Skills for foraging/make it more exiting

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Skills for foraging/make it more exiting

Postby Ejnekor » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:06 pm

I love foraging and I was thinking about how to make it more fun and less chore and came to that idea. Maybe it will be interesting.

Issues:
- picking up forages is not exiting, except those rare times you pick up additional rare stuff (spider, web, clover)
- when you do it for a village - it becomes more of a chore, than fun (even though i LOVE foraging).
- a lot of plants are useless and you just ignore them

While foraging I realized that I have more fun raiding anthills, than picking up herbs and stuff. And it is simple thing why - there are so much stuff in there. Everything is somewhat useful (to eat or to study) and curious are really nice from it too. You have this "what is in there what is in there" feeling all the time!

You kind of have this hope (spider/web) when you pick up flowers, but they are so rare, that you forget about this at all.

Ideas:
- create a more common worse version of spider/web or something similar to gather from herbs. Maybe certain herbs may give different additional stuff to drop. Maybe they will drop something currently ingame - some ants, ladybug, gurbs, fireflies? Not 100%, of course, but less rare than spider/web.
- implement skills similar to mining/farming ones, that will improve foraging. Either higher chance to get something additional from it or even get second version of picked up object?

And idea that was around forums for a while - implement recipes for herbs, much like royal toadstool which would be adequate to craft and use for a village :) And, maybe more things for herb healing too!

Thank you for reading :)
Ejnekor

Re: Skills for foraging/make it more exiting

Postby bojackson » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:31 pm

I like it and agree, seemed like during salem dev they started to do this more so with things. - Thinking of the gingerbread man, he wasn't really common or rare but just avg, and gave avg points. There was other stuff like the curio from digging in salem was similar.

I would like to see more of these kinds of curios. more common but not so uber lp I guess.
Ohhh that's how I make a sig, cool
bojackson

Postby chrisrock » Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:41 pm

i want more curios too.
feels like there's way too little and i'm tired of always studying the same things except for the (very) occasional fate curio.
chrisrock

Postby molenga » Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:21 am

I like it, there could be more colors for ladybugs and dragonflies for example, maybe a saphire dragonfly that gave more LP then emerald and less than ruby? Or a super rare golden dragonfly that gives more LP then ruby, but is much harder to find.
molenga

Postby Asgaroth22 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:55 am

Ejnekor wrote:- implement skills similar to mining/farming ones, that will improve foraging. Either higher chance to get something additional from it or even get second version of picked up object?

Thank you for reading :)

That would be nice. Why would there be skills to support miner/farmer class, but none to support the foragers, on which depends much of any village's progress?
“The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.”

Douglas Adams

W3-W13 - mostly hermit, with a few brief periods as a crafter/farmer to various villages
Asgaroth22

Return to Critique & Ideas