New minehole mechanics

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

New minehole mechanics

Postby Xcom » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:53 pm

I did some experiments on the new minehole mechanics and this is what I found.

If your trying to place a minehole it checks if there are any objects that have a hitbox below it. This includes players, minesupports, stalactites, cave water and others. Carpets do not block the minehole sign get placed as it doesn't have a hitbox. The area the minehole checks is a 8x8 area centerd on the location the ladder will come out. The area it checks is cubical in shape as well.

If its blocked you get this message:

After the minehole goes up you get the typical minehole ladder and the special cave tiles mineholes make. These are permanent as they will permanently stay even after the minehole is removed.

The minehole removal is simple. You can bash them like any other object. 25 soak and 1000 hitpoints. After they go poof they instantly remove the ladder underneath at the same time. But the tiles stay. No cavins or anything happens underneath.

Image taken instantly after the minehole went poof.

You can place a new minehole right above the old minehole given that there are no objects blocking it from below.

Mined out cave tiles doesn't block mineholes either but I haven't actually built and tested if they really do get built even if the sign is placeable. Something for the future I guess.
Xcom

Re: New minehole mechanics

Postby NOOBY93 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:56 pm

One thing I wanna know is, if you make a huge cave on, say, lvl 2, using mineholes on level 1 (and destroying them), do the tiles spawn stalagooms and glimmermosses?
Jalpha wrote:I believe in my interpretation of things.
NOOBY93

Postby cobaltjones » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:18 pm

I seriously doubt it, as the "cave tiles" you see when a minehole is built are more of a visual thing and aren't actually considered real cave tiles by the map.
cobaltjones

Postby borka » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:43 pm

i never ever found any curios on minehole floor tiles...

TY Mr HnH Scientist for experimenting and post...!
Java 8 - manually downloads - good to check for actual versions url here:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=40331
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head Feed your head
borka

Postby LadyV » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:50 pm

borka wrote:i never ever found any curios on minehole floor tiles...

I have before
LadyV

Postby Xcom » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:48 am

NOOBY93 wrote:One thing I wanna know is, if you make a huge cave on, say, lvl 2, using mineholes on level 1 (and destroying them), do the tiles spawn stalagooms and glimmermosses?

Cave tiles and minehole tiles have even different tile IDs. They just use the same tile image.

Player made mudflats, animal made and natural made mudflats all have the same type of ID but only the natural kind can be dug for clay or give curios. Even though they are all the same tile client side they are different server side. But cave tiles and mined out tiles even have different IDs and that should be enough proof about them never produce any type of curio.
Xcom

Postby NOOBY93 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:57 am

Xcom wrote:
NOOBY93 wrote:One thing I wanna know is, if you make a huge cave on, say, lvl 2, using mineholes on level 1 (and destroying them), do the tiles spawn stalagooms and glimmermosses?

Cave tiles and minehole tiles have even different tile IDs. They just use the same tile image.

Player made mudflats, animal made and natural made mudflats all have the same type of ID but only the natural kind can be dug for clay or give curios. Even though they are all the same tile client side they are different server side. But cave tiles and mined out tiles even have different IDs and that should be enough proof about them never produce any type of curio.

Yes! Thanks.
Jalpha wrote:I believe in my interpretation of things.
NOOBY93

Postby mvgulik » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:39 pm

Mmm ...

Xcom wrote:Player made mudflats, animal made and natural made mudflats all have the same type of ID but only the natural kind can be dug for clay or give curios. Even though they are all the same tile client side they are different server side. But cave tiles and mined out tiles even have different IDs and that should be enough proof about them never produce any type of curio.
Xcom. That's actually a presumption. It might be a relative save presumption. But a presumption none the less. Seeing a single curiosity spawned on a minehole floor ... would be a true proof case.

LadyV wrote:
borka wrote:i never ever found any curios on minehole floor tiles...
I have before
I like to believe that, but think it needs a bit more to call it confirmed.

Anyone that sees a spawned curiosity on a minehole floor tile. Please take screenshot and post. Add the mining level to, just in case.
mvgulik

Postby MagicManICT » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:04 pm

I guess if anyone has an extreme excess of hardened leather laying about, they could place a few dozen mineholes, make a fairly large "unnatural" cave, and watch it for curios. Removal of old mine holes may not be necessary, it may be. Suck if it were the case it doesn't work. Interesting possibility of making an underground 'curio farm' if you can locate a high quality node to do this on.

I'm more likely to side with xcom on this, though there's the distinct possibility that LadyV could be right. Just because they have different ids and could be saved differently server side doesn't mean that they can't be spawned on. It would be inconsistent with other mechanics, but I think we can point out other cases that could be considered inconsistent, too.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Ashghan » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:17 pm

LadyV - was the minehole floor the 'created by building' type or was it a natural cave passageway that was underneath the mine hole? Because it might be the case that the minehole floor doesn't replace the cave floor if it finds it underneath. Can this be verified? Ie. build minehole over natural cave and check floor id?
Ashghan

Next

Return to How do I?