Idea: Notice Board

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Idea: Notice Board

Postby wickerman_156 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:24 am

cobaltjones wrote:The whole parchment/messaging system needs an update.
vikingdragons wrote:...but a message board of some kind would be a nice addition, as would being able to have more than 1 line on runestones/parchement.

Yeh there's been threads about it and I brought it up in my Book idea thread too, hopefully they'll add it soon.
cobaltjones wrote:Village notices seems reasonable, although I think you're making it more complicated than it needs to be.

The wanted poster may be a bit complicated but I dont see the notices as being very complicated, maybe it just seems so when reading about it all, but in practice it would probably be quite easy to use and understand.
vikingdragons wrote:I like the signature thing, but the whole wanted system is questing, and quests are for more 'norma;' mmorpgs, not a sandbox game like H&H.

I think player created requests could work, and what better place to at least try it than in alpha :)
Kaios wrote:I love it. I don't see this as the generic quest theme at all, it is real people putting up actual requests for help, trades, communication, whatever. I think it's a great idea and you put a lot of work in to your presentation and I think it is great.
Sarge wrote:Wow, you've put in a lot of effort on your presentation, very nice.

Thank you, yes I don't like doing things half-assed.

Thanks for the link, love this idea too. :)
Kaios wrote:The add reward feature for wanted posters makes sense in terms of incentive to get someone to take up your request, however I don't think it would work out very well. I assume it would do a check to see if player is dead with the scent, but I don't understand how the reward appears from a notice board. You stored the item(s) in the board and no one can just walk up and take it until the mission is complete? And then how does it determine that YOU are the one who killed the perpetrator? What if someone else who accepted decides to go up and claim the reward after you've done all the hard work.
I just don't see a reward system working like that.

There is probably some way for the "system" to determine who killed who and check if the player who killed the other player had accepted a request to do so and then flag the players request as completed.
Yes the reward item is stored in the Notice Board, and no one but the one who completed the request (I like the word "request" better, it doesn't sound as bad as quest xP) can retrieve the reward... ah and I just thought of some complications with this; it could be used as personal storage which no one could steal from, the board would of course be breakable and all the stored items would drop out but then public notice boards would get broken all the time from thieves wanting all the goodies, maybe it is best to scrap or rethink the wanted poster/request idea :/

Kaios wrote:This is how I believe it should work: When you are adding the perpetrators scent, you only need one set. Then that scent is binded to the wanted poster. People who accept, will receive the amount of scents they'd normally get from tracking it as if it were on the ground, and normal decay rate applies.

This way, you make the scent available to anyone who wishes to aid you, and it runs out naturally like any other scent would.

Yes I thought of this way too but that would be duping if I understand you right, and that could be abused.
Kaios wrote:Of course something would need to be implemented so a player can only take one set of scents at a time, and not store in a container and keep taking them.

When you press accept you get a stack of scents and can't press accept again to get more scents, throw away the scent and you have to wait 24hrs to get more.

Please don't quote this entire post.
von Wurstone
wickerman_156

Postby Cajoes » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:41 pm

Unwitnessed, thou hast slain a great dragon in self defense. A poor warrior claims the offered reward. Dost thou:

Stab the f***er.
Cajoes

Postby Grog » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:49 pm

+1
Favourite thread: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3388
Grog

Postby GrandProject » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:58 pm

+1

Then I can place bounties on foreigners who don't speak enough english to say sorry....
err, Russians.
GrandProject

Postby humanalien » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:20 pm

me like :D
humanalien

Postby toshirohayate » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:28 pm

Yeah this is a great idea. Would be nice to enter villages looking for jobs this way. Easier than logging onto the forum and seeing jobs EVERYONE can see.

+1
toshirohayate

Postby Haba » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:20 pm

Kaios wrote:The add reward feature for wanted posters makes sense in terms of incentive to get someone to take up your request, however I don't think it would work out very well. I assume it would do a check to see if player is dead with the scent, but I don't understand how the reward appears from a notice board. You stored the item(s) in the board and no one can just walk up and take it until the mission is complete? And then how does it determine that YOU are the one who killed the perpetrator? What if someone else who accepted decides to go up and claim the reward after you've done all the hard work.
I just don't see a reward system working like that.

Bring me their head... or ear. Simple.

I like the idea.
Haba

Postby Khamatus » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:33 pm

I loved
Its like quests, but instead of getting them from random npcs you get from actual players that really need something done...

This could create a whole new kind of H&H player, a bounty hunter...(well, there are already bounty hunters, but still...)
Khamatus

Postby Negatron » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:43 am

Top quality idea, I'd been thinking along the same lines.

Perhaps to make one of these notice boards you'd need to create a strong box to hold the rewards inside. The strong box could only be breakable using a B12 and a high strength or something. That would limit the amount of trashing of these things for a while perhaps.... dunno... probly not considering how fast people level up and become super hardcore... There's gotta be some way around that part without destroying the feel of Haven and hearth. Having anything you can't destroy/steal would break the entire game concept.

A scent thats given to the person that did the job, which leads them somewhere. In that spot you could.... bury something... no that mechanic doesnt exist... build a small palisade with two gates, and the person who completes the job gets one of the keys so they can enter to get thier reward? dunno.

Awesome idea though. Even just for making requests and without the reward system, though I still think a reward system would rock.
Negatron

Postby Jackard » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:52 am

been suggested before, but i like your mockups
Jackard

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas