World's End - Your New Home?

[ARCHIVE FOR WORLDS 1&2]Forum for discussing in game politics, village relations and matters of justice.

Re: World's End - Your New Home?

Postby ThirdEmperor » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:04 am

Avu wrote:
Chakravanti wrote:40-60 actives would be a feat indeed. The point of having so many people together is that the community effort to support and protect the village becomes less for each member and the viable number of focused soldiers rises rapidly if they can share MBC production.

20-30 actives would be a large village by the average of today's playerbase.

Except yolan doesn't seem to believe in community efforts and sharing of resources that's like communism you know? He believes in democracy capitalism and the american way!

hint: democracy capitalism and other silly real life systems fail hard on a small scale.

ThirdEmperor

Postby Chakravanti » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:23 am

That pic is so classic. It will never die or be any less funny anywhere it's posted in a thread in which avu says anything at all.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Well what is this that I can't see
With ice cold hands takin' hold of me
Well I am death, none can excel
-Ralph Stanley, O Death!
Chakravanti

Postby ThirdEmperor » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:25 am

Exactly.

It's the over 9000 of H&H.
ThirdEmperor

Postby Chakravanti » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:53 am

Like this new pumpkin bread? More Cake for Avu.
Well what is this that I can't see
With ice cold hands takin' hold of me
Well I am death, none can excel
-Ralph Stanley, O Death!
Chakravanti

Postby Yolan » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:11 am

Avu wrote:Except yolan doesn't seem to believe in community efforts and sharing of resources that's like communism you know? He believes in democracy capitalism and the american way!

hint: democracy capitalism and other silly real life systems fail hard on a small scale.

I think comrade Avu was asleep during his lectures on dialectical materialism. ;-)

When the bourgeoisie arise to overthrow the aristocracy and develop a centralised means of production, give me a call.
Yolan

Postby Avalik » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:05 am

I'd be curious to know how it would be much different than Brodgar... which wasn't a really nice experience for me, I think it could work out for experienced players, but not new people, since very little help is offered to them.

There weren't any trees within a decent distance because there was no restrictions on clear-cutting meaning it took 10 minutes just to go on a boat, go to the river, travel, cut trees, and then bring back two logs and an inventory full of wood which isn't that much... or even to get some measly branches to cook some meat, seeing as no one would let me use their oven to cook..., and only one person was willing to help me build my house or paliside but I hardly had enough time to do it myself because almost every time I was online it was "time to work for the city!" building roads, farming hemp, etc. Half the time my character was starving cause the only time food was shared was when it was "working for the city" and I was too busy trying to get my house and paliside up, and working for the city, to get a farm going - and as mentioned, no one would let me use their oven, and I'd have to travel 10 minutes just cook some rabbit meat. While the experienced players sat on their chicken coops, farms, and cupboards and cupboards of meat unwilling to share anything. And then getting a backpack - an impossible mission. As expected, no one offered me leather or any help, but there were some drying racks and tanning tubs around which I would put rabbits on... only for it to be stolen the next day when it was dried, over and over again. In fact, until I got my claim up (which takes awhile for a new person), people just stole any food or goods or wood I had on my plot.... making it even harder to finish my house, and not starve to death. By the end of the whole charade my character was less than 50% health due to starvation and such, but no one offered me gauze. (EDIT: Actually I believe.. Blitz... offered me gauze, but I was never given it so it's rather irrelevant, and we had sheep)

It might have been managable if about 65% of my online time wasn't devoted to "working for the city", but that wasn't the case. I guess it was just bad luck my log in time, but that's how it happened.

And then a week after I finally finished the house and (nearly) finished the paliside which took weeks, the whole place gets griefed and my plot destroyed and the whole place abandoned.

It was really just a "give, give, give to the city and no get!" for me and at least one of the other new players I talked to in the city.

The idea sounds nice, it again might work for experienced players, but it's an absolute nightmare for new players like I was. So I'd like to know how it would be difference for new players.
Tits nipply out here we breast head inside.
Avalik

Postby burgingham » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:09 am

Yolan wrote:
Avu wrote:Except yolan doesn't seem to believe in community efforts and sharing of resources that's like communism you know? He believes in democracy capitalism and the american way!

I think comrade Avu was asleep during his lectures on dialectical materialism. ;-)

When the bourgeoisie arise to overthrow the aristocracy and develop a centralised means of production, give me a call.

already happened
burgingham

Postby Yolan » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:45 am

Avalik wrote:I'd be curious to know how it would be much different than Brodgar... which wasn't a really nice experience for me, I think it could work out for experienced players, but not new people, since very little help is offered to them.

