Haven & Hearth 2 NON-PvP

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Haven & Hearth 2 NON-PvP

Postby Amanda44 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:06 am

You know Loftar is right, the zombie game H1Z1 has a non pvp server and most of the players on them are ten times worse than on the pvp one!
It always seems to me that they failed at the pvp so came onto the pve to vent and feel like a tough guy, lol, they do the exact same things as loftar was saying, build their base right on top of yours, run in and grab your loot, try and trap you in buildings and by far the worst .... follow you around - literally for hours - just saying utter rubbish, honestly it is soooo annoying!

You end up dying to go back to the pvp server just to kick some butt! :lol:
Koru wrote:
It is like in Lord of the Flies, nobody controlls what is going on in the hearthlands, those weaker and with conscience are just fucked.
Animal lovers - Show us your pets! - viewtopic.php?f=40&t=44444#p577254
Amanda44

Postby RickyP602 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:07 am

WyrmLynch wrote:
loftar wrote:
WyrmLynch wrote:its okay man its just my idea thats why this is the critique &ideas section plus like i said someone of us would like something like this plus everyone would have a choice PVp or Non-Pvp really simple u could play H&H2 normal or play H&H2 Non Pvp but its up to yall i was asking this cause i was like why dont H&H2 dont have a server dediacted without Pvp

Do I really have to spell it out for you? My point is this: What do you do on a non-PvP server when someone:
  • Starts building a village idol to claim the land around you;
  • Takes ten alts to block the exit of your palisade gate;
  • Builds a palisade around your claim;
  • Plants a tight forest all around you, or conversely, cuts down all the trees around you;
  • Simply stands in your way;
  • Runs away with the carcass of the animal you just killed; or
  • Just decides to settle down next to you while you don't like him?
These, and many other conceivable actions, are far easier ways to grief people than is PvP, and PvP is the only thing that keeps them somewhat in check. Therefore, removing PvP results not in less griefing, but in more.

In case it's not obvious, I'm not denying that some people just want to live in peace, and I don't think it would be a bad thing if they could do that. But removing PvP does not result in that.

-_- the exact definition of don't come up with a Stupid solution anyways case close i dont even know why i bother

idea flies over head....
RickyP602

Postby loftar » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:27 am

WyrmLynch wrote:-_- the exact definition of don't come up with a Stupid solution

What does this even mean?

spawningmink wrote:this is a perma death game get used to it to get lost ;)

Just for the record, I would like to state how I do not agree with this sentiment. The reason we made death in Haven permanent was not to create a LoL clone or even in any more general way to encourage PvP-centric gameplay per se. The life of the LARPer, crafter, hermit, carebear or merchant are just as valid playstyles in my mind as is that of the raider, and that the game does not manage to cater better to them is something I consider a failure and would like to improve on.

Of course, I recognize that removing PvP or permadeath are not productive steps towards that end.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby TeckXKnight » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:36 am

Amanda44 wrote:You know Loftar is right, the zombie game H1Z1 has a non pvp server and most of the players on them are ten times worse than on the pvp one!
It always seems to me that they failed at the pvp so came onto the pve to vent and feel like a tough guy, lol, they do the exact same things as loftar was saying, build their base right on top of yours, run in and grab your loot, try and trap you in buildings and by far the worst .... follow you around - literally for hours - just saying utter rubbish, honestly it is soooo annoying!

You end up dying to go back to the pvp server just to kick some butt! :lol:

ARK is somewhat similar. You end up with a lot of passive aggressiveness and people looking for any and every dirty trick that you can do to one another. There's also a lot of "fighting" over where people settle. Everyone wants the most attractive real estate and no one wants you to settle on top of resource spawns and block them. So, of course, everyone settles on top of all of the rare resource spawns and blocks them from spawning. It's very frustrating when someone settles all of the metal spawns on the mountains with metal foundations and just blocks any metal, obsidian, or crystals from spawning for 2+ weeks. In a PvP server you could just break them, but in PvE you have to sit there and wait for them to become inactive before you're allowed to demolish them.

There used to be the same issue with caves and underwater caves so now you're flat out are blocked from building around/in them on PvE servers.
TeckXKnight

Postby Raffeh » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:47 am

WyrmLynch wrote:-_- the exact definition of don't come up with a Stupid solution anyways case close i dont even know why i bother

loftar made so much sense in this thread.

No solution was given, a explanation of why the way it is at the moment actually prevents greifing rather than your suggestion.
TRAITORS WILL BE SHOT.
Raffeh

Postby Leksar » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:50 am

Why don't you just move to the some direction for 8-10 hours ? I'm pretty sure it will be just like a non-pvp server.
Leksar

Postby maze » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:25 am

[quote="WyrmLynch"][/quote]

*cought* loftar is the dev *cought*

*cought* maker of the game *cought*

and there is number of players here. who still are from the Era of HnH peace and grief...

non-pvp didnt work. we trapped people in their base. they were never able to get out :)
WARNING! MY ENGISH SUCKS.
game ideas
maze

Postby Sevenless » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:45 pm

This game could be made in different form, we've seen various sandboxes try out different solutions to this. In the end none of the sandbox modes make everyone happy. Passive aggressive griefing/drama in pure pve, Aggressive griefing/drama in pvp. Each one caters to a personality type, but griefing never goes away.

Any one game can't satisfy every player, and for the sake of community I really hate sharded MMOs or quasi MMOs like the ones we've seen rising in the wake of multiplayer Minecraft's success. Which leads to the unsatisfactory, but commonly quoted answer of "If that's what you want you'll have to look elsewhere". There are sandbox games out there that offer PvE options of current.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby uncleseano » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:23 pm

I play this game like a nice version of farmville... Sorry lads but I know I ain't the only one. Been doing this since world 3-4 maybe, even through both Salem worlds including the hand over to MM Tribe, ahem I mean John Carver or whatever his name is. I only ever got dropped once because I robbed carrots off a claimed village without knowing about scents etc...

Point being if you WANT a non-PVP server just find a quiet patch and be careful out there and you'll be fine. Hundreds of people do the same, getting ganked is kinda like a lightening bolt from the heavens. In this game as long as you arent holding a metal rode (asking for it on the forums) people WILL leave you alone.

The end result? A very cool, great in-dept survival sim where the elements AND other jerks are after you. Just look small and you'll be left alone
uncleseano

Postby jorb » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:30 pm

uncleseano wrote:The end result? A very cool, great in-dept survival sim where the elements AND other jerks are after you. Just look small and you'll be left alone

Thanks!
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas