The New World: ... a few hours on.

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

The New World: ... a few hours on.

Postby jorb » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:46 pm

As dawn breaks on the new world, the worst of the initial lags, crashes and problems seem to be settling down. As of this posting there are 122 people logged in, and the server is holding up decently at the moment. A few reflections.

1st: DON'T TRY TO SWIM UNLESS YOU HAVE A LOT OF CONSTITUTION. 40 MINIMUM.... you might drown otherwise. We've had a few accidents.
2nd: Please note that the infinite map generation is not automated yet. This means we'll have to do it manually for a while, which means you might run into the old invisible wall from time to time.
3rd: Have fun.
4th: Here is a map for the centralmost supergrid (5000x5000 tiles, one old map.). We will not post updates to this map. Map updates will be playermade via a skill in the future. Until then, this is what you have.

http://www.seatribe.se/roligabilder/new-map.png
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Re: The New World: ... a few hours on.

Postby Golbez » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:53 pm

So... What will happen to the people who had tragic drowning accidents before information was available? Will we continue being dead?
Golbez

Postby loftar » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:56 pm

Golbez wrote:drowning accidents before information was available

Well, to be honest, we've posted at least three warning, and the skill text for the Swimming skill itself has a warning as well, but...

Reviving dead characters is very hard, and was never meant to be done. The act of dying purges a lot of character data in the process. I cannot commit to reviving people.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Yolan » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:57 pm

so... whats the story with Bob Tims giant freaking claim? Basically, I am going to have to give up my idea of a Brodgar city at this point. Nowhere to place it.
Yolan

Postby Lokito_fp » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:07 pm

yeah i was looking forward to RoB village
To do list:
1-Booze
2-more booze
3- even more 1 and 2
4- plant and get seeds for bread
5-back to booze
Lokito_fp

Postby Yolan » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:18 pm

Lokito_fp wrote:yeah i was looking forward to RoB village

Me too. :-(

Any godly justice?
Yolan

Postby Loopoo » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:19 pm

Common sense dictates that the small river north west of Brodgar is small. When you warned us about the risk of swimming, I pictured swimming across lakes, oceans and LARGE MAIN RIVERS would be dangerous. Not tiny little things that take 3 seconds to walk across. If I saw a large body of water, I wouldn't have tried to swim it, but the river I tried crossing was no more than a cabin-width across. Fucking stupid.

I say, if possible, that you revive all dead people who died this day. Either by reverting their accounts one by one (sucks, I know, but there is only about 20 people who died, is it really that hard to revert em?) or just reset the map (which I don't really like, and if turned down, I understand).

I spent a good whole week getting all my skills up and everything, just to drown rather fast (too fast to even swim back out) and lose it all. I was going to go hunting and build a nice base, now I have to work it all back up again.

But, if you decide not to, I don't actually mind as much. Seeing as there are trees galore it won't be too hard.

PS: The only thing gay about this is I can't put a claim stake up fast enough.
Loopoo

Postby farmchamp » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:20 pm

server down again, banned from irc for no reason so i couldn't figure out why... darn it.
OhNiner - Farmer, hunter, wanabee thief and general noob.
farmchamp

Postby jorb » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:21 pm

I have OK:ed the goon claim on terms that it does not attempt to prevent players to log in at RoB, nor engages in excessive acts of server terrorism.

Deaths from drowning will not be reverted.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby NATOPhon » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:22 pm

farmchamp wrote:server down again, banned from irc for no reason so i couldn't figure out why... darn it.

maybe you shouldn't spam misinformation
NATOPhon

Next

Return to Announcements