Oil.

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Oil, lanterns, deepfryers, boat engines.

Postby JustasJ » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:25 am

I would add sunflower seeds and their oil to Lexi's list. Could be used for frying meat or onions to make these more nutritious.
Throughout the centuries there were men who took first steps, down new roads, armed with nothing but their own vision.
- Ayn Rand
JustasJ

Postby Jackard » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:07 am

Lexi wrote:Motor oil flavored chips.

youre a monster
Jackard

Re: Oil.

Postby JustasJ » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:21 pm

Pitch is a much better idea. Leechless swamps are so useless. Let people dig them for fuel and their existence will have a meaning.
Throughout the centuries there were men who took first steps, down new roads, armed with nothing but their own vision.
- Ayn Rand
JustasJ

Postby Avadrea » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:32 am

Motors no. But clockwork yes.

This era and local was famous for its clockworks. Tinkering would be an interesting skill. One could make clocks, compasses, music boxes, ect.
Avadrea

Postby Chakravanti » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:29 am

It's just as easy to use lard for a lot of things. I still want Lye from hardwood ash and glycerin. Compost bins. Leech compost for potassium nitrate, Leech hardwood ash for lye, use lye on fat, cook, scrape glycerin from soap add potassium nitrate, glycerin and sawdust to get the poor man's dynamite (e.g primitive explosives).

I mention specific chemicals and while such chemicals could be reduxed out of the leeching it's much more practical to just boil off a bit and add the concentrated leech-water to the sawdust,. Safer too, because the sawdust will be active and very dangerous when dry.there should be a Dex/2=Q requirement for handling.
Well what is this that I can't see
With ice cold hands takin' hold of me
Well I am death, none can excel
-Ralph Stanley, O Death!
Chakravanti

Postby JustasJ » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:02 am

Chakravanti wrote:It's just as easy to use lard for a lot of things. I still want Lye from hardwood ash and glycerin. Compost bins. Leech compost for potassium nitrate, Leech hardwood ash for lye, use lye on fat, cook, scrape glycerin from soap add potassium nitrate, glycerin and sawdust to get the poor man's dynamite (e.g primitive explosives).

I mention specific chemicals and while such chemicals could be reduxed out of the leeching it's much more practical to just boil off a bit and add the concentrated leech-water to the sawdust,. Safer too, because the sawdust will be active and very dangerous when dry.there should be a Dex/2=Q requirement for handling.

What for? For blowing up log walls or large-scale mining? Or both?
- Ayn Rand
JustasJ

Postby vikingdragons » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:37 pm

well, explosives were getting popular in the late middle ages...and pitch was an amazingly brutal defense against siege (pitch cauldrons, catapults firing bundles of hay covered in burning pitch, pitch ditches which would be ignited by archers with flaming arrows (which would be awesome all by itself), balista with flaming projectiles. so pitch would be awesome, and maybe be able to mine explosive materials, but those didn't really get big till the end of the middle ages
"A word to the wise ain't necessary. It's the stupid ones that need the advice." -Bill Cosby
vikingdragons

Postby Potjeh » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:31 pm

Chakravanti wrote:It's just as easy to use lard for a lot of things. I still want Lye from hardwood ash and glycerin. Compost bins. Leech compost for potassium nitrate, Leech hardwood ash for lye, use lye on fat, cook, scrape glycerin from soap add potassium nitrate, glycerin and sawdust to get the poor man's dynamite (e.g primitive explosives).

And with modern know-how you could also refine pitchblende. Does that mean we should be able to build nukes?
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby Gauteamus » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:39 pm

Fish oil (and by extension, whale oil (yes, whales are fish) are used for both illumination and health purposes.

also, tar made from pine trees could find unnumbered uses in the hearthlands, not limited to ropemaking, which makes me want to make an extended post on Reeperbahns, yarn, string and rope
Image<<Bottleneck>>
What if Rosa Parks had a car?
Gauteamus

Previous

Return to Critique & Ideas