P2P plan

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

P2P plan

Postby Felkin » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:50 pm

Edit :

I just read all of Jorb's posts on the initial thread. I got the idea now :

Because of the way those 2 are, they don't consider the playerbase's "trust" as a factor.

We can all agree that a post should have been made weeks/months ago with asking for opinions on the model just to see how much backlash it would get. If it was like that, the playerbase would have been all "well this is a shit model and I won't pay! However, might you tune it down, I might still consider it".

What ended up happening is them just putting it all out and shocking the playerbase. Now the stigma is "well this is a shit model and I won't pay! Also, because you're such scum for not saying anything beforehand and don't seem to care about us one bit, I'm out and won't look back at this ever again. You lost all my trust!"

The difference is pretty clear. The 2nd situation causes a huge panic and the initial backlash becomes many times greater than if it had only been "Suggested". This is an implementation already in. It get's even worse when you take Jorb's comments into account. They are all the same "don't like it? Don't pay and leave, we don't care". This has been their attitude for as long as Haven has existed and is not really surprising. The difference is that in the past, it was about design decisions and the people who got put off by this would eventually come around OR only a small % of the core playerbase would leave. Jorb's "nofcksgiven" attitude towards design is actualy VERY welcome by our playerbase. It's exactly the design philosophy that made the game as great as it was and is the reason we have such a bonded playerbase.

However, this is not game design. This is monetization and monetization is a COMPLETELY seperate matter from game design. The people who will be put off by this are not only the people who are not that bonded with the game, but a lot of the CORE userbase too. The people who CARE the most, the people who MAKE this community.

Jorb/Loftar seem to be missing that a big part of what made haven a success has been the COMMUNITY itself as much as the game. I fckin love the shit out of this game (sorry for the words, mods), but I don't think I could last even a few weeks without knowing that there are a few hundred people playing in the same world. People to interact with it. Haven is a social experiment and BECAUSE it's a social experiment, the playerbase MUST stay. Even a portion of it.

This monetization could destroy any trust that the CORE playerbase has and kill off the population. If the game loses the population and goes down to <100 people online, we are donezo. The game will NOT be the same in any form, when there aren't many people left.

They don't care, because they don't really care about how much money they make. They care about their baby game, which they love so much. That is fine by itself. Better than fine even, it's a perfect design philosophy when making something beautiful.

HOWEVER, they don't really consider that by killing off the majority of the playerbase, they will kill off almost everyone and the game will wither away to the point where there won't a social experiment anymore and the COMMUNITY will suffer the greatest. At this point, it's the same case as when a genius is born and decides to just play video games all his life and not help humanity. The niche of sandboxes NEED this game and they don't care about it. They care about the GAME, not the COMMUNITY. It's selfish. It pisses me off to no end, since I was the same way, thinking that personal happiness > living to expectations put into me as a human being. I could just play video games all day, cause I love it, but because I got talent for some things, I know I would not be able to live with myself in 10 years, knowing that I didn't achieve anything notable. I've gotten into university this year and will start working towards this goal. Jorb and Loftar, on the other hand, don't feel this humanly function of achievement. They don't want to help the niche life, but just play around with their little toy known as Haven. It's so fckin annoying, because they HAVE the right to do it, but it's just not the right thing to do.
Last edited by Felkin on Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Felkin

The Store

Postby Mopstar » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:50 pm

So haven and hearth is pay to play now?
Wolfang wrote:
+1 I don't know how he did it, but Mopstar did steal his own stuff. You have to be a pretty hardcore thief to be able to steal your own things!
Mopstar

damn p2p, g2g ;/

Postby tazu » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:50 pm

gah, dats not good guys, better back old haven with brand new world
tazu

Limit?

Postby killerdude54 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:50 pm

Why the limit on playtime q.q?
killerdude54

Re: P2P plan

Postby milf2000 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:50 pm

surely this is some kind of sick meme
milf2000

Re: The Store

Postby Felkin » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:51 pm

Yep!
Felkin

Re: Limit?

Postby marcinj » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:51 pm

bad idea gg
Last edited by marcinj on Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
marcinj

Re: Limit?

Postby Pazzy » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:51 pm

48 hours of initial Play Time
12 hours of Play Time refilled monthly
Full and unlimited Gameplay

R u fkn srs?
Pazzy

Re: The Store

Postby werty894 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:51 pm

The fuck is this

The fuck is that