Game Development: World 5

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: World 5

Postby SeanPan » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:56 pm

pyrale wrote:
SeanPan wrote:[...]

Just curious, how exactly do you measure one's ability to influence other people ?

Assuming that someone is capable of destroying your home, torture your loved ones in front of you, end all your dreams and hopes in conflagation and despair while removing any possible ability for you to escape the situation: such a person would most likely have significant influence over you.

Likewise, if someone is the sole person responsible for your ability to find any happiness in the world, is capable of giving you all that you desire and is therefore responsible for your entire personal reason of existence: that person also has significant influence over you.

I've actually been brooding on this ever since I was a child, and honestly, its not that complicated. Power is simply the ability to make a choice for yourself or for another, or the ability to deny others of their choice. If you can motivate someone to act the way you want, then you have some power over them - it can be cooperative or coercive; by itself, power has no moral stance associated with it.

Ultimately, all of society can be understood in that manner. Morality is strongly associated with consequence or reward - I do not steal from the store because I might be caught, and the criminal record on me would be a permanant mark against me. The power of gaining an item without loss of money(which can be understood as liquid power), is balanced against the risk of a permanant loss of power in society in the forms of not being able to get better jobs, etc. If I had no prospects of advancement, then stealing may become the optimal choice.

Furthermore this can be understood the original formation of human groups would involve a certain loss of personal power to avoid a total loss of power from death by starvation. As for the overall meaning of life? I have a fairly developed philosphy of that, but it is ultimately meaningless in the greater context of the world - many individuals seek power consciously or unconsciously for the sake of it, must like individuals seek life for the sake of life, whether it is meaningful or not. And by the Pareto Principle, it only takes 20% of such self-serving individuals(or even fewer) to account for the vast majority of change and influence in the world.
SeanPan

Postby Maulkin » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:03 pm

Hey what abou them bears huh? Big furry fluffy bugger what? How many has dared to spend a hide on making a stuffed bear?
SeaTribe

They specialize in permadeath and forum drama. :-)

Salem BETA: (Id be very glad if you use my link.)
http://beta.salemthegame.com/?ref=f626891d069
Maulkin

Postby chaosovum » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:01 pm

Is someone DDOSing the site or something?
chaosovum

Postby loftar » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:31 pm

No, from what I can tell, all access seems "legitimate". I don't know if it's the current Russian drama that's drawing attention to the forums. :)

See here for technical details.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby ImpalerWrG » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:50 pm

SeanPan wrote:Power is simply the ability to make a choice for yourself or for another, or the ability to deny others of their choice.

The Better definition is "The ability to achieve against Resistance", a greater power can achieve against a greater resistance. This definition encompasses all the common usages of the word Power, such as the purely mechanical aka "Horse Power" as well as Social "Political Power" and mental "Will Power".
ImpalerWrG

Postby loftar » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:36 am

loftar wrote:No, from what I can tell, all access seems "legitimate".

Actually, I may have to take this back. There are like 1000 requests per minute for Flame's forum profile page, for some reason. Coming from a lot of different IP adresses all using the same session ID in the URL. Not that it's a problem.
loftar

Postby Flame » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:01 am

O_o....

I...should be scared?
Flame

Postby loftar » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:12 am

Nah, you're probably just really popular. ^^
loftar

Postby Flame » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:45 am

This is scary too. XDD
Flame

Postby BWithey » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:33 am

jorb wrote:
Junkfist wrote:
Rhiannon wrote:Here is the USA, our governement was created by the founding fathers to provide the services that WE as individuals cannot.

Everyone, kill your parents if they taught you this.

That.

Thirded... Parents who teach their kids this kind of entitlement bullshit should have their parenting rights removed, and their reproductive organs processed into fertilizer for feces processing worms.
BWithey

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements