Is English not your first language. Does the Words 'NO new players' mean anything to you. With the lack of any Newbs entering the area, and the fact that any that had before have left compleatly and that the built Hearthfires around the place are pretty much a newb using what he has without knowing what it does. The only people that can get to Novigard are Experienced players or those that have settled nearby...
It is those kinds of people I am talking to here. Oh and Novigard isn't a Newbie Town mate. Have another look at the Title for a reminder. Its a Tutorial now. No one lives there except me...

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Ah I am talking about Processed items, Sorry that I didn't say Boards instead of Wood. If you haven't been paying attention before, and only now choosing to, Look back, we already know about Mass Deforestation. We have been reforesting it (not me that is, others.)

Really, Read fully mate, Novigard is Closed to Newbs. It is closed to others except Experianced players. No one lives there, except me...

1. What Newb has read that half assed attempt at a Wiki. Its impossible to read and I have tried before and someone edited back to the same shit it was, useless...

2. Clearly you never have been to Novigard, read my initial post about the tutorial or anything. There will be runestones all over the place like NPC Trainers you see all over other MMOs. I would love Jorb to make me a new image like a Runestone with a !Sign attached to it head for this construction but hey can't ask for everything...

3. Once again, Read everything about the damn project next time, just reading through all this shows that you have only read this and only know of whats in this thread. Novigard has been monitored by myself and Potjeh when it comes to the forest and its area. There is not Settling in the area. The only constructions will be what I have built for this tutorial...

And actually I was thinking about starting up 3 more in the North East and South 1st layer grids. IF people would either help or let it be. Letting me get the damn job done...

Oh and I do understand the Newbie mind, I attempt to teach any I find and I have never really said I was an Experienced Player like some (cough, mayhaps you.) have exclaimed over these Forums. Heck I doubt Blaze has ever stated that he is Experienced. Everyone is a Newb, the only difference is if you know you are or not...

And I know I am in for a lot of work, but I wasn't expecting to be cleaning up after Griffers and Asshats...
Nogetsu

Postby Neruz » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:43 am

Nogetsu wrote:The only people that can get to Novigard are Experienced players or those that have settled nearby...

Not technically true, you just need somone to point you to the xroads signs north of the ring of brodgar and you can get there easy.
Neruz

Postby Lothaudus » Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:33 am

Nogetsu wrote:Lothaudus... Is English not your first language. Does the Words 'NO new players' mean anything to you. With the lack of any Newbs entering the area, and the fact that any that had before have left compleatly and that the built Hearthfires around the place are pretty much a newb using what he has without knowing what it does. The only people that can get to Novigard are Experienced players or those that have settled nearby...
It is those kinds of people I am talking to here. Oh and Novigard isn't a Newbie Town mate. Have another look at the Title for a reminder. Its a Tutorial now. No one lives there except me...

Yeah uhhh... Neruz kind of pointed out the issue with that one (though why do people assume things need to be "pointed out"? It's easy enough to wander up there yourself and just start clicking signposts even without any knowledge). And assuming every hearthfire isn't used is a bit much, don't you think? I'd also like to know how you "know" everyone has left the area completely, considering I only picked up one of my guys from there a few days ago. Far as I'm aware, he'd been living close enough that he could boat back down when-ever he needed to ('cuz hey, stuff was there).

Just because people aren't there when you are (and lagging?), doesn't mean people aren't there when you're not.

Nogetsu wrote:Ah I am talking about Processed items, Sorry that I didn't say Boards instead of Wood. If you haven't been paying attention before, and only now choosing to, Look back, we already know about Mass Deforestation. We have been reforesting it (not me that is, others.)

You mentioned a loom being taken, "the area constantly being changed by players" and "Even today in the morning before work I came onto HnH and saw someone Ravaging the fields I had replanted".

I just guess there are more people there than you assumed... Either that or the area is changing itself!!

Nogetsu wrote:Really, Read fully mate, Novigard is Closed to Newbs. It is closed to others except Experianced players. No one lives there, except me...

Oh I see because you put it in the topic title, that means everyone who started down there has left and knows not to touch anything. Right. So how's that working out for you?

Nogetsu wrote:1. What Newb has read that half assed attempt at a Wiki. Its impossible to read and I have tried before and someone edited back to the same shit it was, useless...

I check it all the time. Most of my guys got started reading it.

Nogetsu wrote:2. Clearly you never have been to Novigard, read my initial post about the tutorial or anything. There will be runestones all over the place like NPC Trainers you see all over other MMOs. I would love Jorb to make me a new image like a Runestone with a !Sign attached to it head for this construction but hey can't ask for everything...

Relevant words highlighted. Just because you've declared your intent in the forums doesn't mean every n00b who wanders across the area is going to be aware of your intentions. Of course, you utterly refute and doubt any n00b could ever possibly wander around but we both know that's wrong.

It's not hard to get to, even without any stats.

By the way, just as a funny point to make, it is interesting you assume every n00b who plays is going to be English. I mean gosh, just look at all the difficulty I'm apparently having understanding you now. And you're using whole paragraphs! ;)

Nogetsu wrote:3. Once again, Read everything about the damn project next time

You mean like how all the n00bs down there are too, right? By the way, I didn't read every Runestone I came across in-game when I started either. Why do you assume all the n00bs are going to? And not simply walk right on by? Considering the first stone says "Head South if you want to ignore the tutorial". "Tutorial? Fuck that! I just want seeds and shit!!"

Nogetsu wrote:Oh and I do understand the Newbie mind

Sadly, you don't appear to at all. Novigrad has a lot more resources than any of the areas I found when I started. Given I constantly went back to them for about 2 weeks after I joined (Find Codexia on this map; I boated from there to Brodgar A LOT), I can say if I'd started at Novigrad, we would've harvested quite a lot. And we wouldn't have been doing it to piss you off deliberately either. It'd purely just be getting seeds we didn't have and simply knowing they were available somewhere in large enough quantities (we harvested a lot, n00bs have no idea how big farms should be).

Nogetsu wrote:I have never really said I was an Experienced Player like some (cough, mayhaps you.) have exclaimed over these Forums. Heck I doubt Blaze has ever stated that he is Experienced. Everyone is a Newb, the only difference is if you know you are or not...

That's funny. If everyone is a newb, then why is this thread for "Experienced players or those that have settled nearby... It is those kinds of people I am talking to here."?

Incidentally, this is the fourth accusation you've made against me. First you claim English is not my first language (is there something about proper grammar that confused you?); Didn't understand what you were talking about (yer shits getting nicked); didn't understand the project (it's to help n00bs, right?); and now say I declare myself an experienced player (always called myself a n00b). By the way, please quote me where I said I was an experienced player. Or can't you read? ;)

Now would you like to consider the issue at hand or throw another tantrum?

Like I said, I know of one guy who lived down there in your little "THERE'S NO-ONE THERE BUT ME!" area that ANY N00B can walk right into via the signpost from Brodgar. So grow up, take a chill-pill and calm the fuck down. You've created a wonderful place with lots of resources readily available for people to take when they like. Given someone was harvesting the area, people are obviously doing that then, aren't they? Or do you just assume that because you had login issues, the person strip-farming was an experienced player (of which you say there are none) griefing you? Got anything other than wild speculation to back that up?

Nogetsu wrote:And I know I am in for a lot of work, but I wasn't expecting to be cleaning up after Griffers and Asshats...

You saw what n00bies did at Brodgar, right?
Barry Fletcher Norwin
Lawspeaker of Crossroads - Leader of Codexia - Keeper of the Cheese
http://www.rpgcodex.net
Lothaudus

Postby theTrav » Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:46 am

Number 1 - If you're going to try to help new players, expect to work at it constantly for ever. There is no job that is done once and done for ever (except cabins and authority objects)

Number 2 - Expect at least a small amount of maliciousness, and expect it to be proportionate to the amount of publicity you give it.
To dumb that down a little "complain more, they will grief more, because they like the attention"

Number 3 - Never assume maliciousness where simple ignorance/stupidity is an equally legitimate reason. This one has been pointed out to you at length.

Number 4 - Don't do it for the thanks. You might get some, you might not get any, if you need thanks for it to be worth your while then chances are it won't be enough.

I hope this isn't coming across as super negative or anything, I think it's great that you're putting effort in to help new players (although I would have much preferred if you guys had put the effort in around Brodgar, or really ANY area where there was already an existing concentration of players) and I hope you keep it up, but you should go in with realistic expectations of what you're getting into
theTrav

Previous

Return to [ARCHIVE]In Congress Assembled