Best place to settle down?

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Best place to settle down?

Postby Dolby3d » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:10 am

I entered the game a bit late but now I need to find a spot to settle down, quietly. Now I managed to get my ender working and I just realised how far you can zoom out on the minimap and spot villages/houses... It raises a bit of a concern to me so Im wondering whether I should move my claim all the way inland untill there are no rivers to be seen. Would this be safe(er)?

Also, is it still possible to bash down palisade with your fists? I probably will never get my hands onto a steel bar as a hermit so palisade will have to do...
Dolby3d

Re: Best place to settle down?

Postby Aokigahara » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:26 am

Try to make your way to one of the expansion super grids on the worlds edge, they are much less populated.
"The light shineth in the darkness; but the darkness comprehended it not."
Aokigahara

Postby Dolby3d » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:49 am

Aokigahara wrote:Try to make your way to one of the expansion super grids on the worlds edge, they are much less populated.

Right, but i happened to spawn really close to the center... But what about my idea? Isnt a raiders strategy to boat around the map looking for villages and houses to raid?
Dolby3d

Postby borka » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:07 pm

Dolby3d wrote:-snip-
Also, is it still possible to bash down palisade with your fists? I probably will never get my hands onto a steel bar as a hermit so palisade will have to do...

It is still possible with the right STR (Sledgehammer) - Hermitting doesn't hinder you to get your hands on steel - sure the refueling times makes it much much harder for hermits but as last resort you can trade for it (if you miss refueling too often)

Urgent Hint: when you found a place to settle - keep it very small in the beginning - check your neighbourhood - think about how much you might cross their plans when settling there (i.e. chopping , pclaim stopping animals from spawning, too close to next claim ...), try to make contacts and ask about the area and settling there ...

The worst new settler mistakes i see every few days : spawn somewhere, settle but not check more than a few steps, chopping larger amounts of trees at one spot, building large area fences, spam runestones with "blablas place" or such , pave and start to build houses and stuff without having anything claimed ... then either never login again or worse having angered the neighbourhood that much that someone destroys everything ...
Java 8 - manually downloads - good to check for actual versions url here:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=40331
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head Feed your head
borka

Postby Yolan » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:15 pm

Here is a suggestion. Make a character at Brodgar, and then walk eastwards for a while. That way you are easily in very empty territory.

HS for the town are

BrodgarOne
BrodgarTwo
BrodgarThree
Yolan

Postby borka » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:24 pm

ha Yolan i guess a lot of people did already ;)
borka

Postby Dolby3d » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:20 pm

borka wrote:
Dolby3d wrote:-snip-

It is still possible with the right STR (Sledgehammer) - Hermitting doesn't hinder you to get your hands on steel - sure the refueling times makes it much much harder for hermits but as last resort you can trade for it (if you miss refueling too often)

Urgent Hint: when you found a place to settle - keep it very small in the beginning - check your neighbourhood - think about how much you might cross their plans when settling there (i.e. chopping , pclaim stopping animals from spawning, too close to next claim ...), try to make contacts and ask about the area and settling there ...

The worst new settler mistakes i see every few days : spawn somewhere, settle but not check more than a few steps, chopping larger amounts of trees at one spot, building large area fences, spam runestones with "blablas place" or such , pave and start to build houses and stuff without having anything claimed ... then either never login again or worse having angered the neighbourhood that much that someone destroys everything ...

Yeah I realised in W6 that i really dont need that much space or farming ground just for myself so i ended up having a huge ugly empty paved area...
Quick summary of what i got: a claim which bit land inwards from a lake (10x10). It has sand and also a q10 clay note (i already stacked up like 10 prisms and toy chariots). Planning on importing birch trees to make bark boats, even though my camp is on conifer forest (good lp anyway). There are like 4 villages nearby (i know my location on the world map) but i havent seen anybody yet...
Dolby3d

Postby borka » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:15 am

A good example for not having thought about where to settle when new:
http://www.havenandhearth.com/forum/vie ... 34&t=33490
borka

Return to How do I?