There weren't any trees within a decent distance because there was no restrictions on clear-cutting meaning it took 10 minutes just to go on a boat, go to the river, travel, cut trees, and then bring back two logs and an inventory full of wood which isn't that much... or even to get some measly branches to cook some meat, seeing as no one would let me use their oven to cook..., and only one person was willing to help me build my house or paliside but I hardly had enough time to do it myself because almost every time I was online it was "time to work for the city!" building roads, farming hemp, etc. Half the time my character was starving cause the only time food was shared was when it was "working for the city" and I was too busy trying to get my house and paliside up, and working for the city, to get a farm going - and as mentioned, no one would let me use their oven, and I'd have to travel 10 minutes just cook some rabbit meat. While the experienced players sat on their chicken coops, farms, and cupboards and cupboards of meat unwilling to share anything. And then getting a backpack - an impossible mission. As expected, no one offered me leather or any help, but there were some drying racks and tanning tubs around which I would put rabbits on... only for it to be stolen the next day when it was dried, over and over again. In fact, until I got my claim up (which takes awhile for a new person), people just stole any food or goods or wood I had on my plot.... making it even harder to finish my house, and not starve to death. By the end of the whole charade my character was less than 50% health due to starvation and such, but no one offered me gauze. (EDIT: Actually I believe.. Blitz... offered me gauze, but I was never given it so it's rather irrelevant, and we had sheep)

It might have been managable if about 65% of my online time wasn't devoted to "working for the city", but that wasn't the case. I guess it was just bad luck my log in time, but that's how it happened.

And then a week after I finally finished the house and (nearly) finished the paliside which took weeks, the whole place gets griefed and my plot destroyed and the whole place abandoned.

It was really just a "give, give, give to the city and no get!" for me and at least one of the other new players I talked to in the city.

The idea sounds nice, it again might work for experienced players, but it's an absolute nightmare for new players like I was. So I'd like to know how it would be difference for new players.

You say that 65% of your online time was devoted to helping out the city, but it sounds to me like the time you logged on was typically coinciding with the half-hour daily road gang grind. ;-)

A few things are different.

1). We have iron. That means metal plows and pick axes. Most road work can be tidied up quite quickly by a few people.
2). Hunger has been adjusted. Its not a constant struggle to feed your cake hole.
3). It's not the beginning of the world. A number of our players are high level, and are more than happy to help out a new guy with a good Q bone saw or knock up a backpack, etc.
4). We do need flax, but we pay for it. If you want to grow it or not, its up to you.
5). We have a community oxcart for log runs.
Yolan

Postby Avalik » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:31 am

Yes, my log in time was probably very bad luck, though the hemp-gathering for those banners was longer than half an hour. If I remember right it even ran for about 2-4 hours usually, and were expected to gather hemp in "any of your spare time" for the banners. And that one time I was asked to find the mine to claim it (later, just to bring the supplies) took my whole day away. It would have been nice if I could have opted out once in awhile to get my own things done faster, particularly I just wanted to secure my plot so people would stop stealing off of it, and so I could get leather to get a backpack. I was happy to help, but since I got very little help in return, and I was starving to death, it was kind of troublesome for me.

"Hunger has been adjusted. Its not a constant struggle to feed your cake hole."

Mmm... yes, that will probably make a huge difference, I would hope.

I have a hard time believing number 3, since Brodgar had some pretty high level peeps too.

5 would make a huge difference, as long as lower levels actually have access to it and it isn't constantly in use.

My only other suggestions would be to have public-access (as in, not on a claim) ovens in particular... and maybe other public-access things like a small pumpkin garden, forge, etc so people don't have to build these on their property. Oh, and very small public tree garden, strictly for branches (for fuel, and fires) ... or at least just don't clear-cut everything within a huge radius.

I still have a hard time seeing how it is beneficial to live in a city that doesn't do much to help you and you just do your own thing, in comparison to living in the wilderness on your own (where you don't have to compete for resources, and no city-work) or a city that does help you. The other two just seem like the better choice,... I guess if you wanted to do your own thing, and have some security too, it would be better to live in your city vs. the wild, but then again all of Brodgar got slaughetered so it doesn't seem like cities provide much security in the first place. I dunno. It sounds like an alright idea, I guess.
Tits nipply out here we breast head inside.
Avalik

Postby sabinati » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:32 am

uh brogdar had no high level people. nobody was high level yet, it was a new world.
sabinati

PreviousNext

Return to [ARCHIVE]In Congress Assembled