Client on Linux

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Client on Linux

Postby kobnach » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:48 am

So, I normally play from a fairly powerful windows vista box, designed and built to be good for games. I get some lag, but usually when the server's in trouble.

Today I decided it was finally time to play with the client, so I built it on my linux system, and launched it. The result is quite unplayable - I cannot reliably click the mouse at any particular location. Interestingly, I can't get the client from the web site to run at all - iceweasel doesn't have a clue what to do with a jnlp file, and apparently feeding it to java is not the right answer. (I wanted to do this to check on whether I might possibly have a build issue.) Any suggestions as to what might be wrong .. either with the web browser or the impossible mouse control?

Also, is anyone else successfully playing from linux, and if so, what distro, what version, what hardware, etc.?
kobnach

Re: Client on Linux

Postby loftar » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:12 am

I, personally, only play on Linux (Debian) and have experienced no particular problems. For the record, I'm using an nVidia video card with nVidia's icky binblob drivers. As for the mouse problem, I cannot say that I understand the symptom as you describe it.

As for launching the JNLP file, it is correct that you cannot feed it to the "java" program; it is the "javaws" program which runs JNLP files. And that's the way I normally run it when I play; I just run "javaws http://www.havenandhearth.com/java/haven.jnlp".
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby theTrav » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:19 am

If you're using desktop effects that make use of your video card accelleration (eg, compiz or beryl) then you may have some trouble. I noticed a whole lot of flickering and frame rate issues under ubuntu until I turned off desktop effects and then it ran reasonably well.
theTrav

Postby kobnach » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:45 pm

loftar wrote:I, personally, only play on Linux (Debian) and have experienced no particular problems. For the record, I'm using an nVidia video card with nVidia's icky binblob drivers. As for the mouse problem, I cannot say that I understand the symptom as you describe it.

As for launching the JNLP file, it is correct that you cannot feed it to the "java" program; it is the "javaws" program which runs JNLP files. And that's the way I normally run it when I play; I just run "javaws http://www.havenandhearth.com/java/haven.jnlp".

Thanks. I rather thought you'd be running on linux, given things you've said. I too am using debian. I'll have to check what kind of video I have on that box; its primary function is as a server, so graphics were not a priority. (What it has is good enough for light office use, and more importantly for use as a development machine, i.e. it will run X with acceptable performance, and that's all I cared about.)

[Edit - the mouse problem looks like semi-random overshoot. One little mouse twitch and I'm half way across the window. It moves much faster/farther than on the rest of the desktop, and it's almost impossible to place it precisely enough to click a particular object.]
kobnach

Postby kobnach » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:08 pm

loftar wrote:As for launching the JNLP file, it is correct that you cannot feed it to the "java" program; it is the "javaws" program which runs JNLP files. And that's the way I normally run it when I play; I just run "javaws http://www.havenandhearth.com/java/haven.jnlp".

Running javaws from the browser got me "Failed to validate certificate. The application will not be executed." I believe I answered "yes, run it" to any popups that appeared, but apparently iceweasel and/or javaws knows best ;-(

[Edit: The same thing happened running from the command line, even after clicking "always trust content from this publisher".]
kobnach

Postby Dondy » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:31 pm

[Edit - the mouse problem looks like semi-random overshoot. One little mouse twitch and I'm half way across the window. It moves much faster/farther than on the rest of the desktop, and it's almost impossible to place it precisely enough to click a particular object.][/quote]

I get that problem every now and again and I'm not running on Linux, just a FutureShop cheapie reconditioned ready-to-run PC. Waiting an hour or so, or restarting my computer generally fixes it.
Dondy

Postby Davis » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:04 am

I'm trying to play on Ubuntu 9.10 karmic. Trying being the operative word. Probably doesn't help that I'm a noob in both H&H and Ubuntu. The game starts normally but it's practically unplayable. The cursor either jumps around or crawls with very little in between and interacting with objects and is an exercise in futility. Anyone have anymore input on how to make this run? I don't have a graphics card but I've successfully run World of Warcraft on my setup. Compared to that graphically H&H is minesweeper. Desktop effects are already turned off and it's still running very poorly.
Davis

Postby exo762 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:12 pm

Davis wrote:I'm trying to play on Ubuntu 9.10 karmic ... running very poorly.

My acer aspire one with weak Intel GMA 950 graphics and sun-java6 behaves in exactly same way. Mouse cursor over H&H window is so laggy that I can call it unplayable. So I'm just not using that PC for H&H :|
exo762

Postby kaka » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:20 pm

exo762 wrote:
Davis wrote:I'm trying to play on Ubuntu 9.10 karmic ... running very poorly.

My acer aspire one with weak Intel GMA 950 graphics and sun-java6 behaves in exactly same way. Mouse cursor over H&H window is so laggy that I can call it unplayable. So I'm just not using that PC for H&H :|

I had the same problem, so I switched to Debian and that fixed it for me.
kaka

Postby sabinati » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:58 pm

yeah the game ran like shit for me on ubuntu as well i blame the nvidia drivers that came with that install
sabinati

Next

Return to How do I?