Bugfixes: Banners & Familiars

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Bugfixes: Banners & Familiars

Postby loftar » Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:20 pm

Seizure wrote:So, hows Haven 2.0 coming?

Well, it's a bit as if we travelled five years into the past, when we were happy with just having a player object walking around the map. :)
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby jordancoles » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:16 pm

loftar wrote:

Well, it's a bit as if we travelled five years into the past, when we were happy with just having a player object walking around the map. :)

Great! When do I get my pre pre alpha invite :mrgreen:
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby MrGemini » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:01 pm

jordancoles wrote:Great! When do I get my pre pre alpha invite :mrgreen:

me 2 plz
Greetings, Gemini & Tinkababe

jorb wrote:Given your obvious merits I'm not convinced that that's a loss, but... you would be more helpful if you stated what it is you dislike about this, and why. I can't do much with "QQstopkillinggaembye".
MrGemini

Postby jorb » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:40 pm

jordancoles wrote:Great! When do I get my pre pre alpha invite :mrgreen:

Soon (tm)
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Aokigahara » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:20 am

(Soon being next summer, maybe, if all the stars align.)
"The light shineth in the darkness; but the darkness comprehended it not."
Aokigahara

Postby Aokigahara » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:23 am

loftar wrote:

For those of us who weren't around back then, how far apart was it from that point to when you started letting people tinker with shit? I know when we started Salem Alpha there truly wasn't jack shit to do....
"The light shineth in the darkness; but the darkness comprehended it not."
Aokigahara

Postby loftar » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:08 am

Aokigahara wrote:For those of us who weren't around back then

For anyone who's interested, some early milestones include the following (taken approximately from memory):
  • Sometime in like 2005: Jorb starts presenting the idea to me.
  • September 2007: Under the guise of "teaching him how to do it", Jorb tricks me into actually starting developing a simple single-player version. (Jorb has some truly stone-age mockup of Haven still lying around that he may feel free to post if he wants to.)
  • Some month or so later: We switch to a client/server model.
  • December 8th 2007: The characters Jorb and Loftar are born. A few weeks later they can walk around, chop down trees, and pick up the whole logs into their inventories. (As a piece of trivia, I and Jorb still have the entry left for the initial inventory format, both full of logs.)
  • Spring 2008: Major rework of resource handling and switch to OpenGL.
  • I think somewhere between here, cows are implemented, and their hides are made dryable and tannable.
  • August 2008: The homepage is first made, with open registrations. Though noone registers. QQ
  • October 2008: The combat system and accompanying death are implemented and by the hand of Jorb, the hearthlands are soon robbed of their innocence.
  • More mechanics are added.
  • Late May/June 2009: People actually start registering, arriving via SGA, wherein we participated.
loftar

Postby jordancoles » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:11 am

loftar wrote:
Aokigahara wrote:For those of us who weren't around back then

For anyone who's interested, some early milestones include the following (taken approximately from memory):
  • Sometime in like 2005: Jorb starts presenting the idea to me.
  • September 2007: Under the guise of "teaching him how to do it", Jorb tricks me into actually starting developing a simple single-player version. (Jorb has some stone-age mockup of Haven that he may feel free to post if he wants to.)
  • Some month or so later: We switch to a client/server model.
  • December 8th 2007: The characters Jorb and Loftar are born. A few weeks later they can walk around, chop down trees, and pick up the whole logs into their inventories.
  • Spring 2008: Major rework of resource handling and switch to OpenGL.
  • I think somewhere between here, cows are implemented, and their hides are made dryable and tannable.
  • August 2008: The homepage is first made, with open registrations. Though noone registers. QQ
  • October 2008: The combat system and accompanying death are implemented and by the hand of Jorb, the hearthlands are soon robbed of their innocence.
  • More mechanics are added.
  • Late May/June 2009: People actually start registering, arriving via SGA, wherein we participated.

Cool timeline! Excited to see the 2.0 process!

Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby loftar » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:18 am

I will have you know that image macro is wildly inaccurate. When I'm done, your interface will no longer be GUI. It's always been Jorb who has insisted that the interface shouldn't be purely command-line-driven. ^^
loftar

Postby jordancoles » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:26 am

Image Image Image
jordancoles

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements